AFV Club Valentine Mk I

f matthews

This build has been in process for six years this week.  I got hung up on the G3/G4 camouflage, but found something I like (Tamiya paints mixed to Starmer formulas).  I have used four different brands that claimed to be authentic and either the colour was all wrong or the paint was terrible or both.  Just need to finish up a base and a couple of figures for this one.

AFV Valentine Mk IAFV Valentine Mk IAFV Valentine Mk IAFV Valentine Mk I

• Like 18

Wow. I like it a lot. It's quite a clean finish without excessive mud or dust and the overall feel of it is spot on. The camouflage and those colors look brilliant too.

Could I ask few photos of it on the human eye level as well?

A very nice build and paint job of what I'm finding to be rather a 'fiddly' kit. I've just about finished the hull on my attempt but the build is stalled as I'm now painting and papering a 1:1 front room.

One small point that caught my eye where your build differs from mine concerns the 2 handles on the engine cover louvres.  Your's are angled inwards from the attachment points, towards the cover without handles, whereas I've angled mine outwards from the attachment points. Looking at the book "Into the Valley" photos of the Mark 1 with the 2 handles and the later Marks with 4 handles, all seem to show the handles to be angled outwards. 

Rear engine decks.  Yes, the handles are unfortunately wrong.  But let that not detract from an otherwise excellent build and finish so far.  We've all had an "oh bugger" moment..........  But see how on the Mks II and XI some of the handles are bent up or over in the wrong direction.  If there isn't the opportunity to change then, perhaps some judicious bending might help disguise it.

MkI

bIow8Qs.jpg

MkII

e6rdjdH.jpg

MkXI

IGQhDIv.jpg

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 2

An interesting question.  Having just looked for an answer in the book " Into the Vally" I'm not entirely clear what the answer is.   There's a small pic of "fuel being pumped in by hand" which shows a line going into an area at the edge of the transverse inlet covers/louvres on the left side (looking forward). The accompanying caption says "Early Valentines had hinged side plates, allowing the fuel tank to be filled without lifting the whole top louvre."

A schematic diagram of the engine bay (that unfortunately  does not show the louvres) shows the "fuel filler cap" as as possibly being under where the second or third louvre counting from the rear would be. 

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the fuel filler cap is hidden under one of the inlet louvres.

13 hours ago, Chris B said:

A schematic diagram of the engine bay (that unfortunately  does not show the louvres) shows the "fuel filler cap" as as possibly being under where the second or third louvre counting from the rear would be. 

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the fuel filler cap is hidden under one of the inlet louvres.

Many thanks for taking the time to look for an answer, Chris!

I figure som scratchbuilding would be required to depict the fule filler area... will have to ponder this some.

Thanks again! :)

• 11 months later...

Excellent looking tank. We have one of these standing in IMA (Indian Military Academy), though not in such good shape as this one and having had a chance to closely observe it, yours looks extremely realistic.

• Like 1