Monogram 1/48 Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Three things...

1. I need that Flightline set in my life and sod the expense...
  2. It's good to see someone drinking a manly beer rather than that wishy washy pale yellow stuff:D
  3. Point 1 may very well have a detrimentally effect on my ability to carry out point 2, if I ever find one!

Looking forward to the next installment,

Tony

Edited by Tony C
  • Haha 1

I achieved nothing last night. I had meetings from 8am and was in the most boring design review workshop of my entire career until 6:30pm. By the time I got home at 7:30ish I was thoroughly fed up.

Hopefully tonight!

• Like 2

While I certainly want to speak highly of the Flightline set (I have it myself and will use it, when the time is ripe :) ), there's one caveat you may want to think about:

B-29's had individual, differing exhaust/waste gate configurations on each nacelle, while the Flightline set offers copies/mirror copies for all eight stations. I think I can distinguish about three types of main exhaust and waste gate pipes and multiple permutations thereof.... And this is not just a feature of Duxford's B-29, but a normal thing on any B-29.

DSC_0094a.jpg

DSC_0095a.jpg

DSC_0096a.jpg

DSC_0097a.jpg

DSC_0099a.jpg

DSC_0100a.jpg

DSC_0102a.jpg

DSC_0103a.jpg

DSC_0104a.jpg

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good to have pointed out - thanks Jeffrey! (btw are you the Hypersonic guy?)

Maybe some strategic reshaping of the outlets is in order - not too hard I guess :)

It occurs to me that I need PE grilles to go over the turbos. Hmm...

10 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Good to have pointed out - thanks Jeffrey! (btw are you the Hypersonic guy?)

Indeed...

Btw, Metallic Details do a PE set that includes the nacelle turbo grilles. http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/md0007-detailing-set-aircraft-model-b-29-pe

They also have a full set including resin turbos/exhausts (differing) and engine faces, but not as complete as the Flightline set....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I've just about brought this thing to heel and haven't yet had to do anything I didn't want to do. In addition, I haven't yet installed any of the mass in the engine nacelles. There is space ahead of the CofG for almost as much lead shot again in the crew tunnel as is already in there. The tailplanes, elevators, fin and rudder have had a whole heap for plastic shaved out from inside - and they're still very substantial and feel as rigid as they ever did (there's just less risk of punching a hole in a concrete floor if I drop it tail-first now!). I've also managed to get a lot more lead right up front by using tiny balls of lead. I found a small 2.5kg bottle of the stuff in my boxes of r/c stuff that has been neglected since I moved house 5 years ago.

This weighing is far from accurate because with all that lead in the nose it no longer sits happily on the fulcrum at the intended CofG. Now it tries to slide off and as it's nudged forwards or back it swings from going nose up to nose down. In otherwords, it's more or less there and some mass at the engines should see it right:

8cbea671-b0ed-49f9-8e78-db2935254396.jpg

It won't lie still now:

070dce49-e585-40db-8153-8507cfe4053d.jpg

Tailplanes - much thinner, still thicker than most kit parts

57af0940-d05c-49b0-bb88-b58c55560377.jpg

I filled the upper forward turret tub thing with lead:

34b3b5c0-c688-425c-a646-cab7d8b4c5d0.jpg

No ballast has been placed in the bomb bay yet (only inside the tunnel)

62bf9d7b-4d38-41ef-8209-a0084b7752d9.jpg

There was a lot of space to fill with lead still - it's just that cuboid shaped iron weights were inefficient at using curved spaces - the cockpit floor piece now weighs 164g alone:

76bbdfd6-29b2-4a90-8663-6abc41cfc6ee.jpg

• Like 14

Well done, Jamie! 👍 Now the cockpit floor looks like it was plastered with a black caviar - just a bit less expensive than an antigravity stand, I must say... 😋

Looking forward for an updates here.

Cheers! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see you tackling this one Jamie, as I've got one to do myself some day.  I have to say I like the look of the resin super set you got, which may cost me dearly :owww:

Keep up the good work :yes:

• Like 3

Jamie,

Those small lead weights are really nice. 

Just a suggestion from one that built this kit. Before you  glue this thing together, make sure that you test the weights. Tape the entire model together, put a fulcrum under the fuselage in the approx. area of the landing gear and make sure that it tips onto its nose. When it does that, have a long drink of brew and go, 'Ahhhhhhhhhhh, success".

• Like 1

Loving this build. My tuppence on the ballast debate is that tungsten shot from shotgun pellets work well since Tungsten has a density of 19.3g/cm^3 v. Lead which is 11.3. I got my 1/72 b-29 to sit nose down with tungsten under the cockpit and in the engine nacelles. Can't wait to see more of this!

• Like 3

On 2/20/2019 at 7:27 AM, DarylH said:

I've been hoping to see someone use that Flightline set so I'll just pull up a chair and peek over your shoulder:popcorn:

I've been hoping to see it too. I sold a bunch of these kits, but have yet to see anyone actually utilize it in a build(!) 

Kind regards-

Mark/Flightline Engineering

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

I've been hoping to see it too. I sold a bunch of these kits, but have yet to see anyone actually utilize it in a build(!) 

Kind regards-

Mark, thank you for putting your head above the parapet. Should you need more beer tokens please PM me and I will replenish your bar tab through PayPal for a set of these as I’ve got an RAF Washington to do with Kits at War Decals.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Loving this build. My tuppence on the ballast debate is that tungsten shot from shotgun pellets work well since Tungsten has a density of 19.3g/cm^3 v. Lead which is 11.3. I got my 1/72 b-29 to sit nose down with tungsten under the cockpit and in the engine nacelles. Can't wait to see more of this!

That's not a bad shout. I haven't looked into that - are they easy to obtain?

10 hours ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

Kind regards-

Hi Mark, thanks for looking in and I hope I do the set justice. I kinda know what you mean. Much of what we sell just vanishes into the ether. If anything it really shows what a small percentage of the modelling community is active on internet forums etc. I hope that if you decide to make another set of moulds then some of the interest expressed on this thread converts to actual sales for you.

Best regards,

Jamie :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's not a bad shout. I haven't looked into that - are they easy to obtain?

Re Tunsten

you can buy Tungsten putty for fishing weights,  and I think some other forms,  if you google Tungsten putty you will get some information, 

Tungsten Putty is a non-hardening, moldable material made from tungsten powder and a polymer binder

I looked this up for this reason,  Tunsten is fairly expensive was the main drawback.

Perhaps @SaminCam  could obtain some shotgun pellets for you ;) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Mark, thanks for looking in and I hope I do the set justice. I kinda know what you mean. Much of what we sell just vanishes into the ether. If anything it really shows what a small percentage of the modelling community is active on internet forums etc. I hope that if you decide to make another set of moulds then some of the interest expressed on this thread converts to actual sales for you.

Best regards,

Jamie :)

No worries, from the progress you've already made I can see this is going to be a VERY good build. And I do appreciate the "promo"! If it weren't for my recently-acquired herniated disc, I would already have the replacement molds ready to go. I'm glad to see people still want this set, and I hope to be able to re-stock before the next ice age.

• Like 2

Hi folks.

I have surprised myself and stretched the Eduard cockpit insulation bits into a double curvature using some rolling action and fairly high forces applied using the wooden handle of my MDC rivet tool against some folded up kitchen towel acting as a cushion for it to squish in to.

I might try to use these... ?

10929ecb-e2f8-454c-89cf-0d86dc74990d.jpg

• Like 11

I didn't really expect this to work. There are a few kinks along the edges top and bottom which will be quite apparent in this photograph as is is in real life, but they don't actually project all that much. I think once coated in a dead-flat dark green lick of paint it should not be obvious to anyone unless they're searching for flaws (of which they'll always find plenty on my models!).

c303beb9-c724-44bd-81a8-f25e79d5fa36.jpg

• Like 12

Can I ask what glue you used to stick the lead pellets into the wheel bay?

If you used PVA, I strongly recommend you clean it out as soon as you can and swap for epoxy or similar. There have been several instances in the model railway world of the lead reacting with the PVA over time, and literally bursting open the place where it was installed. Inside a brass boiler barrel, and the results can be very messy. 

• Like 1