Five 1/72 look-alike in resin and plastic

Basilisk

On 2/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, Basilisk said:

I never heard about the Tokyo Koku Ki-107 so had to look it up. Does look sweet and would fit nicely into the group here.

Thanks Pat. These are just the typ of the iceberg as there are many more - indeed a fascinating time of aviation.

I had to do some changes on the SAI KZ II Træner cockpit after seeing the pictures here.

SAI-5.jpg

From this to this.

SAI-8.jpg

Just didn't like how bulky the control sticks looked - much better now.

I started this week on the SBS Model Goudron Caudron C.600 Aiglon.

C600-1.jpg

Like the SAI KZ II Træner kit, this is another great looking resin kit from SBS Models.

C600-2.jpg

Actually it is substantially better than the SAI KZ II Træner kit as the resin parts are much more refined and detailed.

The Caudron C.600 Aiglon flew first in December 1935 and 203 aircraft had been built, mainly for private use. One military user was the Royal Hungarian Air Force which used six from 1943 to 1945 as trainers. The example I build was named Kali and looks rather attractive.

C600-7.jpg

C600-6.jpg

Once again, construction started with the cockpit.

C600-3.jpg

C600-4.jpgC600-5.jpg

Looks like a nice little cockpit and there was no need to scratch build anything. Next up will be the Miles Hawk Major kit.

Thanks for watching

Cheers, Peter

Outstanding efforts on all kit!
However I must mention that is "Kati" :D :D Short form of Katalin (or a nick for Kata what is also comes from Katalin). :)

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, Borisz said:

Outstanding efforts on all kit!
However I must mention that is "Kati" :D:D Short form of Katalin (or a nick for Kata what is also comes from Katalin). :)

Thanks Boris for pointing out the typo in my post. It is now corrected. But interesting to know where the nickname came from.

Got the cockpit inserts finished for the Miles Hawk Major.

M2-10.jpg

Boy does this look rough. Just keep in mind that this picture is 10 time larger than the real part.

The IP does look ok considering that it is just a film.

M2-11.jpg

The instruments are covered with gloss varnish applied by a toothpick.

And the same on the Miles Magister.

M14-15.jpg

And it is the first fuselage getting glued together!

M14-16.jpg

Finished all the other cockpits as well, but still have to attach and paint the harnesses.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 4

Actually I thought you simply missread it or whatever. :)
It was a common thing to write the names of wifes, etc. on the airplanes in the RHAF (MKHL), but nose arts like sharkmauth was like never.
But now I stop my meddling. :)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 1:56 AM, Col. said:

Tidy work in tiny spaces Peter :goodjob:

These spaces start to get a bit too tiny for my liking.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:32 AM, Borisz said:

Actually I thought you simply missread it or whatever. :)
It was a common thing to write the names of wifes, etc. on the airplanes in the RHAF (MKHL), but nose arts like sharkmauth was like never.
But now I stop my meddling. :)

No need to stop meddling. I do enjoy all this extra information.

I made some further progress on four of the five builds. With the fuselage on the Miles Magister glued together, I could check how well the fuselage fits onto the wings. It was soon clear that there are some modifications needed.

First the cockpit inserts protruded to far out and interfered with the wing.

M14-17.jpg

A good way to see where the interference is, is to rub a soft pencil across the part which is too large. The graphite then creates a footprint, showing you where material has to be removed. You do this until no graphite shows up on the lower part.

The shape of the fuselage to wing also needed a bit of rework with a file and with care a good joint could be achieved.

M14-19b.jpg

Looking from the top that is. Looking from the side is another story.

M14-20.jpg

There is a bit of a mismatch. I will solve this by inserting some spacers into the wing to raise the wing profile matching the profile on the fuselage. After that I can complete the cockpit build of the Magister.

But last week was mainly a "fitting Harnesses" week.

Trainers-10x.jpg

After painting them all and bending them into position, the various cockpits are now ready to be closed up.

KL35-14.jpg

Found some old Airwaves Luftwaffe harnesses which I added to the Klemm 35.

SAI-13.jpg

Also added some Airwave RAF lap harnesses to the KZ II as they are not included. I will add the shoulder harness at the end of the build.

C600-10.jpg

And the Caudron C.600 Aiglon is a Harness galore. It is also the best looking pit of the lot with some minute detail.

Now I have to get the fuselages glued together who knows, I may have some wings in place - Looks like I am jumping ahead of myself :whistle:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

The five look-alikes are all looking good there Peter :goodjob: Nice tip about using the soft pencil to check interference points. I've used paint to the same effect but a pencil is much simpler.

• Like 1

Got a bit further on the Magister.

First I had to improve the seats.

M14-21.jpg

A Dremel (mine is an Aldi clone) can be very usefull for this task.

And now all the cockpit parts are fitted to the wing.

M14-22.jpg

The rudder pedals came with the kit and look rather accurate and the rest is scratch built.

The white thick plasticards represents the two main wing spars. When adding these parts, it became obvious that there are some proportional errors  in the structure of the side panels in the fuselage as not everything ended up where it should have been. So this had to be considered when placing the above parts so that the seats are located visually at the correct spot when fitting the wing to the fuselage.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...