Westland Wessex, Rugrats 1/72 resin

Fabulous details. Coming along really nicely. I find Tamiya transparent paints in red and green work great for nav lights. I have also used the orange on clear flashing LEDs for vehicle beacons.

• Thanks 1

The transparency was glued on. The next day I used quick-setting clear epoxy to glue the wings on.
At that moment I panicked, because the wings looked as if one was ahead of the other (the position of the wings is mandated by the manufacturer's casting of the tongues), but no, the mistake was...in the wing tanks!
The manufacturer has them unequally mastered, the one on the right wing being about 1,5mm ahead of the one on the other wing. The tank on the right wing is 0,5mm narrower and 0.5 mm shorter too. So misalignment by design!
What had prevented me for spotting this before applying the glue was:
1) Blind trust on the kit -a lesson I learned long ago and should have applied here.
2) The fact that those tongues prevent you for actually getting the wing roots joined and compared.
Such is the life of the modeler.
Solutions:
a) live with it
b) adding a thin strip of styrene to the back of the tank on the right and to the front on the tank of the left, and then mask and blend.
Sigh....

IMG_2754+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi Moa, what a great job you are doing, the small details such as the lights and generator are lovely. What a shame about the wings but a great rescue with the fuel tanks. It is still going to look stunning when finished, I am sure.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Courageous said:

With the weight of those wings and that flimsy canopy, I was dreading that something was going to 'give'. Looking great and what looks like a good recovery with the tanks.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

The model now feels very heavy indeed, compared to similarly-sized injection and vacuformed ones, and the white metal parts are not even on yet!

The assembly seems to be holding on, but I am handling it very carefully and try not to exert any stresses. Part of the loads are being held by the two bulkheads as the wing tongues are glued to them too.

CHeers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa, what a great job you are doing, the small details such as the lights and generator are lovely. What a shame about the wings but a great rescue with the fuel tanks. It is still going to look stunning when finished, I am sure.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the encouragement, this is one that needs a careful approach.

Cheers

I am almost certain that I will go for G-ACHI. If this is also your case, don't be mislead by the drawings in the instructions, G-ACHI had blue struts, not aluminium ones as depicted on the side views. Meanwhile, I made a photocopy of the decals to be able to produce masks for the transparency, using the window decals as patterns:

IMG_2769+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 2

The seam has to be dealt with with caution, given that the vac canopy will flex inwards in certain unsupported areas when the sanding stick passes on, whilst the rest remains of course firm:

IMG_2778+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2779+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2780+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A coat of gloss white follows and the model is placed inside a cabinet to dry:

IMG_2799+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Moa said:

The seam has to be dealt with with caution, given that the vac canopy will flex inwards in certain unsupported areas when the sanding stick passes on, whilst the rest remains of course firm:

If you use the Falcon canopy on your next Anson you will find a similar situation. I made ledges for 90% of the opening for the vacform to sit on and, of course, it has cracked a couple of times in that 10% length!

• Haha 1

I know that you preferr civvie livery but it can be mentioned here that Wessex was in use of Egipt I think still during the WWII...

westland.wessex.w202.egyptian.af.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, JWM said:

I know that you preferr civvie livery but it can be mentioned here that Wessex was in use of Egipt I think still during the WWII...

Cheers

J-W

It's not that just "I prefer" civil content, I do not have any interest in military subjects at all, whatsoever, and rather not have them posted in my threads, I believe it's enough of that, and plenty, all over the place, for those so inclined.

I appreciate that in this case you are trying to form a more complete perspective on the type, but I rather see it posted on a different thread, if you don't mind, as a favor to me.

There are stories and reasons behind these strong preferences, but here is not the place to explain or share them.

Cheers

Peace & Love 🕊️☮️😉

• Like 1

Given that the decal sheet provided in the kit yellowed and has an all-encompassing carrier, subjects have to be cut and trimmed individually. All the frames for the windows of course do have carrier inside them, contributing to detract from the transparencies. Not a very smart move. I scored all the carrier areas inside them, and will remove the bits once out of the water. I will cut the individual letters from the smaller regs right before application, in order not to lose the small bits:

IMG_2864+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I appreciate that in this case you are trying to form a more complete perspective on the type, but I rather see it posted on a different thread, if you don't mind, as a favor to me.

I am sorry if I hurt you.  I did not want to - just wanted to show wider contect of your subject.

Perhaps I understand what you mean - in fact in my modelling of military machines I prefere in some times second liners and unarmed ones....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

I am sorry if I hurt you.  I did not want to - just wanted to show wider contect of your subject.

Perhaps I understand what you mean - in fact in my modelling of military machines I prefere in some times second liners and unarmed ones....

Cheers

J-W 

No harm done whatsoever, J-W, I know you just wanted to add a bit of history.

Cheers

• Like 2