The end of an era - Mi-24D KHG3 NVA 1990

Hello Folks,

this WIP is somewhat special to me, I normally do floating things.

But there's a story behind this build.

This is going to be a present for my father's birthday. He was a helicopter pilot in the east german army from 1980 untill there was no more east germany. He flew the Mi-24D and I always loved hearing the stories he had to tell about this time. So I decided that he deserves to have a nice model to remind him of that time. I will be modelling the machine he flew on his very last flight in September '90. This is how it looked:

IMG-5137.jpg

I originally wanted to use the Italeri Hind D Kit for this as it already has german markings... but the markings included are wrong... those are for a helicopter taken over by the bundeswehr after the reunion. so I got some NVA markings and stencils.

I then started the italeri kit and found it to be very crude... So I got the HobbyBoss kit which is very nicely molded and has a far more accurate interior... So I will be using the Italeri decals and the pitot tube on the hobbyBoss kit. (The HobbyBoss pitot is the wrong shape and as I need to finish this until sunday evening I don't have the time to order the master model replacement.)

So here's the boxes and the decals I'm using... Oh and I also got the eduard masks for the hobbyboss canopies.

001.jpg

In order to get the right shape I had to fill this antena / lump of plastic... whatever it is it has to go

002.jpg

I then started with dryfitting the interior and getting the first colors on the cockpit.

nothing glued jet!

To get the cockpit color close to this typical russian turquoise I painted it with light blue and applied a green wash to it. not perfect but I will leave it as it is.

003.jpg
004.jpg

Some more detail painting to follow.

Heres the paint scheme I'll try to achieve:

farbschema.png

The model will be placed an a small base of concrete airstrip.

Thats it for today, hopefully I'll get some good progress tomorrow!

Thanks for watching

Any comments welcome

Cheers

Konrad

• Like 13

Today I finished off the cockpit and cargo bay. It is not exactly showroom quality but the model will be looked at from some distance so I'll focus on the outside.

005.jpg
006.jpg

I installed the passenger doors shut and started on the hull... some panel lines need to be rescribed, not my favorite thing to do😩

007.jpg

I also started on the base. It is a kitchen cutting board from ikea 20 x 30 cm and received a coat of filler primer. Now I need to restock my sheet styrene to lay down the concrete blocks.

008.jpg

'till later

Konrad

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Nice work ... and rapid progress too!

Thanks, as I said earlier this has to be finished by sunday so I have only 4 days left.

32 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Konrad.

Your cockpit looks great - certainly better than I could paint it. 

I look forward to watching your progress. 

Chris. 

Thanks for the kind words!

progress will be uploaded daily

cheers Konrad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Konrad, this is a wonderful topic for a build and I'm glad you're sharing it with us.

Is there any chance your father took any photos during his service that you can post?

Sadly I do not have any photos. He did shoot very few because at that time it was  prohibited and everyone with a camera at the airfield would be suspected of espionage for the west... When I visit my parents next week I will ask him of I could post a few of his photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Looking great Konrad, and what a great story for your build too.

How long do you have to complete it?

Until sunday... that makes a total of 4 days including today... no room for error!😅

After getting evergreen sheets from my LHS I managed to complete the concrete blocks for the base.

009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg

looking forward to painting it! but prior to that I have to get everything done that has to go inside the hull, so I can close it up soon...

So... TO THE MANCAVE!!!

Cheers Batman (a.k.a. Konrad)

Edited by USS_ESSESS
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks great, Conrad!

The HobbyBoss kit has a nice cockpit detailing. I looked at this kit, but chose the kits from Zvezda for my future Mi-24 builds.

Looking forward for your diorama here! 🙂

Cheers!

I‘d prefered the zvezda kit but wasn‘t able to get it in time. 

No real diorama, just a small piece of airstrip as a base. Again time is the limiting factor...

• Like 1

I have a question regarding dipping canopies... I have alclad Aqua gloss and the bottle says it can be used for dipping. I habe never done it but seen it here with great results... can anyone explain how it’s done and what exactly it does and if it’s really necessary? As the canopy has a mold line down the middle I have to polish it anyway.

thanks in advance for a helping hand!

Konrad

Edited by USS_ESSESS

33 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

can anyone explain how it’s done and what exactly it does and if it’s really necessary?

All the tutorials I’ve seen about it says it’s used for the small scratches and dents elimination, and for an overall «shining» effect. Many of modellers use for the dipping a non-diluted Future/Pledge. I think you don’t need it for the modern, precise-moulded parts.

39 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

As the canopy has a mold line down the middle I have to polish it anyway.

You’re right here.

Cheers! 🙂

• Thanks 1

@Nikolay Polyakov thanks for this quick answer!

Today I made good progress, I finished the base!

Here's how I did it:

Somewhat marbled two tones of gray and preshaded in black

012.jpg

then misted over with tan

013.jpg

then I went back to the first gray and broke up the uniformity (is that word right??)

No picture of it but you can see it in the next stage...

...which is masking of some lines! First time I used the thin white vinyl tape from tamiya and it really helps with curves...

014.jpg

and the result:

015.jpg

all that's left was glueing on the grass. I used spray glue for that. the grass itself is a finished mat for railway modellers. It's super easy to use.

016.jpg

I am really stroked how well that turned out. This is only the second base I ever made for a model and I'm so impressed how easy it actually is! Maybe I should also try a seabase for my ships?!?

- END OF PART ONE -

Part Two:

The Hull is glued together!

Therefore I still had to paint the exhaust pipes. those parts are of poor design sadly... here is a before and after filing, filling and sanding...

017.jpg018.jpg

In color:

019.jpg

The basecolor is Chrome Silver followed by titanium gold at the tips. The inside is gunmetal and smoke.

then I installed the rear windows, masked them and everything was ready for assembly.

020.jpg

A lot of tape was necessary to glue the hull halves together but it wasn't enough. will have to do some filling and sanding tomorrow and the worst of all... rescribing panel lines!!!

021.jpg

thanks to nikolay I was also able to finish the canopy. scraped the mold line with a sharp no 11 then polished up with micromesh. Another first: Eduards die-cut masks, what can I say... I love it!

022.jpg

so here's where I am now. I glued together various body parts and tomorrow will be mostly filling sanding blending...

023.jpg

That's it for today...

Hope you like it.

Cheers Konrad

• Like 7

The base looks fantastic, Conrad! Congratulations 🎈You’re really fast with this build, I can’t move like this.

As for the canopies, I prefer to fix it on a fuselage before the masking, then mask with a Maskol (I don’t know why the most of us prefers the tape). The truth is, when you’re glue the masked canopy, the glue can capillary penetrate under the tape...

Just today I glued the fuselage halves of my Hind E...

Cheers! 😎

25 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The base looks fantastic, Conrad! Congratulations 🎈You’re really fast with this build, I can’t move like this.

I am currently in spring break, my misses is at work... this leaves me aprox. 8 hours in the Mancave! that is how I can progress so fast. And I really enjoy this build so far so the Mojo is on max level😄

29 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

As for the canopies, I prefer to fix it on a fuselage before the masking, then mask with a Maskol (I don’t know why the most of us prefers the tape). The truth is, when you’re glue the masked canopy, the glue can capillary penetrate under the tape...

I‘ll use just a hint of ca gel to fix the canopy to the fuselage so I don’t think there will be problems with the glue getting under the masks. 

My problem with liquid mask is that it ruined one of my favorite brushes so until I find a better way of applying it I will keep its use to a minimum...

And I‘m really curious how your Hind will turn out!

Cheers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

8 hours in the Mancave!

A lot of work!

28 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

I‘ll use just a hint of ca gel to fix the canopy to the fuselage so I don’t think there will be problems with the glue getting under the masks

I can’t work with CA glue, it’s very tricky for me :facepalm:

29 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

My problem with liquid mask is that it ruined one of my favorite brushes so until I find a better way of applying it I will keep its use to a minimum...

I use only a toothpick! Try it.

29 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

And I‘m really curious how your Hind will turn out!

Me too! 😂

Cheers! 🙃

• Haha 1

Well the Misses had a bad day end went to bed early... sooo I had another couple hours in the mancave... 

glued the canopy using just a hint of CA gel to avoid fogging and sprayed the interior color. Also closed the gaps with putty 

1919877-F-9143-4060-9141-A83-BF6591-FCA.

654-D4-DCD-FC38-4-BA9-9714-BFF2874-E8489

and then the primer! I was really hoping no major issues were revealed but I guess I need to go for putty and sanding once more... but she looks good all gray. 

01-B794-E4-7-F51-4235-9-AEA-7-E592-CCD90
02227-F66-3-A06-4-D9-C-932-F-525-A36-B8-

enough for today!

cheers Konrad

• Like 4