Quickie Hobbyboss F-86F

azureglo

On 2/14/2019 at 7:38 PM, Courageous said:

Gotta love a Sabre but I have never been drawn to the HokeyBoss kit.

I'd like to know a little more of '24548' as she has the tail flashes of a South African aircraft?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

not South African, 18th FBW  USAF, the US national markings & U S Air Force fuselage titles tend to give this away. Unable to say which squadron within the 18th as the nose ring is not in squadron colours, yellow for 12th FBS or red for 87th FBS. The South Africans did however serve with the 18th, 2 Sqn being attached. The S.A. Sabres flew with S.A. springbok roundels.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spaddad said:

not South African,

Thanks Spaddad, the 'flash' looked South African, I should've known better having just completed a South African Sabre :doh:. It is interesting that you state the aircraft as being from a FBS though as I've just posted a question in the 'cold war' forum.

Stuart

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thanks Spaddad, the 'flash' looked South African, I should've known better having just completed a South African Sabre :doh:. It is interesting that you state the aircraft as being from a FBS though as I've just posted a question in the 'cold war' forum.

Stuart

The Hobbyboss kit comes with decals for the SAAF version I think?

Well distraught that I only have three more episodes of the Orville with Lt. Kitan to enjoy, I got on with the old decalbogen-ing. The wraparound band was the hardest so it went first. Not too bad,it will  need a touch up underneath and a  few wrinkles that boiling water/Daco red should sort out. Interesting with just a hint of Microset the HB decals are already beginning to snuggle down on the unglossed Alclad panels lines...

46199937305_1da1b69966_b.jpg

Now if I can delay my Halston Sage commiseration sundowners, I may get this finished today

• Like 5

Man a whole day of decal fun: There ain't a lot but they're interesting to work with. The big wrap around wing ones took some trimming to get right and just about every single decal fell off the super smooth Alclad at least once...much time delicately retrieving codes etc from the carpet with my super duper swiss tweezers and repositioning them. I also trimmed out each letter and number as close as possible from the huge blocks of decal film holding them together and screaming, I'm silvering on you baby! Everything, though, snuggled down beautifully into the panel lines using the boiling water/paper towel method. @06/24, have you glued on your drop tanks, if so you're in for a world of fun applying the USAF markings.🤣

33251336198_2965cd5d20_b.jpg

46212628285_c448116a8b_b.jpg

Anyhoo, its all on, seems to be staying put and gets a quick gloss coat but I've decided its too cute to give away so birthday boy can have my Gnat from the Airfix Therapy Thread (which he wanted anyway). It been real baby, mighty real:, finishing shots and RFI tomorrow if I dont drop it or give it a bath in cellulose thinners. Now a thick steak and a decent Cabernet beckons as I begin my four episode farewell to the lovely Lt Kitan/Halston Sage, parting is such sweet sorrow...😭

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Oops...

Go on, cut each little bleeder out and fiddle with tweezers for nearly half an hour like I did! ( or run a teeny bit of acetone -if you used superglue- into the mounting points and pry off gently...)

On 2/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Anil !

Nice Sabre Indeed, and a good paneling job !

Congrats also for your french writing !!

Sincerely.

CC

All that crud I was typing was French? Hmmm my english to welsh dictionary (printed in China) may not be all I thought it was🤔

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Man a whole day of decal fun: There ain't a lot but they're interesting to work with. The big wrap around wing ones took some trimming to get right and just about every single decal fell off the super smooth Alclad at least once...much time delicately retrieving codes etc from the carpet with my super duper swiss tweezers and repositioning them. Everything, though, snuggled down beautifully into the panel lines using the boiling water/paper towel method. @06/24, have you glued on your drop tanks, if so you're in for a world of fun applying the USAF markings.🤣

Glad to know I wasn't the only one with HB's decals not sticking into the surface.

I tried to use the boiling water method and the decal distorted. Never using it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one with HB's decals not sticking into the surface.

I tried to use the boiling water method and the decal distorted. Never using it again.

Not hot enough, the plastic should be screaming in pain for this to work properly🤣 + HB decals usually work fine but its the Alclad, it wont even stick to itself as its so smooth, my Spit 22 using Alclad HSS was constantly shedding its decals before the gloss coat (literally, they started falling off while drying).

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Boiling water works fine for most things, but I used microsol and set with HB decals previously with tolerable results.

Yup, used set to position these and get my nightly vinegar whiff...you don't get that Chip Shop vibe with the Daco stuff...

• Like 1

And the final few touches; Hacked off the hideous looking pitot and substituted with Albion Alloys tube, interesting what "real" aluminium looks like compared to the paint...

47146209761_e6784cf735_b.jpg

Molotow chrome for the retraction jacks

33270848998_c036352ef7_b.jpg

A twee way to do nav lights, first a clear green bulb and then a proper completely clear cover, 5 minutes with sharpies and UV cure resin

46231910445_106d0566b6_b.jpg

Gunsight and windscreen armoured glass.

47146154891_180ec976fe_b.jpg

And tada ,all done! Four done for 2019, booyah!! I'm off to cat sit with my fave Siamese so proper RFI tomorrow Cheery bye peoples...I feel something Spooky coming on to fill this one's spot on workstation 3.

47094055682_791b97a37a_b.jpg

Anil

• Like 7