Revell 747/Enterprise Shuttle: took a punt

DMC

2 hours ago, Hasegawa Geek said:

I think you should do a -236B with early RB211 engines.

Hmmm, RB211s? Well, now you’ve set the cat amongst the pigeons.  I was quite pleased to get a kit with the P&Ws.  First trip over was in summer of ‘83, from Nassau, Bahamas.  Might have the exact date in an old passport.  Would there be any way of finding out which 747 it could have been?   I expect it might have been a -236b.  

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Hmmm, RB211s? Well, now you’ve set the cat amongst the pigeons.  I was quite pleased to get a kit with the P&Ws.  First trip over was in summer of ‘83, from Nassau, Bahamas.  Might have the exact date in an old passport.  Would there be any way of finding out which 747 it could have been?   I expect it might have been a -236b.  

Cheers

Dennis

Try [email protected], I've got several historic flight regs from that group  -  especially ones from Gatwick

Dennis,

I would presume it would be very difficult to find out the exact aircraft from back then. I tried searching for photos from Nassau airport in the early 80's and could not come up with much. Did you fly from LHR or Gatwick? I think it would have been a 50/50 chance of getting either a 100 or a 200 honestly. 

Here are the BraZ RB211-524D engines for your project: http://www.brazmodels.com/boeing01.html

14 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Try Civil-Aviation-Enthusiasts@google.com

Thanks, I will do just that.  Don’t really want to get too anal about finding the exact plane.  Just seemed like a good idea for a project at the time.   A 747 -100/-200 with the correct livery—Negus—will do. 

14 hours ago, Hasegawa Geek said:

Did you fly from LHR or Gatwick

Actually, HG, we flew ‘to’ LHR, or Gatwick, as we were living in the Bahamas at the time.  Madam C says we flew on a couple of carriers with ‘narrower’ planes but I can’t remember.   That first flight over was over 35 years ago and I was old then.  Pretty sure it was BA, however, and a 747.  It was huge!

Thanks for the link, I’ve bookmarked it.  Bra.Z do some nice stuff.   I’ll give it some thought while I’m working on the 727.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phil1 said:

a very interesting build, will be looking forward to seeing how this develops

phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, could be, and I have the 26 Negus decal set now—nice!—so am itching to get on with it.  However, I would really like to finish my 727 build before I start yet another kit.   And, as the kit included a Shuttle model, I have been just slightly sidetracked looking up  things of interest on BM Real Space and the ARC Real Space pages—I am easily distracted I’m afraid.  

Hang there, Phil, and I’ll crack on a bit.

Cheers,

Dennis

Just an ignorant question from someone rarely venturing into the Civil section - IIRC Revell's 400 was a new tool up to late 80s/early 90s state of the art. I know the bigger hump and winglets, and possibly unsuitable engines, but would the Basic airframe be suitable ? I'm fairly certain the first boxing was for a BA bird.

25 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Just an ignorant question

No questions are ignorant on BM.  However, I am relatively new to civil aviation also and therefore I am unable to give you an informed answer.  I am certain, though, that one of the CA cognoscenti will be able to help you before the day is out.   I seem to remember that the -400 kit had mixed reviews, but then it’s, what, 20 plus years old.  Follow the thread and you should get answers soon. 

Cheers,

Dennis

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Just an ignorant question from someone rarely venturing into the Civil section - IIRC Revell's 400 was a new tool up to late 80s/early 90s state of the art. I know the bigger hump and winglets, and possibly unsuitable engines, but would the Basic airframe be suitable ? I'm fairly certain the first boxing was for a BA bird.

This is a previous discussion on Revell's 747-400 kit, tells you most you will need to know about it.

Hope this helps

Tim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

As DMC says there's no such thing as an ignorant question on Britmodeller, certainly not in the civil aviation section!

Timo is right about the earlier discussion, click here for a direct link.

Although the Revell 747-400 was a new tool, the older 747-200/E-4B/Space Shuttle mule is actually a lot more accurate. In a nutshell the 747-400 suffers from shape issues around the cockpit but more seriously the angle of incidence of the wings is wrong. As shown in the earlier thread this requires significant surgery to fix but if left uncorrected it means the engines hang far too low and the model just looks wrong.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Healthwise, I have not had such a great month.  Caught some coughing thing—bug— a few weeks ago that kept me awake half the night and played havoc with my modelling mojo.  Better now and I have managed to get a little time in on the 747, which I am liking very much.  

After i I leave here I’ll segue over to WIP and post a couple of photos under the blanket title “On the Apron” which will include any recent work I’ve done on the 727, VC-10 or the 747.  Since I’ve transitioned from war machines to airliners it seemed an appropriate thread title and will save me the bother of starting a separate thread for each build. 

First up will be the 747 P&Ws, which I have tweaked a little.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old thread but is the 747 in the E-4B the same kit as that which was reissued as 747-100 50th Anniversary gift set, and if it is, is it suitable for -200 series build? Aware of the engine issues but not a problem as Ill be getting some BraZ. RB211's if it does become the one of several projects I'm considering

Edited by PhantomBigStu

54 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Digging up an old thread but is the 747 in the E-4B the same kit as that which was reissued as 747-100 50th Anniversary gift set, and if it is, is it suitable for -200 series build? Aware of the engine issues but not a problem as Ill be getting some BraZ. RB211's if it does become the one of several projects I'm considering

Yes,its the same kit,just with different engines.

The P&W engines in the Revell 50th anniversary edition as well as all P&W releases are the early -100 engines.

The E4B and the 1990 Thai Airways/British Airways issue and the later KLM releases feature the GE engines,although pretty much wrong shaped.

The base kit is always the same,only the upperdeck window number is sometimes different (3 or 10 window option)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

From what I can remember of building both of these, the E-4B and 50th anniversary kits are the same (fuselage and spindly landing gear).  The 50th anniversary kit is also the same as the SCA.

It's just the E-4B engines that are different, if you know already the E-4B kit has really poor engines.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, neilg said:

From what I can remember of building both of these, the E-4B and 50th anniversary kits are the same (fuselage and spindly landing gear).  The 50th anniversary kit is also the same as the SCA.

It's just the E-4B engines that are different, if you know already the E-4B kit has really poor engines.

Thanks, so the 100kit it’s good for a -200? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks. Assume it’s good for a -200? 

You can see here that the -100 kit has six windows in the upper deck:

If you're using decals for windows, it should be good for a -200 too I would imagine.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, neilg said:

You can see here that the -100 kit has six windows in the upper deck:

If you're using decals for windows, it should be good for a -200 too I would imagine.

Thanks again indeed windows will be decals if I do go for a 747, lovely build btw

• Like 1

Basically, the 100 and 200 are dimensionally  and shape wise pretty much the same aeroplane. They also shared the same wing plan.

The 100 was powered solely by the Pratt and Whitney JT9D although there were early and late versions of the JT9D.

The early 100s had three windows in the "hump". Later 100s sometimes had more.

The 200 could be powered by the P&W JT9D but also the General Electric CF6 or the Rolls Royce RB211. The 200 also featured up to ten windows in the hump.

The 300 was a 200 with a "Stretched Upper Decks" (SUD) - in other words, a lengthened hump.

The 400 was a major rework of the original design. The fuselage was the same length as the 100 and 200 but it featured a longer hump - which was more refined than the long hump on the 300. The most significant change was in the wing profile which was changed to improve the economics of the aeroplane. The 400 also came with later generation high bypass engines from Pratt and Whitney, Rolls Royce and General Electric.

The final version is the 747-8 which has a longer fuselage, another new wing and much bigger engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really good summary Eric. My initial thought was to try and backdate the 8i to a 400 having seen it done by one of our regular civy builders not to long ago but figured probably beyond my skills to do so. But anyone one of the barriers against proceeding with the 200 has been eliminated (was a high bidder on a 1/200 ready made model) so will be going ahead with it, got the -100 kit in my amazon basket to use a Xmas voucher on. :)