A Very Special Dakota,..... British Airborne Forces Dak during its early service with RAF Coastal Command,.....1/72nd Airfix kit.

I too know that aircraft well from when it was at Aldershot at the Paras museum. I may be wrong but I believe it was flown for some time at Farnborough before it became a static display: if so I have seen it in the air on numerous ocassions.

That is a superb model in very different colours - very well done indeed.

P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

I too know that aircraft well from when it was at Aldershot at the Paras museum. I may be wrong but I believe it was flown for some time at Farnborough before it became a static display: if so I have seen it in the air on numerous ocassions.

That is a superb model in very different colours - very well done indeed.

P

Thanks P,...... This one flew into Odiham and was then transported to Aldershot by road. I think that you are thinking of the Dakota which is currently used by the BBMF at Conngsby as it was at Farnborough back in the 80`s wearing its raspberry ripple scheme,..... I used to see it regularly. I even saw it landing on the day that one of the undercarriage legs gave way, leaving the outer wing to scrape along the runway in a shower of sparks,..... I was watching from the training area. I believe that the damaged wing panel may have been swapped with one from our Dak in Aldershot?

Cheers,

Tony 

Beautiful model, Tony! I do wish they had kept her in that scheme when she was displayed. It seems to be as with Lancasters - every single displayed example has to be painted in WWII colours, even though they both enjoyed (and the C-47 is still enjoying) long post-war careers.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful model, Tony! I do wish they had kept her in that scheme when she was displayed. It seems to be as with Lancasters - every single displayed example has to be painted in WWII colours, even though they both enjoyed (and the C-47 is still enjoying) long post-war careers.

Regards,

Jason

I know what you mean Jason,...... but the aircraft is representing the Dakota`s used in the Airborne Forces role and although the VIP scheme is nice,...and it was indeed retained for many years on display (see my WIP)....... in this case it wasn`t suitable for the role and when it needed repainting it had camouflage colours applied to make it look more war like. All of the VIP interior had been ripped out before delivery too.

Cheers mate,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

A great looking Dakota, Tony.  I too remember this aircraft well from its days at Aldershot, having visited the Airborne Forces Museum on a number of occasions by bike back in the 70s. I have a distinct memory of standing by it watching a Saab Viggen being put through its paces from the Farnborough Air Show. 

I really like this post-War scheme.  May I ask what paint you used for the natural metal?  It looks really good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Dakota, Tony.  I too remember this aircraft well from its days at Aldershot, having visited the Airborne Forces Museum on a number of occasions by bike back in the 70s. I have a distinct memory of standing by it watching a Saab Viggen being put through its paces from the Farnborough Air Show. 

I really like this post-War scheme.  May I ask what paint you used for the natural metal?  It looks really good. 

Cheers,...... and yeah happy memories eh? I used rattle can Tamiya Bare Metal Silver,..... with matt varnish brushed over it,...... I find that it dulls it down and in this way is quite a good match for RAF High Speed Silver. The White was rattle can, as was the cheatline for which I used Tamiya US Navy Sea Blue.

All the best

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Tony. I used to pass Browning barracks and this Dakota on the way to school and spent many a quiet weekend afternoon in the Airborne Forces Museum; the new one at Duxford isn’t a patch on the old one. I had a black and white photo of my dad posing in front of the Dakota after his successful completion of his Parachute Regiment training, sadly it was lost. Thanks for your build. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for your very kind comments,... they are very much appreciated.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:38 PM, Rickoshea52 said:

Very nice Tony. I used to pass Browning barracks and this Dakota on the way to school and spent many a quiet weekend afternoon in the Airborne Forces Museum; the new one at Duxford isn’t a patch on the old one. I had a black and white photo of my dad posing in front of the Dakota after his successful completion of his Parachute Regiment training, sadly it was lost. Thanks for your build. 

Cheers mate,.... then you`ll know very well how special this Dak is to the `family',....... and yes the old museum at Browning Barracks was superb,...... it feels too clinical at Duxford. Sadly Browning Barracks and Monty Lines are no more,......... they were a dump,..... but they were `our' dump and full of memories. Aldershot seems a bit dead without the Airborne Forces in town,...... there is going to be a paratrooper statue unveiled in Princess Gardens in July,..... money raised by ex Para`s.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great build. I also know her well. I road moved her from Aldershot to Colchester via North Weald where she was repainted. 

Well you are a thief then, as it belongs in Aldershot!! .......Only kidding mate,........ it belongs with the Brigade wherever it moves and well done on the move,....... I bet there were a few seized bolts and the need for some WD-40??? Didn`t realise that the re paint was done at North Weald either.

Glad you like the miniature version too,..... it is nice to hear that from somebody who knows her `intimately'!!

Cheers

Tony