Airfix Alpha Jet

rafalbert

In for a penny......

A friend gave me this one too, having started on the cockpit but given up. If the decals survive I will finish it in the ex-Luftwaffe Qinetiq scheme.

IMG_20190212_193325

• Like 7

Camo of course! It brings back memories of sitting in the tower at Cranwell and watching one cruise down the runway at approx 100ft for an aircrew graduation flypast. I used to enjoy those.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

I managed to get a bit more done today. The bulk of the fuselage is now closed up and seams cleaned, and the nose is attached and filled. The intakes as you can see are not the best fit so a bit of fettling will be required.

IMG_20190303_195748

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been forgetting to add updates to this one so this is a bit of a jump ahead. Everything is now assembled (bar the wheels and nozzles) so I have given it a coat of primer. The wing root joins need a little more work, as does the front of the canopy. Out with the filler..

IMG_20190317_141117

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Thanks Col, if I had more time and skill I would attempt the patchiness of the machines as they were in service, but I have neither!

Always something to experiment with at a later date ;)  I've found dry-brushing a useful technique for that as well as being great fun.

• Like 1

Very interesting project, the Alpha-Jet was stationed at Oldenburg air base from 1981 to 1993 at Jagdbombergeschwader ( Fighter Bomb Wing ) JaboG 43, so many times i had been there in landing area to watch their landings and take-offs, unforgetable.

A lot of people makes jokes about this aircraft, coz so little, so sweet, so cute, but it was really effective in his role and beloved from the pilots, coz she was easy to fly and very maneuverable

• Like 2

Well, I am done. The decals were some of the worst I have dealt with, not settling down or adhering and silvering ridiculously. The serials disintigrated so I replaced them with some of xtradecals finest. I also messed up the surface finish so all in all not my finest effort. At this point I must confess to not being an Alpha Jet fan; to me it looks rather ungainly and almost mismatched in places. I don't doubt it was good at it's job, but it does not have the elegance of the Hawk. Still, it fits a gap in my collection and will look ok on the shelf (from a distance!).

IMG_20190331_112032

• Like 3