BF 109 - G-6 - 1/48 - Eduard - My First Completed Adult Build!

Hi gents,

I have finally completed my Eduard BF109 G-6 Early Version in 1/48 scale after originally purchasing the kit back in November 2017!

I've on/off tackled this kit and have had a hell of a lot of problems which mainly stem from my lack of experience and this kit was a big learning curve for me and I'm happy to admit I found it really tricky.

In particular the painting itself (brush painted), and priming and finishing. I've had to do a lot of research and thank you to all those on here who have answered my many queries.

Many times its nearly ended up in the bin! I've listed some of the problems I have had on my work in progress thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038954-bf-109g-6-148-my-first-adult-build/&tab=comments#comment-3050467

Given the problems I'm pretty happy with the outcome although I stupidly tried touching up a bit of glossy paint I'd missed with matt varnish and its left some spray marks which you cannot see on the below photos!

Despite that I'm still quite happy.

IMG_20190212_162432

IMG_20190212_162418

IMG_20190212_162531

IMG_20190212_162050

IMG_20190212_162812

I had to turn up the contrast on my photos which has made some of the paintwork look grainier that it actually is.

Any comments/ criticisms more than welcome!  

Edited by Oberleutnant
  • Like 34

Looks pretty good to me. For a first build as an adult (and seeing all the problems you worked through in the build) I'd say you should be pleased. As others have said on the build thread, that wasn't a simple kit - so congrats on the end result.

Mark

• Like 1

Nice build particularly as it is your first. Photos will always bring out issues that you can't see when you look at the model, so really they are not an issue at all. Some of my models look great in the cabinet, but when photoed look really terrible.

• Like 1

Good to see this one make it RFI after all your trials and tribulations... :)

As everyone has pretty unanimously said, for a 'back to the hobby' build it is impressive. The Eduard ProfiPack 109s aren't the easiest but you've got it to the finish line.

Luft camo isn't very easy at all without an airbrush. You mnetion using pastels next time and that would be my advice. This is a link to a rather nicely done BV 155 which has been mottled using ground pastels http://hsfeatures.com/features04/bv155am_2.htm

Good luck with your next build.

Matt

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Well done and looks pretty good for brush painting. I've only recently graduated to an air brush. Kicking myself in the keester for not using one years ago

I don't have the space for an air brush kit or the ventilation.

Finish definitely looks better with an air brush but there is a joy in brush painting and a definite skill that I haven't yet mastered!

11 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Good to see this one make it RFI after all your trials and tribulations... :)

As everyone has pretty unanimously said, for a 'back to the hobby' build it is impressive. The Eduard ProfiPack 109s aren't the easiest but you've got it to the finish line.

Luft camo isn't very easy at all without an airbrush. You mnetion using pastels next time and that would be my advice. This is a link to a rather nicely done BV 155 which has been mottled using ground pastels http://hsfeatures.com/features04/bv155am_2.htm

Good luck with your next build.

Matt

Thank you.

It has been a struggle getting it over the line!

Trying to achieve the best I possibly can whereas in reality I didn't really need to.

Thanks for the link. Will look at that in future.

I would say in reality my mottling looks quite good I think.

Labour of love though!

Congrats on getting your first RFI on the board. Having just read your WIP thread I think you have managed to pull together a great build.

Like yourself, I am currently working on my first for over 30 years, and coincidentally it also happens to be an Eduard ProfiPACK 1/48 BF 109, however mine is the F-4 variant. One thing I have learned from this forum is the paint colour and scale variations. Basically the paints are referenced for 1:1 builds and making the colour lighter the smaller the scale will mean the finish will not look as dark. I intend to add approx 10% white to the colour mix to allow for this in 1/48 scale. I will be airbrushing though, which is a new experience for me (although I did bash together a 1/72 Airfix Hurricane to have a bit of a practice).

All the best for your next build.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogue. said:

Congrats on getting your first RFI on the board. Having just read your WIP thread I think you have managed to pull together a great build.

Like yourself, I am currently working on my first for over 30 years, and coincidentally it also happens to be an Eduard ProfiPACK 1/48 BF 109, however mine is the F-4 variant. One thing I have learned from this forum is the paint colour and scale variations. Basically the paints are referenced for 1:1 builds and making the colour lighter the smaller the scale will mean the finish will not look as dark. I intend to add approx 10% white to the colour mix to allow for this in 1/48 scale. I will be airbrushing though, which is a new experience for me (although I did bash together a 1/72 Airfix Hurricane to have a bit of a practice).

All the best for your next build.

Paul

Thanks Rogue.

Yeah I came across a few paint issues myself and didn't think about scale playing a part.

The wings on mine specified as RLM74 and RLM75 but the 75 made by Vallejo and at 1/48 scale is really dark and you can barely see the pattern! I used 'Dark Sea Grey' instead which worked well.

Being both Eduard Profipack 1/48 I wonder how many components and design they share.

I noticed the decals on mine were slightly too big and as a result would not actually fit exactly where the instructions show them and I rearranged them a few times to make them work - the tail rudder victory markings in particular.

Trying to think what other issues I had but mine were mainly me rather than the kit.

Keep an eye out on the correct decals for each mark I would say - mine was a bit unclear at times and there are a few small marking on mine that shouldn't be there!

Pretty good kit though.

Edited by Oberleutnant

43 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

The wings on mine specified as RLM74 and RLM75 but the 75 made by Vallejo and at 1/48 scale is really dark and you can barely see the pattern! I used 'Dark Sea Grey' instead which worked well.

Same here, my planned scheme:

IMG-5078.jpg

43 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Being both Eduard Profipack 1/48 I wonder how many components and design they share.

Lots of spare parts, different versions share the same sprues, I guess this where 'overtrees' come into play?

Edited by Rogue.

15 minutes ago, Rogue. said:

Same here, my planned scheme:

IMG-5078.jpg

Lots of spare parts, different versions share the same sprues, is this where 'overtrees' come into play?

Not sure what 'overtrees' are?

But yes even the instruction sheet is very similar and good to look at!

Not sure what paint you're using but as mentioned be wary of the camo colours. Vallejo's offering is a way off.

Think you said you were adding white?

My paint instructions:

20180602_092807

2 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Not sure what paint you're using but as mentioned be wary of the camo colours. Vallejo's offering is a way off.

Think you said you were adding white?

Also Vallejo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rogue. said:

Also Vallejo.

I like their paints.

I actually use Modelair when I can as its already thinned for airbrushing but also nice and thin for brush painting.

I find Modelcolour to be really thick and requires a lot of thinning although still good.

Also, the Modelcolour range is quite limited and the more specific military paints are only available in Modelair.

If adding 10% white doesn't work out as planned then the Modelcolour I used was Dark Sea Grey '70.991' which they also do in Modelair '71.053'.

That's a cracker.  I got back in last year and I'm currently on something like number 18 and still struggling.  You've done a great job on accuracy as far as I can see.  On my own models I settle for "near enough for jazz".  Hats off to you for diving in with the bigger scale... The extra detail in 48 compared to 72 is a bit too daunting for me. 

• Like 1

Eduard's 'overtrees' are just the plastic parts in a plain white box. No decals, masks, instructions, etch. But enough to produce a very decent model.

I think the best value are the weekend boxings which benefit from instructions, unique to that boxing decal scheme (two usually). This is especially true when the weekend kits are around the £12-£14 mark...

This is a Weekend kit (took a lot longer than a weekend, mind you :) )

24425035538_67c129ef80_o.jpg

Matt

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

That's a cracker.  I got back in last year and I'm currently on something like number 18 and still struggling.  You've done a great job on accuracy as far as I can see.  On my own models I settle for "near enough for jazz".  Hats off to you for diving in with the bigger scale... The extra detail in 48 compared to 72 is a bit too daunting for me. 

Thank you!

Give it a go mate.

Easier to handle and you can get more detail in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Eduard's 'overtrees' are just the plastic parts in a plain white box. No decals, masks, instructions, etch. But enough to produce a very decent model.

I think the best value are the weekend boxings which benefit from instructions, unique to that boxing decal scheme (two usually). This is especially true when the weekend kits are around the £12-£14 mark...

This is a Weekend kit (took a lot longer than a weekend, mind you :) )

24425035538_67c129ef80_o.jpg

Matt

Very nice mate.

I have noticed these weekend kits. Do seem good value.

The Profipac cost me circa £25 which could be worse.