Italeri 1/72 Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant

109 fan

Oh my!  I’d missed this (the thread, that is - if I look in the right direction I can probably see the actual model from here).  Bonkers.  Great.  But bonkers.

• Like 1

Things are moving along, but I wanted to break up the monotony of the RLM 70/71 finish. The model looks too much like a die-cast. Since the plane is fabric covered there are no panel lines to highlight. I could try the red brown/semi-gloss black technique that Chris Wauchop uses so effectively. But again no panel lines. Hmmm, I've heard about the oil paint dot filter technique. Let's give that a go! I went to my local art supply store and picked up a few complimentary colors and went at it straight away. The model now looks like it has Skittles-Pox. 

33497030728_05cfb502e9_c.jpgIMG_7116 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

46650081494_94644ca0b8_c.jpgIMG_7117 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

Well, that's ugly; let's try blending them in...

46650081074_014da3ab4d_c.jpgIMG_7119 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

46650080824_b154d9a11d_c.jpgIMG_7121 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

YUCK! I'm really not sure it's supposed to look like that. Is this the end!? Have I messed it up after six years on the bench??! We'll have to see. Tune in tomorrow to find out.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

That's how my P40s looked at first when I tried it, I just kept wiping away at it, front to back, until it started to lose the obvious streaks. I guess others will have done it better, but in the end I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Good luck with it!

You just need to keep going. However, its oil paint which takes a while to dry so if you should you decide that you don't like the effect, it will clean off the model quite easily.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Yep, they need min. 14 days to be really dry and afterwards they are also easy to remove. Maybe a little Tamiya acyilic thinner on a cotton cloth  to blend or for remove. Otherwise looking very fine. Cheers

That oil streaking is a brave move on this monster! I will never ever build one of these, nor am I even tempted to put one in the stash, but your build is inspirational. I'm hoping your streaks turn out nicely...

Regards,

Adrian

Well. That was waaay more drama than I intended. Before that last session ended I rubbed most of the oil paint from the surface of the wing and though it was OK. 

46650080494_fb6840a067_c.jpgIMG_7122 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

It was not. Looking at it the next day, I noticed a heavy haze over the entire wing, and that's a lot of wing. To compound things I also applied the oil dots over the tail surfaces, with all of the bell cranks, control horns and what not. I decided it had to come off, but it was too late. Despite the glossy surface, the oils clung tenaciously. I tried damp, then wet Q-tips. Then finally an old T-shirt soaked in odorless thinner. Eventually it began to give and I saw some hope. After quite a bit of time most of the oils came off and I was left with pretty much what I had intended. But it still seemed a bit overstated. I decided to put on another coat of Future, knowing that this would be irreversible. If it failed I would have to repaint or consign the whole project to the trash bin. Actually it worked better than I thought it might. But a lesson was learned. The type of color modulation we're looking for in 1/72 scale, even for big projects, doesn't require an aggressive application of dots. I continued with the fuselage weathering using only flesh tone, yellow and burnt umber, streaking the paint lightly using a broad brush. I then wiped it down quickly, leaving only a hint of the oils. This gave virtually the same effect and took less than an hour. 

Then again the whole thing was sealed with a coat of Future. I remembered some techniques from my old days of using Future, namely (for me at least) it sprays much better when thinned 50% with Tamiya acrylic thinner. Then it was on to applying the final satin coat. Here again, Future came to the rescue. I mixed Tamiya flat base about 1/8 parts with Future, again thinned 50% with Tamiya Thinner. This sprays extremely well and coats evenly. 

At this stage of construction, nearly every session begins with gluing on pieces knocked off the prior day. Yesterday it was two bell cranks, and the rear landing gear cover. That one was a challenge that required white glue, 5 minute epoxy, putty and repainting. This was the first time I used Vallejo acrylic putty. It was very useful for this purpose; filling in an area that was previously painted. The excess was wiped off with a damp Q-tip, then the area was resprayed. I've tried Perfect Plastic Putty, but prefer the Vallejo product since it dries much more slowly and can be manipulated for quite a while. 

So here's where things stand. Soon it will be time for unmasking the windows, and attaching the flaps and engines.

47407044361_0a429fed9c_c.jpgIMG_7123 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

47407043881_0aff9d4048_c.jpgIMG_7125 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

40441505863_558755d88c_c.jpgIMG_7126 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

The tonal variation is not evident in these photos, but does exist. Honest.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

• Like 12

Congratulations for persisting and then achieving the effect that you want. Sometimes trying out new ideas does cause problems, but on a project of this size and with so much effort it would have been a disaster to give up now. Great that your idea worked in the end - now we can look forward to seeing the finished model.

P

Thanks everyone for the comments!

The Gigant continues to progress. Over the past few days I have unmasked the fuselage windows, giving them their first glimpse of light in about five years, and applied the canopy frames. These were made from painted clear decal strips. First RLM 02 was sprayed to represent the interior frames, then RLM 71 for the exterior camouflage. This was done on a large sheet, then strips were cut using a scalpel and steel ruler.  Finally today I attached the engines. 

46516416745_2cbcbeef5e_c.jpgIMG_7129 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

46516416605_5d3e3c979f_c.jpgIMG_7133 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

47378773472_ec58a8574e_c.jpgIMG_7136 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

Edited by 109 fan
  • Like 14

This is looking excellent. I wish I had room for my one. Still my 1/144 kit turned up today. I had a quick look and was very pleased with it. It won't be as nice as this one , but at least it will fit in the cabinet. This model here will encourage me to get on to my little guy sooner than later.

• Like 1

Thanks, gents; I appreciate the kind words. Greg, I've also picked up the Pit Road 1/144 Me 323, which appears  to be a great model. I only wish the Italeri kit had that level of sophistication.

The Gigant continues to inch toward to the finish line. Tonight I added the remaining flaps and ailerons. The main wing struts were a challenge, being fragile and ill-fitting. Eventually I found that white glue worked best.The gaps were filled in with repeated applications of diluted white glue and a bit of Vallejo plastic putty. Finally the joints were airbrushed with RLM 65 to blend in the gaps. Here the props are just pushed in place for some photos. Not much left to do, but there will be touchups. 

32533960487_9fa9316c61_c.jpgIMG_7142 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

32533960677_d9e5abee7e_c.jpgIMG_7141 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

32533960947_d4db261a06_c.jpgIMG_7139 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

32533961237_c438961160_c.jpgIMG_7137 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

• Like 11

Looking at it makes one wonder if that modell almost would go up in the air by itself. Impressing wingspan!

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Well, she's done. Or rather, I decided to quit working on her which is the same thing. There are always touch-ups to be done and things to improve or add. But I have to get her boxed up tomorrow and ready for the Three Rivers IPMS show the next day. After buying an extremely large plastic box (too small) and emptying a storage box of kits (also too small), I'll spend tomorrow constructing a transportation box from thick foam core. So...no time for vanity photos now; these will have to suffice.

33613115088_63eb0dfb1c_c.jpgIMG_7152 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

33613114808_38f89bca22_c.jpgIMG_7153 by Barry Numerick, on Flickr

After our show I'll clean up the workbench and take some better photos. In the meantime, thanks for following along during this six year journey. And thanks also for your encouragement and kind words along the way. There are much appreciated.

• Like 13