1/48 RF-4E Phantom Experts?

Muzz

Looking for some advice of any Hasegawa/Phantom experts, I have the 1/48 Hasegawa RF-4E Hellenic Air Force Special kit and a great reference book on the aircrafts service. The book explains the difference between the ‘American’ and ‘German’ supplied RF-4E aircraft in the Greek AF fleet. Hard and soft wings, different nose camera fairing etc.

I’d like to build a Greek ‘American’ airframe in the SEA scheme (to go along with my ‘German’ special scheme) but from checking the pinned reference on in’s & outs of Hasegawa kits it doesn’t look like you could build one straight out a box(ie, no RF-4E kits come with the slatted wing etc), can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any help.

Muzz

Hello Muzz, 

to my knowledge, I can confirm all Hasegawa RF-4 kits have "hard wings".

Considering Hasegawa used the same wing parts as the other F-4 kits, you might swap the slatted wings of a "late" E kit with the one you have.

At the end you can have a slatted RF-4E and an unslatted early F-4E.

Hope this helps.

Marco 

• Like 2

Yes, you're right. If he wants a Greek jet in SEA camo he'll need a slatted wing and rounded camera hatch nose arrangement. 

Sorry for misunderstanding. Will delete my earlier post

Tony

Edited by tony.t
correction

Yes, it’s a Hellenic Air Force RF-4E I’m looking to build in a worn SEA scheme as the US delivered airframes were finished. My reference book shows that some the airframes purchased from Germany were later re sprayed in the SEA scheme but I like the look of the more rounded streamlined camera nose. Thanks for  suggestions so far.

Muzz

You can do what I am going to do, Get an F-4F kit which has the slatted wings, use them on your RF-4E and use the standard wings on the F-4F, to make a normal F-4E.

I am also going to do the same thing in 1/32 scale.

Larry

• Like 1