Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - Irritablerabbit's speedy (ish) build

Hello again. :D

So.. This Hunter thing. It's Revell. It's a nice kit and looks quite good, but maybe we shouldn't look at the shape too closely just in case. I'm glad it's better than the Matchbox and Frog Hunters I did when 'I was a wee lad' which was the last time I built one of these. :shocked:

I expect I didn't get some of the lumps and bumps quite right for this mostly OOB representation of a No.8 sqn RAF Hunter based in Khormaksar, Aden 1963. The instructions show optional parts so it's up to us to do the extra research to see which fits what. I didn't go the extra mile because I wanted to crack on and get it done as fast as possible (within reason), and while I had the time. 😎

I threw a resin seat and wheels on there for a bit of extra interest, replaced the plastic blob of a fuel vent on the rear of the fuselage with a short piece of aluminium tubing (diameter of which I have forgotten), and drilled out the pipes for the spent cases. There's also a couple of strips of stretched sprue for the antennae under the fuselage.

Finished with some panel line wash, post shaded and weathered with filters and some oils.

This is likely to be my last finished build for a little while as I'm actually having to get on with RealLifeTM and go do some paid work after an enforced break.

I hope you find this one pleasing and thank you for looking. :cheers:

40119166083_950e3346ec_b.jpgHunter_01 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

47083920511_fa117139da_b.jpgHunter_02 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

46170521375_a0ea177a9f_b.jpgHunter_03 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

40119168013_9bd2926900_b.jpgHunter_04 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

33209031678_9fbb5fe3c5_b.jpgHunter_05 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

47083923331_2116945095_b.jpgHunter_06 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

33209034858_7c75b38d07_b.jpgHunter_07 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

40119175953_65c4170367_b.jpgHunter_08 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

40119174213_23236f1568_b.jpgHunter_09 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

Edited by IrritableRabbit
Grammer and data correction
  • Like 49

Good day all. And thank you everyone for the positive response to my latest build. :cheers:

On 2/14/2019 at 8:25 PM, Vultures1 said:

That's a lovely looking Hunter!  Just for interest, which aftermarket seat and wheels did you use?

Cheers. 😎

The seat is Quickboost (by Aires) Hawker Hunter ejection seat. Drops straight in with no adjustments to the cockpit bath.

The wheels are the Hawker Hunter weighted wheels by Armory. These aren't quite the same size as the supplied wheels and a little bit of surgery is needed to fit. Thinning out the front undercarriage leg was necessary when sandwiching the wheel between the two halves, and a slight adjustment on the main legs so the wheels didn't foul anything. Nothing too serious. :D

On 2/15/2019 at 6:10 AM, 72modeler said:

Beautiful model of a beautiful jet- you have done the Hunter justice. I sure hope when I get around to mine I can do half as good a job! She's luvverly!

Mike

Hey Mike. I'm sure you will, and after all, like me, you're starting with a massive advantage........ It's a Hawker Hunter. :yahoo:

On 2/15/2019 at 6:47 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent Hunter sir:yahoo: ... May i ask the Squadron ?  

According to the box, that there be a No. 9 *edit.. no I mean no.8 sqn coz I have a brain of cheese sqn. :smartass:

Edited by IrritableRabbit
Data corrected
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Actually it's No.8 Squadron.  9 Squadron never flew the Hunter.  A beautiful build with a superb paint finish.  It actually looks 1/48th. 

Yes indeed. A quick check of the box shows that Revell have it right and I can't even remember what I was doing a few days ago 😵 and shall correct accordingly. 🤣

And thank you. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Sorry Jonathan, Revell have mis-informed you: 9 Squadron are a bomber squadron and never flew Hunters.  Those markings are the blood, sand and sky of 8 Squadron, currently operating E-3 Sentries at Waddington.  IX (B) Squadron are about to retire their last Tornados at Mariam next month.  Do like your Hunter though, very smart.

More apologies; by the time I’d finished taking pictures of the cat you and Meatbox had got this sussed.

Edited by stever219
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stever219 said:

Sorry Jonathan, Revell have mis-informed you: 9 Squadron are a bomber squadron and never flew Hunters.  Those markings are the blood, sand and sky of 8 Squadron, currently operating E-3 Sentries at Waddington.  IX (B) Squadron are about to retire their last Tornados at Mariam next month.  Do like your Hunter though, very smart.

Hello. please see my reply to Meatbox just above you. 🤣

And thank you. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Timing is everything: please refer to my edit🙄

Yes.. I spotted your edit.. Laughed when you said you were taking pics of your cats... Then got distracted myself by sorting pension paperwork out. Exciting eh? 😑

No sweat. No need to apologise. Everything is good. 😎