Phantom FGR2 bomb questions?

Matt P

The Airfix FGR2 comes with a plethora of munitions including these finned bomb that share mounting pylons with the Sidewinders (Top centre pics on the instructions). They seem too small to be CBU's but the instructions give no clue as to what they are or what colour they should be etc (I assume dark green but not sure what colour bands etc should be there?). The instruction shown is actually the FGR1 but these particular bombs are the same in the FGR2 pack (No SNEBS in the FGR2 though). 

Airfix supply a huge colour print and decals detailing colours and markings on every other weapon/missile but these.

Any ideas?

IMG_0033_zps9u8bjv4x.jpgIMG_0046_zpsbmaunfj7.jpg

Edited by Matt P

If they are 1,000lb. bombs ( I've not seen the kit ) they would, as stated be dark green ( bronze green ) with a 2" wide yellow nose band for HE bombs. Alternatively you could paint the bomb a medium blue ( Saxe blue ) with a green tail unit to represent practice bombs, or even dark blue ( Oxford blue ) for drill bombs.  HTH:cheers:

I've never found any evidence that the RAF used the combined fit of Sidewinders and bombs on the inboard pylons. It was either Sidewinders only or mud moving weapons only.

The FAA did use combined loads on the FG1's.

Agree with Starfighter about the colours for 1,000lb bombs.

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I've never found any evidence that the RAF used the combined fit of Sidewinders and bombs on the inboard pylons. It was either Sidewinders only or mud moving weapons only.

The FAA did use combined loads on the FG1's.

Agree with Starfighter about the colours for 1,000lb bombs.

As Phone Phixer says during the early 70's when Phantoms were used for strike / ground attack they very rarely carried sidewinders. I did see them fitted on one of our birds once, but normal fit was Matra M155 rocket pods on one inboard pylon and a practice bomb ( CBLS )  carrier on the other plus an SUU23 gun pod on the centreline. Of course, their main mission in Germany at that time was nuclear strike, but that's another matter, so I won't elaborate on that !  HTH  :cheers:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. These look too small to be 1000lb bombs and the shape is a bit indistinct, so I might end up ordering some resin replacements before long. I intend to do this as a 2 squadron recce Phantom so no sidewinders or sparrows on, just some dumb bombs and the recce pod. Any recommendations for resin items?

I was thinking maybe these would be more appropriate?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RS72-0108

RS72-0108.jpg?t=1544195475

Edited by Matt P

On 2/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, Matt P said:

I think you may be right about the 540lb bomb. The kit bombs look very similar in shape to these.

540lb+General+Purpose+Bomb.jpg

Someone should probably tell that cadet squadron that neither of the bombs they have used for that slide are 540lb bombs, hahaha!

The photo is a 1000lb bomb. The profile view looks like a Mk.82 with the wrong tail.

• Haha 1