Roden 1/48 AIRCO (De Havilland) DH.4 with Puma Engine

Have not seen this kit completed here so I thought I would post this as it is my last bi-plane which I finished toward the end of 2018.  This is Roden’s kit #430 in 1/48 scale.  It represents a variation of the standard DH.4 in that the engine was replaced by a 230 hp Siddeley Puma. It was not particularly successful but ended up being used anyway because of the lack of other suitable engines.  This particular aircraft was built by Westlund and was known as “Sultan Selim II” N.6416 of F. Squadron 62 Wing RNAS, in the Aegean during the Dardanelles campaign during the Summer of 2018.  Clearly not too concerned about camouflage.

I have pretty much settled on using Uschi van der Rosten rigging thread as it is extraordinarily stretchy and very thin.  Up to now I have used the .02 thickness but have on order the larger thickness as I want to see how it works.  I also use 2lb test fishing line where I need to add strength.  I make my own rigging anchors using 32-gauge beading wire twisted around the point of a needle and then glued in with CA.  Have not made the leap to turnbuckles. 

I know people knock Roden but other than their decals (which I think is only a problem with their older kits) I like their kits and this was typical of their efforts in that the parts fit well with lots of detail.  The most time-consuming piece being the fun paint scheme and the rigging.  I also painted the tail as I figured the decals would not work anyway.  I also got myself a 300-Watt mini blow dryer/heater which helps the decals lay down (but be very careful as it will melt them quickly).  This is not a perfect model but I love how the paint scheme came out.   And yes, that is a lot of snow out my window.

resized_2b98651d-7980-4a4d-bb01-bb038a0a

resized_33ec796d-ebdf-4392-9ad7-b489e005

resized_64533de4-3280-4170-9b29-f3a362c1

6480fe32-58d3-4ad5-a81c-1f489d7b565e.JPG

resized_ff7922bf-23fd-40d9-9957-a23a9eb8

resized_fe67ec2c-c480-4086-b6c7-4f1e46ad

8cbb908c-e9fe-471a-ba68-1d93fef2172e.JPG

• Like 32

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work and very interestimg scheme ! :thumbsup: ... Scary thing is It reminds me of the Arizona state flag ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Arizona

You are right!  I had not even noticed that until you mentioned it but it is remarkably similar.  Arizona was admitted to the Union in 1912 so maybe this was a popular graphic around then.  

• Like 1