What am I not getting about Acrylic paint?

opus999

I love Tamiya paints. They spray extremely well and have the best coverage of any acrylics on earth. I use Tamiya almost exclusively for basic whites and yellows precisely because they're the only ones that can cover even black pretty decently. Tamiya and Gunze are usually my go to paints because they don't smell as bad as lacquers, dry quickly (Tamiya particularly), and have better translucency than water-based acrylics. This is quite important to me since I embraced black-basing.

However, I concur that they are quite vulnerable to scratching. Far more than Gunze which dries rock solid. Just be careful with your models and avoid any heavy handed work until it's sealed. Also, unlike Gunze, Tamiya paints don't sand off evenly, an important consideration if you make a mistake or if you plan on using them as a primer (though if you know you won't need to sand the model anymore, X-1 gloss black is an excellent pre-NMF primer).

My main gripe with Tamiya is their inaccuracy. Most of them do not correspond to an actual color. I have little patience for mixing paints so I'm limited in terms of the range of Tamiya paints I will use. But there's still plenty (NATO tank colors, German tank colors, XF-24 makes a great FS36118, XF-4 great zinc chromate, etc.)

• Thanks 1

Oh and I meant to mention Mission Models paints as a water based solution - they have a proprietary thinner, but I've thinned them successfully with water. They spray incredibly well for a water based paint, and they're available from a source near you in Seattle - I'm not affiliated with Model Paint Solutions other than being a happy customer.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Oh and I meant to mention Mission Models paints as a water based solution - they have a proprietary thinner, but I've thinned them successfully with water. They spray incredibly well for a water based paint, and they're available from a source near you in Seattle - I'm not affiliated with Model Paint Solutions other than being a happy customer.

I'll have to check that out! We get to Seattle at least once a year. I suppose I could order it, but what's the fun in that?

On 2/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, Phantome said:

I love Tamiya paints. They spray extremely well and have the best coverage of any acrylics on earth. I use Tamiya almost exclusively for basic whites and yellows precisely because they're the only ones that can cover even black pretty decently. Tamiya and Gunze are usually my go to paints because they don't smell as bad as lacquers, dry quickly (Tamiya particularly), and have better translucency than water-based acrylics. This is quite important to me since I embraced black-basing.

However, I concur that they are quite vulnerable to scratching. Far more than Gunze which dries rock solid. Just be careful with your models and avoid any heavy handed work until it's sealed. Also, unlike Gunze, Tamiya paints don't sand off evenly, an important consideration if you make a mistake or if you plan on using them as a primer (though if you know you won't need to sand the model anymore, X-1 gloss black is an excellent pre-NMF primer).

My main gripe with Tamiya is their inaccuracy. Most of them do not correspond to an actual color. I have little patience for mixing paints so I'm limited in terms of the range of Tamiya paints I will use. But there's still plenty (NATO tank colors, German tank colors, XF-24 makes a great FS36118, XF-4 great zinc chromate, etc.)

It seems that the whole range is limited in scope too. I guess I don't mind mixing colors once in a while, but for some colors (my Azure Blue that started this whole mess, for instance) I have found multiple, wildly varying recipes on line.

Being fairly new to modelling.I bought a decent airbrush set up.And tried Vallejo couldn’t get on with it tried all sorts lowering pressure less thinner more thinner.Then i tried Tamiya great paint but kept thinking there must be better out there.Heard about Mission Models Paint.Bought a couple of bottles and there own thinner and the poly.To my surprise it’s amazing stuff.Mixing a little thicker than the others.But sprays extremely well.No tip dry and didn’t lift when you remove masking tape.Clean up is a breeze.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bryan71 said:

Being fairly new to modelling.I bought a decent airbrush set up.And tried Vallejo couldn’t get on with it tried all sorts lowering pressure less thinner more thinner.Then i tried Tamiya great paint but kept thinking there must be better out there.Heard about Mission Models Paint.Bought a couple of bottles and there own thinner and the poly.To my surprise it’s amazing stuff.Mixing a little thicker than the others.But sprays extremely well.No tip dry and didn’t lift when you remove masking tape.Clean up is a breeze.

Good to hear! Gives me an excuse to go over the mountains to Seattle... ;)

I have used acrylics for a while now and 

I think you have to learn airbrush and paintbrush techniques again as the paints are quite different. I prime with Halfords automotive or plastic primer and provided a model isn't handled too much before the top coat goes on, I have had few problems. The use of flow improver help with both brush and airbrush painting and talking to my brother who is an artist and teaches painting and sketching since he retired, he would never think of using acrylics without them. He also points out he rarely uses any paint without thinning apart from some oils and has to change his technique according to the medium. 

Go with works for you. I have also found domestic acceptability of my hobby has risen since using a low odour alternative (primer spraying being done outside or in the conservatory, providing both spray and model are at room temp, the minute or do to spray a 1/72nd scale model seems to be OK down to about 5 degrees C). 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey i recently retuned to modeling after a 15yr rest to discover all the hype over acrylics. Thats all it is hype modelers were tired of the same old manufacturers. Along came Vallejo I did the same thing subscribed to the hype and purchased the line. Fortunately i did a trial painting a plane with layers of a Vallejo then applying their wash. I thinned it with water to remove the excess then disaster struck the base laters just peeled off. I never had that problem with enamels the Model Masters and Humdrol line is available in all colours on line and never lets you down. Acrylics are difficult to airbrush and even harder to clean the old use warm water to clean up only gums up everything. Viva enamels!

Edited by Flaps out
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, Mr T said:

I have also found domestic acceptability of my hobby has risen since using a low odour alternative

That would be a big advantage to acrylics in this house. Luckily, my workspace branches out from the house so the smell doesn't make it into the main living areas, but I still get looks when various family members come in the room! ;)

On 2/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, Mr T said:

The use of flow improver help with both brush and airbrush painting

When I came back to the hobby I started with Acrylics and it was such a disaster with the airbrush.  Luckily, I read about flow improver and it changed my experience immensely! I think I can paint just as easily with Acrylics as with other types of paint, its the durability that's got me down. I'm trying to find ways to keep from handling my models so much after painting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flaps out said:

Hey i recently retuned to modeling after a 15yr rest to discover all the hype over acrylics. Thats all it is hype modelers were tired of the same old manufacturers. Along came Vallejo I did the same thing subscribed to the hype and purchased the line. Fortunately i did a trial painting a plane with layers of a Vallejo then applying their wash. I thinned it with water to remove the excess then disaster struck the base laters just peeled off. I never had that problem with enamels the Model Masters and Humdrol line is available in all colours on line and never lets you down. Acrylics are difficult to airbrush and even harder to clean the old use warm water to clean up only gums up everything. Viva enamels!

I haven't had much problem with painting Acrylics, it's just keeping them on the model. I have had to work harder to clean the airbrush after acrylics, though. Some people seem to have no problem with acrylics, but apparently I'm not one of them!

I tried my new Hataka paint this weekend and was very happy with the results. Although the "Azure Blue" was a bit on the purple side, everything else about it was outstanding. It flowed well, it behaved when mixed with Mr. Color leveling thinner, and it seemed quite tough.  As a bonus, it came in a dropper bottle so I didn't need to use a pipette and it had a ball bearing inside for mixing.

Given all the mentions of Lifecolour, I've decided to give that a whirl as well.  Probably on my upcoming Banshee model, since I have the paints I need for the others in the "inbox".

Thanks for all the thoughtful discussion!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so I decided to give the acrylics another try on a vehicle project I dubbed "Found on road dead" the colours I needed were available in Vallejo and Tamiya so I thought lets go with their thinners and cleaners to make life easier and it was actually a pleasure. One of the biggest bonuses to the acrylic line that I like as a modeller is that the special colours not common to military use azure blue can be applied in a flat finish then glossed up. Testors/Model Masters bright colours are 95% gloss. When I was looking for a dull finish of a weathered vehicle with some original paint left the Vallejo performed great with no tweaking.

20190327_230809-600x450.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, Flaps out said:

Ok so I decided to give the acrylics another try on a vehicle project I dubbed "Found on road dead" the colours I needed were available in Vallejo and Tamiya so I thought lets go with their thinners and cleaners to make life easier and it was actually a pleasure. One of the biggest bonuses to the acrylic line that I like as a modeller is that the special colours not common to military use azure blue can be applied in a flat finish then glossed up. Testors/Model Masters bright colours are 95% gloss. When I was looking for a dull finish of a weathered vehicle with some original paint left the Vallejo performed great with no tweaking.

20190327_230809-600x450.jpg

Wow! That looks terrific! And acrylics too? Hmm... it might be worth a try.