1/72 F-86A-Matchbox kit

Plumbum

22 hours ago, Johnv said:

OEqTdIw.jpg

Great paints!

Especially used together in different  angles. I also use them on another North American  när metal subject - the P-51D Mustang. Sometimes also with AS-12 Bare Metal Silver...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Thank you for the info....especially like the bare metal idea. Do you gloss coat

the metalic colors before decals? Just curious if I really need to.---John

3 hours ago, Johnv said:

Thank you for the info....especially like the bare metal idea. Do you gloss coat

the metalic colors before decals? Just curious if I really need to.---John

I glosscoated an F-86H several years ago and noticed how the cote bacame "yellowish" and destroyed that modell.

So no, after that I never glosscoat any kit painted in the Tamiya AS and TS bare metal paints. The oldest (an Hasegawa P-51D) is about 15 years now and still look fresh.

So my experience is that an glosscoat insn't needed. But I use Micro Set and Micro Sol for the decals...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Some more P-51D painted with AS an TS paints. I don't use primer either. Just wash and some polish with an soft cloth before painting...

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9158

I have three F-86D's on the building table so follows your build with interest. :)

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10161

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

19 minutes ago, Andre B said:

So my experience is that an glosscoat insn't needed. But I use Micro Sol and Micro Set for the decals...

A gloss coat isn't needed prior to applying decals to a matt finish either. All that is necessary is to make sure the surface is smooth, by polishing with a microfiber cloth, a paper coffee filter, or an old dryer sheet. Then apply the decals using Micro Set and Micro Sol (set first, then Sol; the order is important). Once the decals are dry, then overcoat as required.

I prefer to use gloss or satin paints to begin with. Glossing a matt finish changes the reflectance of the paint and darkens it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

A gloss coat isn't needed prior to applying decals to a matt finish either. All that is necessary is to make sure the surface is smooth, by polishing with a microfiber cloth, a paper coffee filter, or an old dryer sheet. Then apply the decals using Micro Set and Micro Sol (set first, then Sol; the order is important). Once the decals are dry, then overcoat as required.

I prefer to use gloss or satin paints to begin with. Glossing a matt finish changes the reflectance of the paint and darkens it.

I never use gloss coating as it in my experiences destroys the feeling of an bare metall aircraft.

But I use a lot of microfiber cloth prior to painting and decals...

Cheers / André

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wheels, drop tanks and some decals on. I'm not all that impressed with the decals but I have no other early

Korean war ones with the black and white stripes. I just painted the nose and need to do the tail flash next.---John

lW6mUoI.jpg

• Like 4

More decals and parts on. The main gear, nose gear, nose gear door and main gear doors are from a scrapped out

new mold Airfix 1/72 F-86F/E (M) kit, the wing tanks are Heller F-86F tanks. The Airfix and Heller parts are better quality.

I still have a bit of painting and a few decals left to go.---John

EcsoLnF.jpg

60uMt80.jpg

TID1IgS.jpg

• Like 3