Pilatus PC-21 - ++ FINISHED ++

nimrod54

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Not heard of 3D Blitz Models before so be interesting to see what you get with this one John.

Not a manufacturer that I have come across either Col, so the contents will be a journey of discovery for both of us. Searching the internet seems to show that this was a first foray into aircraft, other kits look to be military vehicles and MPK Modellbau are the parent company.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

OOoooooooo, nice!

Any ideas on colour scheme yet?

Not too sure yet H. I like the look of the grey demonstrator on the kit decals, but Matterhorn Circle do a nice Swiss AF set with stencil data and canopy det cords. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made a start on the cockpit for this one over the weekend and have the tub and IP's assembled, I just have to sort out some belts for the seats and then I can complete the assembly and close up the fuselage. 3D suggest adding weight to the nose, after closing the fuselage, via a panel on the underside of the nose which is fitted later, but I think I will fit some in the gaps around the cockpit, prior to closing things up - keeping the front end in reserve.

47210393771_3b98ed4274_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47210394221_4713c20bd5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

Thanks for the comments guys. I started detailing the seats last night, adding the harness using the foil from a wine bottle and then painting them up. Today I made the ejection handles from thin copper wire and painted them yellow/black, I've also picked out the handles on the lower seat frame in the same colours. I then gave everything a light wash of Citadel's Nuln Oil and these are now ready for fitting into the cockpit.

46344693315_48631d9d6b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The cockpit was fixed into one half of the fuselage and I then glued the halves together.

33383457238_eaf6bac067_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

In answer to @Silenoz question about detailing of the sidewalls, I have checked out some photos and from what I have found the detail seems to consist of a trim panel running from under the canopy sill down to the side consoles, with a couple of data placards, and what I think is a small stowage box. Once the seats are in place, there isn't a lot to see, so I won't be doing anything else to those areas. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I built this kit six or seven years ago for a mate.

All I can remember is that the main gear was a bit tricky.

Study the distructions and take your time with it.

Thanks for the heads-up Pete. It has gone together very well so far. I have assembled the wings and glued them to the fuselage, just a bit of filler required on the underside joins. I've had a look at the instructions for the undercarriage leg assemblies and as you say they do look a bit tricky, but I will follow your advice and take my time with them.

• Like 1

As mentioned previously, I have fixed the wings in place and then added some filler to the undersides - none needed around the roots though. I just have to tidy the joints around the fin and the small strake on the lower part of the fuselage.

32326098647_fe3aa66c19_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32326097697_780bef7907_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46544591584_ab8718609e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46544591904_9eded65f8b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

33392297768_ce247fa6a7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

On 03/03/2019 at 16:58, CliffB said:

Beautiful work on a beautiful aircraft John

On 03/03/2019 at 18:00, Hockeyboy76 said:

:ditto:

Cheers fellas, it's almost ready for some colour and I also need to have a look at those main undercarriage legs.

13 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm very impressed by this build, I was expecting this to be like a short run kit, with all the consequences in terms of fit but the pictures show a different story, very nice !

I remember you saying that you had one of these Giorgio. It's a really nice kit to put together and the fit is on a par, if not better than many of the leading manufacturers - which is hardly surprising, considering the Swiss origins of 3D Blitz's parent company. :)

I am sure you will enjoy the build when you get around to putting yours together.

• Like 1