2x 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a

GrimReaper09

So, having recently re-discovered a passion for model aircraft, I decided to start again with the first model I ever bought myself when I was about 8, the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1a. I fully intend to build 1/72 kits to every (or as many as possible) aircraft that has served on 39 Sqn but to start I needed to break myself in slowly! It's taken me a full 3 weeks of trawling this forum for ideas as there is such a wealth of information (and it's so easy to get side-tracked by some amazing unrelated builds like the scratch built HMS Eagle in 1/144 which blew my mind!) As it's been about 20 years since I last built a model, so I've been scouring Hannants for extra decals, etched cockpits and new canopies which I certainly never had previously. I came across 2 of the new Airfix Mk.1a sets for stupid cheap and have bought Hataka Acrylics to brush paint them (I've never airbrushed but that's next on my list). 

I'm still researching which aircraft I will model them on but I'm drawn to doing a couple of 54 Sqn aircraft from summer 1940 ish.  

Any advice for a complete beginner (it's been that long and looking at the builds on here, I feel every inch of one) and any pitfalls I should avoid? 

• Like 3

Hi @GrimReaper09, and welcome back to the hobby!

The only peice of advice I can think of is run, run far away!:dalek1:

Seriously though there is only one thing I can think of in regard to the new tool Airfix kits (it is early in the morning where I am) is don't paint the mating surfaces as the tolerances are very tight.

I'm sure others will be along soon with much better and more detailed advice than me.

DennisTheBear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @DennisTheBear. Sadly, I'm already deep into the purchasing of extra bits so I'm now fully committed!! It's still cheaper than my other hobby of medal collecting/research!

good advice, thanks. I'm hoping then that there will be less need for vast amounts of filler! I remember my old Spitfire Vb having gaps on the wing roots and the join between the lower fuselage and the belly. 

So, how do you put on your pants?

Easy, one foot at a time.

Same with models, take it easy and do things in a way that's pre-thought and practised.

And a warm welcome back. Things have changed slightly, you'll find out, but for the better.

And do use the forums, they will save you a lot of time and learn you more than you could ever teach yourself. 

/Finn

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, GrimReaper09 said:

I'm hoping then that there will be less need for vast amounts of filler!

you shouldn't need any, maybe some Mr Surfacer.

IIRC @Graham Boak mentions that if you don't take care with internal bulkheads these can affect the wing dihedral,  and the canopy is a very tight fit. 

Also look up @Beard as he is continually building Spitfires.

Careful test fitting, and scraping here and there will give a very tidy build.   Adding new parts, like etch cockpit is not that need in 72 unless building with canopy open, and in that case the kits fuselage walls are pretty thick.

I'd suggest just building one pretty much OOB to get a feel for it,  some seat belts are worth adding, even if from tape/paper/foil.

This is well worth a careful read

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

lots of useful information and detail on markings, plus camo diagrams etc.  It's old but I still don't know of a better one stop primer.

One interesting thing about 54 Sq was they had some very early Rotol propellers fitted, 

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/89374-spitfire-mk-i-ii-and-iia-s-prop-fittings

klo.jpg

3D kits did decals for these.  

Airfix did a Mk.II boxing so all you would need are the decals @3DStewart  may even still have some

HTH

• Thanks 1

The Airfix Spitfire I is a great little kit (I've made twenty-odd) but has some pitfalls, in addition to those which Troy has mentioned.

Firstly, Airfix left off the rudder actuator. This bit:

FSC06679a-640x480.jpg&key=8efbc8bbcd0f9a

It's easily corrected with a piece of stretched sprue.

Secondly, I'd recommend joining the fuselage halves then inserting the cockpit bits from underneath. They should click into place but you'll need to sand the edges to ensure they don't pop the seams.

Thirdly, I suggest drilling out the location peg holes on the fuselage as they're a tight fit. There's one on the wings that I always remove but can't remember which one as it's been a while since I made an Airfix I - something I must correct.

Lastly, enjoy yourself. This is a hobby and a hobby should be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for all that advice @Troy Smith. I was planning on both Spits to have an open cockpit. I've bought some Pavla models canopies for this and the Airwaves etched detail kit to add seat belts and cockpit details. 

The KL-O aircraft looks to be the early 1940 Mk.1 with the black/white underside which I was trying to avoid initially. I am looking to do a summer 1940 with the Green/Dark Earth and sky underside. to keep the painting as simple as possible. I've also ordered a set of Xtradecal Mk.1 Spit decals with KL-B P/O Deere's machine included from 9 July 1940 which has the colour scheme I'd like to emulate. 

Thanks @FinnAndersen. These forums have been a godsend and made the start so much easier to navigate! 

So after some further research and plenty of ogling models on here, I've decided to do 2 spitfires from 65 Sqn from 5th August 1940. I'll start a build thread over the weekend with all the research I've done so far.

The aircraft in question will be Mk.Ia K9911 'YT-E' flown by Sgt Harry Orchard and R6766 'YT-D' flown by P/O Lawrence Pyman. 

I've got quite a bit of detail on these aircraft and pilots which was exciting researching. I've also found quite a bit of reference material for 65 Sqn aircraft from this period too. 

• Like 2

maybe of some use

32170310047_6fdcacf846_o.jpg65 Squadron 68 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

YT-N
R6712 Ia 766EA MIII 
FF 10-6-40 9MU 11-6-40 65S 10-7-40 FAC2 18-10-40 AST 53OTU 6-5-41 DBR in ground collision Heston FACE 11-5-41 SOC 24-5-41

YT-M
R6714 Ia 768EA MIII 
FF 11-6-40 9MU 11-6-40 65S 10-7-40 Dived into ground nr Gateside Sgt Pearson killed 16-10-40

<a href="http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p009.html" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p009.html</a>

The black (Night) port gear leg on R6714 is of note, as most likely built with the Night/White/Aluminium underside, and repainted in Sky at the M.U.  
same asplane behind R6714
R6712 has a White or Sky wheel hub, but still a Night UC leg, and possibly an unpainted cockpit frame.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

maybe of some use

32170310047_6fdcacf846_o.jpg65 Squadron 68 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

YT-N
R6712 Ia 766EA MIII 
FF 10-6-40 9MU 11-6-40 65S 10-7-40 FAC2 18-10-40 AST 53OTU 6-5-41 DBR in ground collision Heston FACE 11-5-41 SOC 24-5-41

YT-M
R6714 Ia 768EA MIII 
FF 11-6-40 9MU 11-6-40 65S 10-7-40 Dived into ground nr Gateside Sgt Pearson killed 16-10-40

<a href="http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p009.html" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p009.html</a>

The black (Night) port gear leg on R6714 is of note, as most likely built with the Night/White/Aluminium underside, and repainted in Sky at the M.U.  
same asplane behind R6714
R6712 has a White or Sky wheel hub, but still a Night UC leg, and possibly an unpainted cockpit frame.

Thanks @Troy Smith I saw Sergei's excellent Flickr album on BoB Sqns and that picture was one of the first I found whilst researching. 

I only hope my painting skills are up to the level of my research skills! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So it's been a while since I updated. 

I have completed the build and basic painting and most of the decals on one of the spits, YT-E. Sadly, the starboard 'E' split completely so I need to purchase another decal sheet! pain in the proverbials. I've assembled and base coated YT-D and am at work in the process of preshading before the base colour goes on. 

I ran in to some difficulty using the Pavla canopies as this is my first time using aftermarket items. I have some questions to wider expert audience out there;

a) is there a tutorial anyone is aware of in using the vacuum canopies? 

b) is there a tutorial for painting and using the Airwaves etched seat belts?

they may seem easy but I think it's my lack of knowledge and therefore, lack of confidence that means I'm struggling with these parts! i'm a sucker for perfection so I want to get these right!

Pics to follow this week once I've sorted a photo hosting site 

2 hours ago, GrimReaper09 said:

I’ve not used either of the above yet but for:

a) Id say trim away the excess then sand away until you get a nice fit to the kit

b) use superglue to attach them to the kit and gently bend them into the shape you require. I presume a coat of primer and then your paint would do the job there on.

Happy to be corrected or advised on anything as I’ll soon be at this same stage and this is just what I’ve picked up looking at other builds.

12 minutes ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

I’ve not used either of the above yet but for:

a) Id say trim away the excess then sand away until you get a nice fit to the kit

b) use superglue to attach them to the kit and gently bend them into the shape you require. I presume a coat of primer and then your paint would do the job there on.

Happy to be corrected or advised on anything as I’ll soon be at this same stage and this is just what I’ve picked up looking at other builds.

Thanks. I think I just need to get it done and not worry about messing them up tbh! whats the worst that can happen?!?!?! 😕

10 hours ago, GrimReaper09 said:

A) I'm not aware of a tutorials, but always use a brand new knife blade and score around the canopy until it comes loose. Then you can sand away the excess plastic until it fits. Take care and do it gently, obviously if you remove too much it won't fit.

b) again the same, but some people says that annealing the brass by warming it in a candle flame will soften it, making it easier to bend and attach. I use superglue to attach, but do it sparingly, so it won't show.

HTH Finn  

thank you both. The warming of the etched parts will help, can't believe I didn't think of that!

So, does anyone have an Xtradecal X72145 Sea Grey 24", 30" and 36" letter sheet that I can grab the Ds and Es in 24" please?? will pay in beer tokens 

Thank you. Still slaving away! Just the smaller detail decals and a bit of weathering to go. My level of perfection required greatly exceeds my abilities!! But I’ve really enjoyed these two Spits and they don’t look too bad. 

Last pic before I put them in a completed showcase. 

spacer.png