Monogram 1/48 Boeing B-29 Superfortress

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Mate, if there is much more brass to go in there I think you might have solved your nose-weight concerns... :lol: 

Seriously, very impressed with getting the interior 'padding' to fit that compound curve B) 

Cheers,

Stew

All it took was violence not in keeping with usual model-making degrees :D

2 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Can I ask what glue you used to stick the lead pellets into the wheel bay?

If you used PVA, I strongly recommend you clean it out as soon as you can and swap for epoxy or similar. There have been several instances in the model railway world of the lead reacting with the PVA over time, and literally bursting open the place where it was installed. Inside a brass boiler barrel, and the results can be very messy. 

Hi Heather,

I am a deeply, deeply impatient sort of person and if there's a fast way to do something, I'm all over it!

I've used CA for the lead pellets which is what I've always done with the stuff whether on r/c models or plastic. I used to use these all the time before moving house and forgetting I had the bottle!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've used CA for the lead pellets which is what I've always done with the stuff whether on r/c models or plastic.

*theatrically wipes her forehead*

Phew!

I am right there with you the impatience angle!

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There are a few kinks along the edges top and bottom which will be quite apparent in this photograph as is is in real life, but they don't actually project all that much.

At the moment I’m also working with a PE parts for my 1:72 Hind and will try to fill some little gaps between the PE and plastic with a acrylic gloss varnish, as someone suggested. Not so much for a cosmetic, more for a better adhesion I think.

Nice progress, Jamie - very cognitively!

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Can I ask what glue you used to stick the lead pellets into the wheel bay?

If you used PVA, I strongly recommend you clean it out as soon as you can and swap for epoxy or similar. There have been several instances in the model railway world of the lead reacting with the PVA over time, and literally bursting open the place where it was installed. Inside a brass boiler barrel, and the results can be very messy. 

I read on Antrum Rats that a lot CA was the culprit on those issues (I'm now begging for my Me 262 to not go full Alien after some time passes by. Granted, I didn't use much CA).

Edited by Sturmovik

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:05 AM, Sturmovik said:

Granted, I didn't use much CA).

:hmmm:Well, since you're dwelling at the excentric city of Buenos Aires - just like I - I can't for one really fathom why you didn't use PoxiPol instead...?

Much safer (and stronger) than La Gotita. :coolio:

Cheers,

Unc2

On 2/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, Sturmovik said:

I read on Antrum Rats that a lot CA was the culprit on those issues (I'm now begging for my Me 262 to not go full Alien after some time passes by. Granted, I didn't use much CA).

It’s PVA that causes a corrosion issue and the lead expands. I kit build brass locos the same as Heather. CA and Epoxy don’t have the same effect. When your talking of damaging a brass loco kit that costs you about £1k. You need to get it right first time. 

Cheers. 

DSJ

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:hmmm:Well, since you're dwelling at the excentric city of Buenos Aires - just like I - I can't for one really fathom why you didn't use PoxiPol instead...?

Much safer (and stronger) than La Gotita. :coolio:

Cheers,

Unc2

Because I didn´t think about it.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:05 PM, Sturmovik said:

I read on Antrum Rats that a lot CA was the culprit on those issues (I'm now begging for my Me 262 to not go full Alien

Been using C/A and lead for years (30+), never had an issue. 

• Like 1

Man, this brings back memories. I built this kit way back in the late seventies back when I had NO concept of masking off the window frames and painted those suckers by hand with a brush and a (mostly) steady hand. 😊 Your build is coming along great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

Hello all,

The B-29 Super Update Kit is now back in production. Thank you for your patience. Please see my website for pricing and ship times: www.flightlineengineering.com

Kind regards-

Mark

Hi Mark,

What would the postage costs be to the UK?

Ta,

Tony

14 minutes ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

The B-29 Super Update Kit is now back in production. Thank you for your patience. Please see my website for pricing and ship times: www.flightlineengineering.com

:analintruder: That's great news, Mark! Been waiting this set for quite a long spell now.

Ordering mine right away!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

I have been mostly idle of late - I can't really explain why. I've tried a couple of other things but seem reluctant to actually finish anything this year. I've put the undercarriage and exhausts on this, but need to do some chalk pastel weathering:

resized_ebab2464-39f0-471f-b7bc-beb72777

I have another Hellcat partly assembled - I've closed up the fuselage and assembled the wings and tail since:

resized_31b20b00-368a-4884-8cca-28160a99

I thought about finishing this, but a large number of stupid fiddly bits convinced me to just leave it on the shelf of doom. In retrospect, choosing the wingfold option was a mistake. I hate models with folded wings so really should have seen this coming!

resized_0c24af50-eaac-4993-b3ac-38da5bd0

I've been tinkering with this:

resized_4c156a50-ec11-49d7-83d2-94b34ed1

I started butchering some plastic for another sub-assembly of brass. I managed to stab myself under a fingernail with a chisel doing this, so was not really in the mood to do more! The white plastic insert needed to dry properly too before being smoothed over.

85b20fad-77c4-4399-9402-f66c9fce3a9c.jpg

resized_748fc7ac-04fd-4528-883d-4a44d33f

• Like 7

Your Spitfire's looking nice mate, you need to push that one over the line :) 

Regarding the Devastator, that's a shame but I do agree about taking the wing-fold option, it just covers up the model and unless you are chronically short of space to display it or you have a strange predilection for looking at the undersides of aeroplane wings I can't fathom why anyone would prefer to build their models that way... 

I don't know enough about ships to indentify the carrier, but I presume from the camo that it is British?

11 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I managed to stab myself under a fingernail with a chisel

Oof! Nearly got a :cry: instead of a 'like' for that although perhaps a 💜 would be more appropriate :D 

Cheers,

Stew

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Burn the heretic!

[Lovely Hermes, Jamie; which kit?]

I like foldING wings, I just don't like them foldED!

It's the little Flyhawk Hermes. Lovely little kit, but there are many, many pieces!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

this, but need to do some chalk pastel weathering:

resized_ebab2464-39f0-471f-b7bc-beb72777

My eye was drawn unerringly to that tiny beautiful ghostly Walrus in the background Jamie: just goes to show how careful you have to be with comments on wingfolding now that you're being haunted by spectres from the FAA! :ghost:

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Your Spitfire's looking nice mate, you need to push that one over the line :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Done. A long way from my best work, but we both knew this one wasn't going to end well as discussed over cups of tea previously! The photos are a bit over-zoomed and grainy, but I'm struggling with late afternoon lighting and high winds so I couldn't see what I had until afterwards 😂

resized_e637b2a5-f189-495e-aac9-f1fb991a

resized_5b9efb2b-a697-435c-93d9-0d3b3696

resized_37a7d235-076d-4a3a-aa50-8b4d2bee

resized_1edad889-4e0d-4918-83f2-caa078d1

resized_424fc83d-17d4-4962-8ad8-859a0ec8

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Back on with this, I've been working on the flight engineer's station. As always, Eduard levers are fiddly and never quite match the width of the gaps they're supposed to slot through. There are four more pairs and a single still to go on. There are nice pre-coloured panels to go on, but they will be applied after painting for obvious reasons.

Once the levers are in I shall spend some time trying to adjust the quadrant back to round. The brass has etched scores in the back which is supposed to make it easier to bend but in this case just encourages unsightly crinkles. I'd rather it was just plain brass sheet which would take a good rolling as is normal practise for making curved shapes from brass.

resized_55bf4120-d638-4d48-8234-d5349c1e

• Like 5