Daphne C ‒ The two lives of a birdcage Corsair

Toryu

I'm certainly not the only one whose enthusiasm for the Chance Vought F4U is as old as his modelling obsession. This is my latest Corsair from four years ago.

47052435152_980dd95dd6_b.jpg

BuNo. 02350 arrived on Guadalcanal on 12 February 1943 with VMF-124, the first Marine Corsair squadron in the theatre. As Black (later White) 13 it was assigned to Lt Ken Walsh, who claimed some of the 6 victories of his first tour in this aircraft.

46190892895_fae4ef445b_o.jpg

2/Lt Kenneth A. Walsh - VMF 124                                             1/Lt James N. Cupp - VMF 213

When VMF-124 stood down for R&R in April their Corsairs were handed over to VMF-213 and this combat-hardened fighter started a second life with Lt James N. Cupp. Christened 'Daphne C' after his wife it was now identified as White 7. The faithful Corsair helped Cupp record his first two victories before it was retired in July 1943 when fresh F4Us arrived.

47052434362_55aa4f1565_b.jpg

46190893805_e56b0f9de2_b.jpg

46190894295_f2295e28e7_b.jpg

47052433572_f7e3874536_b.jpg

The Hobbycraft kit is a reasonably good product for a start. I followed my practice of using what's available in the aftermarket* plus some scratch-building of propeller, wheel wells and air intakes. The dihedral of the outer wing section is too shallow and was increased, and the span of the tail is a bit too short (the original one as well as the CMK option) which I considered negligible and did not correct. The most difficult operation was fixing the landing flaps in the down position.

46190893295_b3fc20f29a_b.jpg

47052432892_f414ee3721_o.jpg

Finally I added a little gimmick by making the upper cowling removable to access the engine for maintenance.

46190894775_8ca1a1a258_b.jpg

I hope my efforts match the performance of this outstanding fighter.

Thanks for looking, Michael

* After-market parts of this build: Eduard upgrade set, CMK cockpit floor, Eduard cockpit details, Vector engine, Vector cowling ring, CMK control surfaces, True Details wheels, Quickboost undercarriage covers, Squadron canopy

REFERENCES

CHANCE-VOUGHT F4U CORSAIR, AERO SERIES NO.11, EDWARD T. MALONEY / UWE FEIST, FALLBROOK, 1967

CORSAIR ACES – THE BENT-WING BIRD OVER THE PACIFIC, WALTER A. MUSCIANO, NEW YORK, 1979

F4U CORSAIR IN COLOR, FIGHTING COLORS NO.3, JIM SULLIVAN, CARROLLTON, 1981

F4U CORSAIR, FREDERICK A. JOHNSON, JANE'S, TOKYO, 1983

CORSAIR ACES OF WORLD WAR 2, OSPREY AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES 8, MARK STYLING, LONDON, 1995

CORSAIR 1940-1970 – 30 YEARS OF FILIBUSTERING, BRUNO PAUTIGNY, PARIS, 2003

INTERIOR COLORS OF US AIRCRAFT 1941-45, MARTIN WALIGORSKI, IPMS STOCKHOLM ORG, 2005

MODELLING THE F4U CORSAIR, OSPREY MODELLING 24, BRETT GREEN, BOTLEY, 2005

THE VOUGHT F4U CORSAIR – A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE, MDF 18, RAFE MORRISSEY / JOE HEGEDUS, KINGSWAY, 2010

F4U CORSAIR WALK AROUND, DAVID DOYLE, CARROLLTON, 2011

VOUGHT F4U CORSAIR, WARPAINT SERIES NO.70, CHARLES STAFRACE, DENBIGH EAST

• Like 37

16 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Very nice - shows how faithfully following your references result in a very realistic and believable finish. Your detailing is excellent throughout. Such a nice scheme too. 

4 years since you did this one? Must be time to do another..!! 

Thank you!

I actually invest about 3 months in research before I begin with a new model. Even with my limited scope of themes there is always a lot to learn (and to throw overboard in terms of alleged wisdom!). I believe my models profit when I immerse myself into the historic context.

When I realised that this model is already four years old I had the same idea, but at that time I built two Corsairs in parallel and still feel somewhat saturated. It is a complex aircraft. I need some more pictures of the other one before I can present it here.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Thank you!

I actually invest about 3 months in research before I begin with a new model. Even with my limited scope of themes there is always a lot to learn (and to throw overboard in terms of alleged wisdom!). I believe my models profit when I immerse myself into the historic context.

When I realised that this model is already four years old I had the same idea, but at that time I built two Corsairs in parallel and still feel somewhat saturated. It is a complex aircraft. I need some more pictures of the other one before I can present it here.

Cheers, Michael

I admire your dedication (beats my grab a few pics from the internet and read a potted history 😄). The work certainly shows in the finished model. That's an awesomely presented Corsair. :thumbsup:

More please. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2019 at 18:59, Greg Law said:

I look forward to the next one.

Thanks, the next one is a couple of weeks from completion!

Meanwhile 'Daphne C' enjoys her second life 😄

Awesome birdcage! Beautifully and realistically finished and weathered, and you are to be congratulated and admired for the job you did on the extended flaps- you even got the cove panels that covered the gaps  when the flaps were dropped- very nice detail often overlooked. How about a cannon-armed F4U-1c to go with this one? 👍Now, look what you've done- you've gotten @Corsairfoxfouruncle all excited! Last link is a walk around of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum's F4U-1 that has been restored to represent an F4U-1C. A very easy but unusual conversion, IMHO!

Mike

https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U-1C

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/NAS/pages/Vought-F4U-1C-Corsair-White-177-taken-at-various-profile-angles-04.html

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f4u/f4u_walk8.shtml

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Now, look what you've done- you've gotten @Corsairfoxfouruncle 

Yes the 1C has always been one i liked. Ive built two of them over the years. Planning on my 3rd build as we speak. The Cavanaugh Myseum Restoration has one minor inaccuracy visually that i pick up on everytime i see it. See if you can spot it. Thanks for the videos BTW

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Awesome birdcage! Beautifully and realistically finished and weathered, and you are to be congratulated and admired for the job you did on the extended flaps- you even got the cove panels that covered the gaps  when the flaps were dropped- very nice detail often overlooked. How about a cannon-armed F4U-1c to go with this one? 👍Now, look what you've done- you've gotten @Corsairfoxfouruncle all excited! Last link is a walk around of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum's F4U-1 that has been restored to represent an F4U-1C. A very easy but unusual conversion, IMHO!

Mike

https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U-1C

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/NAS/pages/Vought-F4U-1C-Corsair-White-177-taken-at-various-profile-angles-04.html

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f4u/f4u_walk8.shtml

Thank you for your kind comment and the encouragement. The -1C looks really punchy. I also like the -4 and -5, and while working on my Corsair I was thinking how nice a full range collection would be.

But alas, I have so many projects. With 6 months on average for one model I guess my two F4Us must do for the rest of my modelling life!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Cavanaugh Myseum Restoration has one minor inaccuracy visually that i pick up on everytime i see it. See if you can spot it

I'm no Corsair expert like you are, Dennis, but looking at the walk around photos again, I see three inaccuracies in their restoration. 1st- none of the -1C's had that "shoe" on the bottom of the outboard 20mm fairing for an HVAR; (I think they used a cannon "bucket" from an F4U-4/5 it looks like to me.) 2nd, the museum -1C has what looks like   a C-series R-2800, and none of the -1C's were fitted with that version, which IIRC, didn't appear until the F4U-4; 3rd the museum -1C has the step in the RH inboard flap section, which didn't appear until the late Goodyear FG-1D production run, IIRC Bet @Dana Bell or Jim Sullivan can set me straight. They did get the spoiler on the RH LE correct, though. I can't tell from any of the walk around photos, but they might not have replaced the six cartridge case ejector slots for the .50cal guns with the correct four larger ones for the 20mm cannon, but maybe simulated them with black paint?  So, how'd I do? Hopefully, I'm still president of the Texas chapter of the CFFU fan club!

BTW- you're welcome!

Mike

Been shaking kit boxes and working on what needs to be done to make the "First of the Many" as seen in the link below. I have 2-3 conversion articles in 1/72 and 1/48, but I think I want to go down a different path than they did to get one- sure is a handsome beast with that short fuselage and those yellow wings!

I apologize to Toryu for cluttering up his post- yowzah! Every time I look at his Corsair, I like it even more!

https://www.google.com/search?q=XF4U-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo1_Sx1dLgAhUHZawKHdKCDPwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=654#imgrc=fmRLlKnfmIIFrM:&spf=1550952828189

• Like 2

• Toryu changed the title to Daphne C ‒ The two lives of a birdcage Corsair