is a 1:48 beaufort coming out ?

brewerjerry

Hi

just noticed printscale have produced ' 1:48 beaufort part 1 ' decals

Have i missed an announcement of a 1:48 beaufort or do they know something ?

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Print scale sheet 48-140. Bristol Beaufort. It's not a misprint. There is no indication on the web site or, instruction sheet as to which kit this is intended for. At least none that I can see. I seem to recall a 1/48 Halifax decal sheet being announced a few years back which led to a lot of wild speculation ( which came to nothing)

Allan

On 2/14/2019 at 5:49 AM, Harold55 said:

I could be way off base here but wouldn't rhat be a very small market to go after?

I wouldn’t think so.  There were over 1800 built originally and they served with 6 nations (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Turkey and the UK).  When you consider that we can get upteen thousand kits of the Bf-109, Spitfire, F-16 and also kits of the one-offs, drawing board creations etc, is it too much to expect of a platform such as the Beaufort?  I would love for someone such as Airfix to release a good,highly detailed injection moulding one in 1/48.

2 hours ago, GTX said:

I wouldn’t think so.  There were over 1800 built originally and they served with 6 nations (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Turkey and the UK).  When you consider that we can get upteen thousand kits of the Bf-109, Spitfire, F-16 and also kits of the one-offs, drawing board creations etc, is it too much to expect of a platform such as the Beaufort?  I would love for someone such as Airfix to release a good,highly detailed injection moulding one in 1/48.

I think he ment the Sanger vacform..

cheers, Jan

7 hours ago, GTX said:

I agree with GTX this would be a nice one for Airfix to bring out in either 1/48 to go along with their Walri or in 1/72 with their Coastal Whitley and Wimpey. A bit of careful planning could do an ETO, MTO and PTO boxing- if they were really canny and did the R1830s on a separate sprue they'd have a kick start for a load of other types...

Always thought it a handsome aircraft and a crying shame the RAFM example is but a shell.

TT

17 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Reverse psychology, if they put out a lovely decal sheet - someone will feel obliged to produce a fitting kit to use them on..

Matt

If printscale made a nice decal sheet it would be a first, i have used 3 of their sheets none have worked, first one broke up on contact with water and the other two were so thick i cut them up and used the decal to represent armoured panels on a fw-190 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gavingav said:

If printscale made a nice decal sheet it would be a first, i have used 3 of their sheets none have worked, first one broke up on contact with water and the other two were so thick i cut them up and used the decal to represent armoured panels on a fw-190

Oh well, it was the thought that counted...

Matt

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GTX said:

There were over 1800 built originally and they served with 6 nations (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Turkey and the UK).

To be clear, the RNZAF itself never operated Beauforts but 489 (NZ) Sqn RAF did, and even then only five examples.

But I'd love to build a DAP Beaufort in 1/48. If they could include decals for A9-141 I'd be very grateful!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, GTX said:

You could say the same about the Lockheed Hudson. Almost 3000 built, served with over a dozen operators world wide and yet, how many decent Hudson kits do we have? Perhaps I am being rather cynical here but, I rather suspect that the reaction from a lot of people to news of a hypothetical Bristol Beaufort kit would be ; "Eh? The Bristol what? Never 'eard of it!" To you, me and all other enthusiasts it will be a known and sadly neglected subject. To the bean counters at the model companies it will probably nothing more than a relatively obscure type with none of the fame of the  Douglas Boston, B-26 Marauder or B-25 (to name but a few) behind it. Certainly not a subject (in their view) to generate mass sales. I'd like to see a decent kit of the Martin Maryland and, Martin Baltimore (as well as the Beaufort).!! Fat chance of that any time soon!

Allan

• Like 2

That is true Allan but isn't it strange that as mentioned earlier, the "führer heil hitler jagdbombergerswader wunderbar" fighter that existed only on the back of a fag packet found in Berlin can be made into an injection moulded kit (sometimes in various scales) - just how big is the luft-46 community?

It's definitely uncertain how well a Beaufort would sell, we can fill pages of a forum with wants and statements like "I'd buy a dozen" but talk is cheap and you can bet that when (if) it's produced, there will be howls of "why a Beaufort?" followed by an assassination of that kit...

Jeff

• Like 3

I'm sure they'd sell a few down here - the Beaufort did a lot of work for the RAAF during the Second Great Unpleasantness, and there's a great deal of interest in the restoration currently under way in Queensland.