Props with black blades and yellow tips - when from?

rossm

I'm in the process of finishing my Sunderland in pre-war silver and have started painting the props with black blades and yellow tips. Then I was checking my reference photo (L5802 taking off in the Air Britain book Ocean Sentinel) and the props don't look to be black. Checking other pre-war photos shows other a/c with props that aren't black.

When did the black/yellow combination come in? What was used before - specifically on Sunderlands?

Also posted in the WWII forum - it's on the cusp which is why I put it there as well.

Please post all replies on the WWII thread - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235051056-yellow-tips-and-black-blades-on-props-what-date-from/

Edited by rossm
Location for replies
  • Like 1

I'm not sure but while looking through the IWM site, I found this image. The caption states:

Groundcrew performing a routine overhaul on a Short Sunderland Mark I of No. 210 Squadron RAF, moored in Oban Bay, Scotland.

It is a wartime picture, as the aircraft is painted in camouflage and has a gas patch just forward of the cockpit. The props look to be painted black but the tip do not look yellow.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.179188196.1112134

Chris

Now that's interesting, checking photos it seems yellow tips were optional on Sunderlands, I found a Sunderland III in the white scheme without them, but it's also possible to find some with them.

In photos of silver ones they are often, but not always, lighter. They are in motion in the pic of the one I'm building but appear pale.

Hijacking my own thread I think the aerials on the nose and wing root mean that's one of the very few Sunderlands equipped with ASV Mk.I, the pic appears as a double page spread in "Sunderland at War".

• Julien locked this topic