Balsa wood 1/12th BRM and Ferrari F1 cars

Nice job! You'll get the wheels sorted I'm sure! That balsa body would also make a really good base for a metal plated version. Might be worth trying your hand at something like that at some point? 

Those are very impressive, very hard to believe that they are hand crafter from balsa wood given the level of detail, and even more particularly given the quality of the finish.

I do think they justify a few more photos though... :)

• Like 1

These are fabulous pressman! Love the detail and finish. What do you use to finish the balsa? Dope and talc, sanding sealer or something entirely different?

Did you produce the patterns for those paper models? I note you mentioned them being scaled up.

So many question!

ATB
Rick

These beautiful models remind me that I made a series of 1:16th racing cars of mainly balsa in the early 60's, I remember some, an Alfa P3, Bresica Bugatti, and Jim Clarke's Lotus . The wire wheels were celluloid discs and button thread spokes. I too stopped following GP at the the end of the 60's.

John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wonderful models sir!   I too would like to know more about your finishing process if you wouldn't mind sharing.

• 2 weeks later...