Silhouette plotter - what software do you use?

Pin

The problem is with Silhouette Portrait 2 machine as without additional investments it is only capable of cutting pre-defined shapes from manufacturer's store.

I know that it can be done, the question is rather how to make this cutter to do what is needed. What combination of drivers/software works for this particular setup.

58 minutes ago, Pin said:

The problem is with Silhouette Portrait 2 machine as without additional investments it is only capable of cutting pre-defined shapes from manufacturer's store.

I know that it can be done, the question is rather how to make this cutter to do what is needed. What combination of drivers/software works for this particular setup.

Did they stop including the basic Silhouette Studio software with the Portrait 2 ? This can be used to draw any shape, although my cutter is an original Portait. I've seen the software for free download on the Silhouette Italy website, may be worth thrying it.

Personally I only use the Silhouette software for simple shapes as I have more experience on other softwares to draw more complext stuff. I generally use Corel Draw to draw the shapes, then export them to DXF format. With Silhouette Studio I import the DXF file, resize if needed (unfortunately it's always needed) and save as Silhouette proprietary format.

If the software you have allows to import and modify DXF or other formats, then any drawing software that can export to such formats can be used.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

unfortunately it's always needed

That's the part I want to avoid, as it makes it very hard to set dimensions accurately.

Has anyone tried to use RoboCut? Or InkCut? Or cutting extensions for InkScape? 

• 3 weeks later...

There's a mass of information, advice and questions over on the RMweb forum along with some inspiring model railway projects.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

Its a lengthy discussion (currently 95 pages) and includes discussion on software options including links to the silhouette software Centre in the USA.

Considering getting one myself.

• Like 1

I  use Inkscape to create the masks and Robocut to drive the silhouette portrait from my Linux computer. I usually cut Frisket, but also have cut Tamiya sheet masking paper as well as plain bond paper. I use silhouette's "Light Hold Cutting Mat" to hold the Frisket/tape/paper. There is a learning curve for Inkscape, but I'm getting pretty good with the tools I need. While I usually start from scratch, I've also imported bitmap images and trace the outline as a starting point.

I'm quite happy with this setup and the tool!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use a sillhouette portrait and i have upgraded my software with a designer edition from silhouette for wich i found a discount code somewhere online...

Now i do most of my masking with the designer edition from sillhouette.

This designer edition let you use SVG files as well from any drawing program like

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

In Dec, I switched to inkscape-silhouette. While I use it on Linux, it apparently also runs on MacOS and Windows. As this is an Inkscape extension, it will appear under Extensions-->Export-->Send to Silhouette...

It works very nicely! I've known about this for a very long time, but just recently made the switch when I started having problems with Robocut--turns out it's very old and long abandoned...

Send-To-Silhouette.png

BTW, those are the wheel masks for the Airfix 1/48 P-51

• Like 3