KZKT-537L 1/35 Trumpeter

flashlight

Hello all,

this is my first post here apart from my introduction in the new member-thread.

I want to show you the progress of my current project. Initially started the kit about three years ago, but the project got stalled and forgotten. Recently I discovered it again and heaved it up to my workbench.

The kit is an easy and straightforward build with a good fit of the parts. I was only disappointed by massive spruegates in some places, but otherwise there were no big problems at all. I build the tractor straight out of the box. It will get the color scheme that is depicted on the box.

KZKT-537-L-01.jpg

Most of the main components were already done, I only had to do the interior of the cabin, attach some small parts and the windows. Unfortunately I did not take pics during the initial building steps. The chassis was already sprayed in matte black. After finishing the interior and attaching the small parts and the windows I masked the windows with the enclosed adhesive masks and sprayed the components with light blue. (Gunze H 417 - RLM 76) This is the current status:

KZKT-537-L-02a.jpg

This is how it looks like when all the components are stuck together:

KZKT-537-L-03.jpg

KZKT-537-L-04.jpg

KZKT-537-L-05.jpg

The next steps will be:

- mask off the light blue areas

- spray russian green all over

- peel off the masks and paint the black outlines by hand

I hope that this will work out fine. I'll keep you in touch, if you are interested.

Any critcs and suggestions are welcome!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 6

Hello all,

there was some progress with the big russian aircraft tractor.

According to the steps I wrote in the last post, I first masked off the pattern. This is the stuff I use for masking, you can peel it off easily without stains.

KZKT-537-L-07.jpg

Masking is done, now the beast went to the paint shop.

Before:

KZKT-537-L-06.jpg

After:

KZKT-537-L-08.jpg

The result looks quite good, I will have to do some minor touch ups afterwards. The color is A.MIG 932 Russian Base.

KZKT-537-L-11.jpg

KZKT-537-L-13.jpg

KZKT-537-L-15.jpg

Oh! There is one spot where I have to remove the mask, just seen it looking at the pic.

Now the fun part can begin!

KZKT-537-L-16.jpg

That's all for now! Any critics and suggestions are welcome!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 6

@AndyRM101 : Hi Andy, thank you very much for your comment. Yes, doing the black lines is funny indeed, you need a lot of patience and a steady hand, both of which are what I don't have! 😆

This is the status as of today, I think the pattern will be finished tomorrow.

KZKT-537-L-17.jpg

KZKT-537-L-18.jpg

KZKT-537-L-19.jpg

KZKT-537-L-20.jpg

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 8

Hello all,

a small update on my project today.

Now all the blue areas have got their black outlines, the pattern is finished now. It still needs some touchups here and there, but in general it's done. Noticed that I forgot a short black line in the back - must have been blind when I checked it! Well it'll be fixed soon.

KZKT-537-L-22.jpg

KZKT-537-L-23.jpg

KZKT-537-L-26.jpg

KZKT-537-L-27.jpg

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 4

Hello all,

today I show you a small update on my project. I try to give the tractor a slightly used appearance. I sprayed the upper surfaces with a lighter tone of the green, put some pigments onto the cargo bay, did some drybrushing of a darker green in areas where I thought it would be necessary. I also assembled the wheel hubs and stuck the tires on just to see how it all fits. All main components are still not attached to the chassis for a better handling during the next steps.

The next steps will be attaching the small parts, pin wash, panel line wash, some additional pigments and filter. Also I will have to treat the tires somehow to make them look more realistic. I also will have to figure out the dimensions of the concrete blocks that I will put onto the cargo bay as ballast.

This is the current status:

KZKT-537-L-33.jpg

KZKT-537-L-32.jpg

KZKT-537-L-34.jpg

KZKT-537-L-35.jpg

Any suggestions and critics are welcome!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

here is an update on my long time project at last. I have made some slow progress during the last weeks. I gave the tractor black and brown pinwash, a matte coat and added some of the smaller parts. There is still much to do attaching many more small parts like jerry cans, fire extinguishers, hooks, mudguards and lights. The tyres will get some treatment to make them look more realistic. Anyway I am getting closer to the finish line.

This is the current status of my project. The main components are still not fixed to the chassis, I plan to put some concrete blocks onto the cargo bay, still figuring out the dimensions and how to build them.

KZKT-537-L-36.jpg

KZKT-537-L-37.jpg

KZKT-537-L-38.jpg

KZKT-537-L-39.jpg

KZKT-537-L-40.jpg

KZKT-537-L-41.jpg

KZKT-537-L-43.jpg

KZKT-537-L-44.jpg

Any suggestions and critics are welcome!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 6

Nice work on this, looking forward to seeing this completed.

If the tyres are separate vinyl items to the hubs you can put a small self tapping screw through the centre of the tread into the hub which compresses the tyre on one side which gives the impression of weight. With the screw at the bottom it's hidden from view when the model is displayed.

Roger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roger,

thank you very much for your comment. This is a very useful suggestion for the tyres! Anyway, the tyres are still not fixed to the hubs, because I want to give them a used look.

Have a nice day!

Nick

Hi all,

today there is only a minor progress to show. I just managed to attach some grab handles, the jerry cans and the fire extinguishers. I mainly focused on the tyres and did some experiments, you can see the result. They look better now, maybe they will get some brown wash additionally. Also the hubs will get some wash - either grey or brown, maybe both. The jerry cans need to go back to the paint shop to get another coat of color and some pin wash.

This is the current status:

KZKT-537-L-45.jpg

KZKT-537-L-46.jpg

KZKT-537-L-47.jpg

KZKT-537-L-48.jpg

That's all for now.

Critiques and suggestions are welcome!

Have a nice day

Nick

Edited by flashlight
typo
  • Like 4

Did you consider using a fine tip black permanent marker or artists' pen for the black outlining?  I used an artists' permanent pen on a couple of WW1 French tanks and it worked out well.  Much easier than a brush, I found.  But I guess there is a question of colour-fastness long-term.

Oh yes, the result is really good.  I wasn't questioning the result in any way.  Far better than I could manage, hence my cheating with pens.

The pens I used, Faber-Castell Pitt Artists, didn't bleed for me.  My first over-coat was a Mr Color flat from a rattle can.  There was a final coat of Testors Dullcote.  Can't speak for other varnishes.

Thank you very much! So I might look for those Faber-Castell pens. The "permanent" markers I know can be easily wiped off with after shave, that's why I didn't want to take the risk of using the markers.

Have a nice day!

Nick

• 1 month later...

Some progress at last!

I am sorry that you had to wait so long for news, but lots of real life work only made it possible to get on with this project last week. There is not so much progress to see, but I have managed to attach all the lights and lamps, rear view mirrors and some more small details. I also did some additional weathering and added the decals to the front bumper. Now only some details of the front bumper, the wipers and the mudguards are left, so the project is close to the finish line now.

Just a few quick shots of the current status:

KZKT-537-L-49.jpg

KZKT-537-L-50.jpg

KZKT-537-L-51.jpg

Critiques and suggestions are always welcome!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 4

Hi Andy,

thank you very much for your comment. The chassis already got some dust, so maybe I will do some more. The wheels definitely will get some, especially the hubs need some treatment.

Have anice day!

Nick

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

my project has reached the finish line at last. During the last days the last details were attached, all the main components were glued to the chassis, the chassis, the wheelhubs and the mudguards got some dust, so I call it finished now.

Here are a few quick shots, more and better pics will be posted tomorrow in the "Ready for Inspection"-forum.

KZKT-537-L-52.jpg

KZKT-537-L-53.jpg

KZKT-537-L-54.jpg

KZKT-537-L-55.jpg

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 5

• 8 months later...