This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I am about to begin building Italeri's 1:72 FW 189 A-2. I was lucky enough to receive this kit for Christmas, having been keeping an eye on it on several online shops. I love the twin boom, and huge greenhouse effect cockpit of this aircraft, and in its winter distemper colour scheme of 'Heeres-Aufklarungsgruppe 32' it looks like a mean bit of kit. So let's look at what the kit has in store....

IMG_20190210_154313

As usual the box art is beautiful, and the instruction booklet is detailed and clear, has the option of 4 colour schemes and decals suit your choice of build.

IMG_20190210_154317IMG_20190210_154419

There are 3 grey sprues, which appear free from flash, and have a nice amount of detailing, with panel lines that are not too deep.

IMG_20190210_154425

Then there are four clear pieces, these are going to take quite a lot of attention and time to mask up properly (but should be worth it in the end).

IMG_20190210_154440

This is going to be a straight from the box build, with landing gear down. I have decided to build the scheme of FW 189 A-2, Heeres-Aufklarungsgruppe 32 based in Finland, 1943. This is the aircraft pictured on the box art, and I have chosen that scheme firstly because it looks stunning, and secondly because I want to test my skills airbrushing the winter paintwork. I only hope I can come close to doing it justice.

Edited by Shelliecool

I'm in for that one. Always liked that type and built the Airfix one as a kid. Nice one for its time. I guess the Italeri one is the MPM kit. So short run with no location pins. You have to be careful with the wings/booms joints. The canopy is very clear; so maybe some interior additions? The greenhouse would show it all. For the wintercamo maybe the hairspray method? Keen to see, how this goes together. I have one in my stash and very unsure of doing one again (Only restoring old die casts now due to space limits and some other nostalgic reasons.) Cheers

Edited by bbudde

I'll take a seat for this if I may, will be interested to see how you do the white wash scheme!

Roger

Since my first post I have begun work on the FW 189, firstly washing the sprues and giving them a coat of Vallejo primer. I then began work on the cockpit and interior sections of the aircraft, giving the interior of the fuselage, floor plan, seats and instrument panel a coat of RLM 2. Once this had dried I built up the flight deck, and began adding fine details by hand, before applying the decals to the seats and cockpit.

IMG_20190216_091404

IMG_20190216_091411

While this dried I began masking the canopy and glass sections. I had already dipped them in Quickshine, and with a new blade painstakingly masked each little section. I have found some great hairspray technique tutorials on YouTube, and am very keen to use this on the winter distemper paintwork (I will copy a link at the end of this post), so have built up an old spare kit to use for practice. 

2019-02-16_07-09-09

I have to say I'm loving the detail on this kit and so far it's been great to work on. https

Hi Michelle,

a really special plane you have chosen to build. I do not know this kit, but it should put the old Airfix to pasture.

The thing with winter distemper, is that so often it was applied on the plane using a brush, a cloth, even a broom or whatever else was available. Fairly seldom an airbrush!

So I wonder if a flat paint brush would not be more appropriate, rather than an airbrush giving a nice, smooth finish, with or without hairspray.

OK, I am just being a pain. Carry on with the airbrush and the airspray! This is a great occasion to learn a new technique....

Have fun!

JR.

Hi again Michelle,

did I see a Yak 38, or did I dream it?

JR

44 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi again Michelle,

did I see a Yak 38, or did I dream it?

JR

You did indeed see a Yak 38.......I'm using it to practice my winter distemper, it's from an old kit I picked up for pennies online. Great idea about brushing on the whitewash, like you say it was often applied hastily and not as smooth as an airbrush.

Thanks,

Michelle.

Yes I would also recommending a brush and none too carefully.  Also unless you are depicting a freshly whitewashed airframe don’t use white but a very, very pale grey, I find the white to be too stark and clean.

AW