This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DMC

Revell 747/Enterprise Shuttle: took a punt

2 hours ago, Hasegawa Geek said:

I think you should do a -236B with early RB211 engines.

Hmmm, RB211s? Well, now you’ve set the cat amongst the pigeons.  I was quite pleased to get a kit with the P&Ws.  First trip over was in summer of ‘83, from Nassau, Bahamas.  Might have the exact date in an old passport.  Would there be any way of finding out which 747 it could have been?   I expect it might have been a -236b.  

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Hmmm, RB211s? Well, now you’ve set the cat amongst the pigeons.  I was quite pleased to get a kit with the P&Ws.  First trip over was in summer of ‘83, from Nassau, Bahamas.  Might have the exact date in an old passport.  Would there be any way of finding out which 747 it could have been?   I expect it might have been a -236b.  

Cheers

Dennis

Try Civil-Aviation-Enthusiasts@google.com, I've got several historic flight regs from that group  -  especially ones from Gatwick

Dennis,

I would presume it would be very difficult to find out the exact aircraft from back then. I tried searching for photos from Nassau airport in the early 80's and could not come up with much. Did you fly from LHR or Gatwick? I think it would have been a 50/50 chance of getting either a 100 or a 200 honestly. 

Here are the BraZ RB211-524D engines for your project: http://www.brazmodels.com/boeing01.html

14 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Try Civil-Aviation-Enthusiasts@google.com

Thanks, I will do just that.  Don’t really want to get too anal about finding the exact plane.  Just seemed like a good idea for a project at the time.   A 747 -100/-200 with the correct livery—Negus—will do. 

14 hours ago, Hasegawa Geek said:

Did you fly from LHR or Gatwick

Actually, HG, we flew ‘to’ LHR, or Gatwick, as we were living in the Bahamas at the time.  Madam C says we flew on a couple of carriers with ‘narrower’ planes but I can’t remember.   That first flight over was over 35 years ago and I was old then.  Pretty sure it was BA, however, and a 747.  It was huge!

Thanks for the link, I’ve bookmarked it.  Bra.Z do some nice stuff.   I’ll give it some thought while I’m working on the 727.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Cheers

Dennis

a very interesting build, will be looking forward to seeing how this develops

phil

1 hour ago, phil1 said:

a very interesting build, will be looking forward to seeing how this develops

phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, could be, and I have the 26 Negus decal set now—nice!—so am itching to get on with it.  However, I would really like to finish my 727 build before I start yet another kit.   And, as the kit included a Shuttle model, I have been just slightly sidetracked looking up  things of interest on BM Real Space and the ARC Real Space pages—I am easily distracted I’m afraid.  

Hang there, Phil, and I’ll crack on a bit.

Cheers,

Dennis

Just an ignorant question from someone rarely venturing into the Civil section - IIRC Revell's 400 was a new tool up to late 80s/early 90s state of the art. I know the bigger hump and winglets, and possibly unsuitable engines, but would the Basic airframe be suitable ? I'm fairly certain the first boxing was for a BA bird.

25 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Just an ignorant question

No questions are ignorant on BM.  However, I am relatively new to civil aviation also and therefore I am unable to give you an informed answer.  I am certain, though, that one of the CA cognoscenti will be able to help you before the day is out.   I seem to remember that the -400 kit had mixed reviews, but then it’s, what, 20 plus years old.  Follow the thread and you should get answers soon. 

Cheers,

Dennis

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Just an ignorant question from someone rarely venturing into the Civil section - IIRC Revell's 400 was a new tool up to late 80s/early 90s state of the art. I know the bigger hump and winglets, and possibly unsuitable engines, but would the Basic airframe be suitable ? I'm fairly certain the first boxing was for a BA bird.

This is a previous discussion on Revell's 747-400 kit, tells you most you will need to know about it.

Hope this helps

Tim

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

As DMC says there's no such thing as an ignorant question on Britmodeller, certainly not in the civil aviation section!

Timo is right about the earlier discussion, click here for a direct link.

Although the Revell 747-400 was a new tool, the older 747-200/E-4B/Space Shuttle mule is actually a lot more accurate. In a nutshell the 747-400 suffers from shape issues around the cockpit but more seriously the angle of incidence of the wings is wrong. As shown in the earlier thread this requires significant surgery to fix but if left uncorrected it means the engines hang far too low and the model just looks wrong.  

Healthwise, I have not had such a great month.  Caught some coughing thing—bug— a few weeks ago that kept me awake half the night and played havoc with my modelling mojo.  Better now and I have managed to get a little time in on the 747, which I am liking very much.  

After i I leave here I’ll segue over to WIP and post a couple of photos under the blanket title “On the Apron” which will include any recent work I’ve done on the 727, VC-10 or the 747.  Since I’ve transitioned from war machines to airliners it seemed an appropriate thread title and will save me the bother of starting a separate thread for each build. 

First up will be the 747 P&Ws, which I have tweaked a little.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis