IDF M151A2 OREV

Silenoz

Also started construction of the M151A2 Orev. This is an Israeli version of the m151 a2 Mutt, with a TOW-launcher installed as a rapid, mobile antitank vehicle.

mapats-4.jpg

I've started with the Tamiya kit and the legend conversion kit. 

Where I'm at the moment:

Busy detailing the hull.. the pedals and such aren't included in the kit and still need to be made

575671-11032-37.jpg

575672-11032-19.jpg

575673-11032-92.jpg

Found a nice reference pic of the hood, the ropes should change a bit.

575674-11032-54.jpg

The fueltanks are missing in the kit, all that is left are some holes. Just want these to be filled a bit. The cut-out is for a reïnforcement beam that I still need to add.

575675-11032-57.jpg

The launcher chair and TOW controller support in construction, why it consisted of 5 separate parts is still a clue to me... certainly with all the flush fits...

575676-11032-89.jpg

Fixed TOW launcher mount:

575677-11032-50.jpg

575678-11032-43.jpg

Rear spare rounds rack:

575679-11032-73.jpg

To be continued soon.

• Like 5

The real one in the photo has a Negev 5.56 LMG on the front mount, unusually.  The Legend conversion has the more usual 7.62 MAG.  I don't believe anyone does a Negev in 1/35.  The Israelis certainly know how to turn every surface and space into stowage!  Nice work so far.

This vehicle is actually called the Orev, or Raven in English.

• Like 1

It's an unrelated weapon.  But it does share the same side-folding stock as the Galil, which was a copy of the folding stock from the FN FAL and Minimi.  The Galil was a derivative of the Finnish m/62 which was itself an AKM derivative.  So the Galil is essentially an Israeli-built AK.

While the rest of the world including the US was buying the FN Minimi, Israel and Germany decided to go their own way with developing the Negev and MG4 respectively.  Following FN's lead with the 7.62 Minimi/Mk48, IWI have developed a 7.62 Negev - recognisable by its M4-type stock.  In another similarity with the Minimi the Negev takes rifle magazines as a back-up to belts, both Galil and M16 types.

You could probably carry out some surgery on a 1/35 Minimi to make a Negev as they are sort of similar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

folding stock from the FN FAL and Minimi.

The Minimi’s skeleton stock doesn’t fold like the FAL. There is the telescoping ‘para’ version,  plus the Savit M4 style, but no side folding stock that resembles the FN FAL. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GMK said:

The Minimi’s skeleton stock doesn’t fold like the FAL. There is the telescoping ‘para’ version,  plus the Savit M4 style, but no side folding stock that resembles the FN FAL. 

The original version did have the FAL-derived skeletal stock.  But I was wrong about it folding: it doesn't fold on this weapon - only on the FAL and CAR.  The receiver is so compact that folding it either way would interfere with something: feeding, ejection, belt pouch.  There was and is also a solid fixed stock, although not widely bought now.  The 7.62s bought for UKSF in 2012 had the fixed stock but this was quickly changed for the Savit Corp model, which at the time FNH didn't offer as a factory option.

Wn9Xfev.jpg  lyLVPA3.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, my apologies.  I was convinced it folded.

Replacing GPMG as a section weapon with 7.62 Minimi was discussed as part of Reducing The Burden and the range and accuracy implications assessed.  Then someone added up the £££ and realised we'd already bought several thousand new GPMG by then and committed to buy several thousand more 5.56 Minimi to bring it into Core under Dismounted Close Combat Consolidation.  MG4 was actually originally preferred as the general service weapon, but was considered too new, insufficiently proven and with not enough configuration options: no short barrel then.

But we've hijacked the Orev thread, and as he's probably going to use the MAG in the set we'd better bug out before he gets annoyed!

• Like 1

didn't notice the other weapon, but it is an interesting discussion. Learned some new stuff, unfortunately obliged service was ended a year before I was 18... Think I'll stick with the FAL, but that one has it's problems on it's own... So no, I'm not annoyed 😉

With regards to the name, I've thought they used Djapa for all M151's and Orev for the TOW-mounted vehicles, because the Hummer with TOW mounted is also called Orev if I'm correct.

Edited by Silenoz

10 hours ago, Silenoz said:

With regards to the name, I've thought they used Djapa for all M151's and Orev for the TOW-mounted vehicles, because the Hummer with TOW mounted is also called Orev if I'm correct.

I believe that is correct.  There are many Djapa variants.  I think this was officially the Djapa Orev, but it just gets called the Orev.  The HMMWV TOW vehicle is the Hamer Orev.  I think I misread your post title: eyes saw Orev, brain said Shmira.  It's an age thing............  Don't laugh - your turn will come!

• Haha 2