56ft twin funnel steam pinnace

Mu17

As most will know, the larger cruisers and battleships carried a variety of ships rowing boats and often on two or three steam pinnaces. I think they came in 40ft, 45ft, 50 ft and 56ft lengths.

The 50 ft one is well known - a restored one still sails and over the years a number of model kits and hulls have been made.  

The late Norman Ough made a great scale drawing of the 50ft single funnel version but can anyone help with drawings or photos) of the 56 twin funnel one please ?

Any info most appreciated.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

I have a book that I found a few years ago on Amazon, used, that will be of help to you.  "The life and ship models of Norman Ough"  written by Alistair Roach and published by Seaforth.  It's chock full of photos and drawings and has an entire chapter devoted to RN service boats. I strongly suggest finding a copy as it's a great resource and an interesting read. Hope this of help to you!

Best wishes

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for directing me to Norman Ough's book, which I wasn't aware of, although I do have his drawing of the 50ft pinnace from an ancient copy of Model Boats magazine !  I have been pointed to the Boats of Men of War which does in fact have a drawing of the 56 ft pinnace.

Thanks also for your input

Paul