Quickie Hobbyboss F-86F

azureglo

My other builds have got me a bit bogged down as one is a resin that that nothing fits and has a surface like the moon and t'other needs a lot of sanding and filling, so I decided to dust this off and get her into the paint shop asap to try out my various Alcalds that I've had for forever but was inspired by how well they work  as shown here.

The kit was an Amazon freebie  back in January for being a vine reviewer that I did some prep on four weeks ago  and promptly forgot so a little timeshifting... Note one piece body/wings, lovely.

33200371808_95ea550fca_b.jpg

Canopy with hideous lugs and matching canyons in fuselage, not so lovely

33200387168_d266511c59_b.jpg

IP cloned from Eduard etch

47023274062_a886a4ffd9_b.jpg

Seat from Quickboost but with some bogus painting....note HB tree trunk control stick replaced with something more in scale.

32133766607_89334375ec_b.jpg

Fuselage canyons filled with canopy lugs and smoothed with skimming putty:

47075413881_6e8df0efce_b.jpg

HB aren't keen on the gear up option but that won't stop me, nor will the ludicrously misshapen and sized gear doors,

47023308892_3369487861_b.jpg

Cricut Air 2 to the rescue, a smear of Mr Surfacer 500 and she'll do.

46161970075_c8ae3aaae9_b.jpg

Zipped up, magnetised, masked and ready for the Alcald grey first thing tomorrow.

46161982095_d9a3087124_b.jpg

Toodle pip 

Anil

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Splendid, dial up The Hunters on the gogglebox and listen to the engines roar...

Gotta be honest, If I don't get me a weekly hit of that sweet sweet Mr Leveling, I ain't a happy pappy...gotta paint something, getting bored filling 'n sanding, sanding 'n filling,...

• Like 1

Well maybe not that shiny, Alclad aluminium on with gun bay in steel. Tomorrow sees the contrasting panels in duraluminium

32153258027_fda1a3cb29_b.jpg

A word on Alclad, a lot of folk complain about it but I used here and my OOB spit 22 in my therapy build thread (in my sig), and I find its brilliant for fine grain , a piece of cake to spray and get an even finish and clean up is seconds. I sprayed the Ali main coat and then Tamiya tape masked the gun bay within 20 minutes! No lift, chipping etc. The alleged smell is no worse than Mr Paint/Mr Color et al + levelling thinners. I have some of the new AK Extreme metals etc but I fear 'tis naught but the Emperors New Clothes.

Adios muchachos!

Anilo

• Like 7

Got mine out of the stash, along with its Airfix cousin. Hokeyboss wings have nasty flow marks on the upper surface, so I foresee some fill and sand in my future. Might do one wheels down, one wheels up (Airfix supply a pilot and hopefully undercarriage doors that will fit closed!) I can use the spare Pavla seat i bought for the Airfix to dress up the HB version.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Got mine out of the stash, along with its Airfix cousin. Hokeyboss wings have nasty flow marks on the upper surface, so I foresee some fill and sand in my future. Might do one wheels down, one wheels up (Airfix supply a pilot and hopefully undercarriage doors that will fit closed!) I can use the spare Pavla seat i bought for the Airfix to dress up the HB version.

Defo on the seat, they supply a Frog vintage armchair.  Another thing is the top fuselage and wind/fuselage section didn't want to stay together on mine, Roket hot and Zap kicker welded them together instantly (to no doubt violently explode at some point in the distant future). If you do a wheels up*, I can run off some doors in the right size and canopy masks ( I drew them  so no copyright issue !). The doors need a bit of fettling as I could not be bothered to do the three or four variants to get them right and of course, the canopy fit is  a beast without the lugs! BTW if you're doing a NMF give it a good going over with 600 wet or dry, I just found a whole load of gouges, mould scars etc (which are not going to be fixed in the true spirit of a "Quickie")

* for the wheels down I will of course keep my spare undercarriage in a ready to post jiffy bag:rofl2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, azureglo said:

...If you do a wheels up*, I can run off some doors in the right size and canopy masks ( I drew them  so no copyright issue !). 

* for the wheels down I will of course keep my spare undercarriage in a ready to post jiffy bag:rofl2:

That's very kind, yes please! As I have two kits, I hope I will manage to end up with at least three wheel legs😂😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

PS the contrast between the Aluminium and the steel gun bay looks spot on:

46497413502_b23d13f3cd_c.jpgUSA - Air Force North American F-86F-30-NA Sabre S/N 52-4548 12th FS by Jay, on Flickr

Cool,thats given me some reference for panels to do in a contrasting colour! My, for things at war they look very  shiny. I suppose they wanted to impress the North Koreans...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

Gotta love a Sabre but I have never been drawn to the HokeyBoss kit.

I'd like to know a little more of '24548' as she has the tail flashes of a South African aircraft?

Stuart

The South Africans had F-86 Sabres? No wonder those  natives didn't stand a chance with a few spears and elephant dung filled slingshots...mmm manure.....

4 minutes ago, azureglo said:

I see @Courageous has viewed this, yes Stuart you were taunting me weren't you? " Look at me I have five Sabres and poor sad Anil has none, not even a two seater like mine." As soon as I've taken my anti-paranoia drugs, I'm getting straight back to finishing this...

At your build rate, you'll reach six before I will although it'll be a while before I see a 2 seater from you :tease:.

Stuart

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

At your build rate, you'll reach six before I will although it'll be a while before I see a 2 seater from you :tease:.

Stuart

It will be longer than that, I am definitely not doing this in my current (or next seven) lifetime (s).

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, 06/24 said:

Splendid, dial up The Hunters on the gogglebox and listen to the engines roar...

For those of you you missed this ref, this was a killer movie with Robert Mitchum and an impossibly young looking Robert Wagner (albeit with lots of stock footage)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051750/

And while we're on the nostalgia trip, on topic and one of my all time fave guitar heroes who reminded us that "he knew the bride when she used to rock 'n roll". Shredders look upon this and weep, this is how you rock a Gibson 335.

• Like 2

Hello Anil... Here are some good period color photo’s of korea and post war. They should give you various panels to choose from. But the key one you really should do is the upper/lower wings. They're very distinctive. 

HKAKJxL.png

Korea ⬆️⬇️

ZqaU5do.png

Post war ⬇️

Df8RhwW.png

And some close-up’s of this aircraft ⬆️ next.

FwkUM3B.png

zv7TYEu.png

Hope they help ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Anil... Here are some good period color photo’s of korea and post war. They should give you various panels to choose from. But the key one you really should do is the upper/lower wings. They're very distinctive. 

19 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Pinterest has some good reference shots, I've collected a few here: https://pin.it/6w3hgjb3ztg7hc

Hope they help ? 

Dennis

Thanks gents, These have given me a good idea of what panels to pick out after I fix a slight lacquer thinners incident 😓

Anil

• Sad 2

A quick run with some Alclad duraluminium and white aluminium;

33230268688_ee1ae19c4a_b.jpg

47053315172_060cd20a39_b.jpg

In retrospect, I should tone down the white aluminum and add a few more dark panels but this has to be on the birthday recipients desk on Monday so allons y mes braves! La decalomanie commence demain!!

Au revoir,

L'Anil

• Like 5