Roden PS-84/Li-2 Aeorflot 1:144

It's been quite some time since I last posted something, or finished a kit in general (family and business obligations got in the way). At any rate, my latest build is a PS-84/Li-2 in Aeroflot colours. 

At first I wanted to build the Eastern Express offering, but that kit is plain horrible. I decided to throw that one in the trash bin and build the excellent Roden kit instead (after all, the only major difference between the DC-3 and the under license build PS-84 are the different engine intakes and the fact that the passenger door is on the other side).

I used the photo-etch detail by Bregun for the intakes and some of the antennae. The decals are from the Eastern Express kit and the cockpit and window decals are once again made by me. 

I wanted to use more metal colour variaton (as I did with my Authentic Airliners KLM DC-10), but it didn't work out quite as I wanted. Next time I'm going to experiment more with different backgroud layers (so not only High Shine black, but also some matt, gray, white, etc.). In the end I simply decided to make the aircraft more dirty and worn. As these were workhorses in Soviet times, I guess that is only fitting.

Anyway, the pictures:

00a92657b47d45e9e4c92a4f15fed7ab.jpg

f4bbfcd7d639a45d47bd520cab2c25de.jpg

0fd4a9c59ca74f4a88726d8d370284aa.jpg

e8681e5eaaddaf473b02a0726f7fd3dd.jpg

c999685b722f9358cadea25ceb1a9968.jpg

d0b30f9adf23a0f5e88c21c8102dad0d.jpg

4efdedbb80a5de118de2176a09ea740a.jpg

3444f7a27e67efa24b68c0de74f4ee40.jpg

I will stay in Russia, as my next project will be the Zvezda TU-204 kit in Cubana livery

Thanks for looking and see you next time!

• Like 15

Hi Martijn,

Good to have you back with another lovely build from your hangar! That's a beautiful NMF but nice and grimy too. An unusual Aeroflot livery aswell enhanced by your trademark windows! I've never noticed how different the intakes were on the Li2, very unusual.

That Roden DC3/C47 is a super little kit, I have a couple part built somewhere I really must get finished.

Looking forward to the Cubana TU-204!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks guys!

On 15/02/2019 at 18:18, Turbofan said:

That Roden DC3/C47 is a super little kit, I have a couple part built somewhere I really must get finished.

Yeah, I have one more too. I will make that one in a KLM livery, but I'm still debating which version of the livery. That project will only start by the end of the year though.

Nice to see you back Martijn especially with such an excellent and unusual model.

If I remember correctly Eastern Express’s so-called “Li-2” is just a reboxed Minicraft DC-3 with no attempt to correct its many inaccuracies. Your Roden/Brengun combination is clearly the way to go for an accurate model.

Thanks for sharing

Dave G

Thanks Dave!

Yes, you are right. Their Li-2 was simply a rebox (the different engine intakes of the Li-2 weren't even included). I would say that it's even worse than the Minicraft offering (the engines were just terrible).

Simply always go for the Roden kit IMHO.