Film of Royal Navy carrier in the Suez campaign - help!

John B (Sc)

Hi.

A couple of days ago I came across a short piece of film showing air activity on a Royal Navy carrier during the Suez campaign of 1956. It showed Seahawks & Wyverns being armed and launched, plus some shots of both types landing and a Venom all weather fighter landing wheels up.  The Seahawks in particular had obvious  gun blast staining .

I found it when opening up Facebook to check on comments from my kids - about all I use Facebook for apart from browsing occasional aviation magazine information. I don't know where it came from, nor how to get back to it - it seemed to have been loaded up by a Russian or Eastern European site, possibly a kit manufacturer.   Looked to be  an official record or Min istry of Information film.  Has anyone else seen it and does anyone know how I could find that film clip again.   I'm not all expert with Facebook!

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

John B

12 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

John, there is an Aircraft Carriers of the Royal Navy FB group, a closed group, of which I am a member. You might check there, as a bunch of videos have been posted in the last week or so (that I haven't kept up with...)

Thanks Paul. I shall check that one out - very useful to know about since naval aviation is  a strong interest, way back to the happy days of RN Fulmar & Navy Days.

Found it!  It appears to be an OWM film clip,though OI haven't yet found that on the IWM site.  I'd quite like to have a download of this, so if anyone knows where that can be found, super.

I shall try asking the Russian Model Shop which uploaded it, but I don't speak or write any Russian!

John B

• Like 2