Best World War II Aircraft Comparison Book

Oberleutnant

Hi gents,

Can anyone recommend a particularly good book comparing the aircraft of world war II please?

As a lad I had one which compared Spitfire, bf109S, FW190 and also had sections on Lancasters and the like too.

Wish I still had it but I cannot find it/remember it.

It didn't do hypothetical - instead how particular marks fared against each other.

The cover had a spitfire and 'Black 6' 109.

Anything would be nice please.

While not the book you had, Eric Brown's Wings of the Luftwaffe IIRC contrasts his experiences testing a wide variety of Luftwaffe aircraft with his experience on testing British types, IIRC, though I admit it's a Long time I read it (or parts of it).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

While not the book you had, Eric Brown's Wings of the Luftwaffe IIRC contrasts his experiences testing a wide variety of Luftwaffe aircraft with his experience on testing British types, IIRC, though I admit it's a Long time I read it (or parts of it).

Thanks very much!

Proper legend he was!

You know what the book I had is driving me mad. I have the image of the front cover which was a Spitfire and Black 6 109 flying next to each other.

Soft back book. Can't bloody see it!

How long ago were you a lad?  From the description of the cover, the book you are thinking of is Great Aircraft of WWII by Alfred Price and Mike Spick, published in softback by Abbeydale Press in 2003.  It covers only the Spitfire, Lancaster, Bf 109, B-17 and P-51 but it sounds as if an earlier (1997) hardback version covered more types.  Offered without warranty as to how well it will suit your type comparison purposes.