1/72 B-17

TANK63

23 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Not just started, but finished her too :yahoo:

She looks great!  I noticed that the artwork is not the same as on the real aircraft, but just like I plan on doing when I build mine, something close will work.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Well I ended up purchasing the Airfix Mk III B-17. Looks a stunning kit will post some pics when I start it. However can I ask advice on riveting as the model is devoid of them. Now I could put the rivets on but would one see them on a 1/72 model? Members thoughts on this please.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TANK63 said:

Well I ended up purchasing the Airfix Mk III B-17.

Good shout. Will you be gracing these pages with a WIP? I'd watch with interest.

I really enjoyed the Airfix kit and I think it has the best shape of the modern B-17s. I'm just disappointed that they  didn't tool the early tail turret when they provide the turret as a separate part anyway. 

225 B-17G-25DL and -30DL were built with the staggered waist positions and the original tail turret before the introduction of natural metal finish. Given how many people like to avoid N/M I'm surprised Airfix  didn't give us the early turret so we could do an OD/NG finished aircraft out of the box. An early G model would have been even better but I'm not sure the RAF got any with the unstaggered waist positions and I think they really wanted to do the RAF variant.

Mine is in N/M but I wouldn't mind building another in camo. I understand they're re-releasing the kit this year. I might give the Shapeways turret a go.

Stuart

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Looks like @tonyot's to be built queue! :giggle: (Only the Revell B-17F Memphis Belle with the iconic box art and Lindberg B-17G  is missing!)

Mike

See, I only have 1:72 scale G kits, no F:s at all. The Lindberg G is 1:64, if I recall correctly. V-P

On 1/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, Stuart Wilson said:

I'm just disappointed that they  didn't tool the early tail turret when they provide the turret as a separate part anyway. 

I agree it would have been nice if they'd done that, and I would cheerfully have traded that for some of the completely invisible interior detailing. Meanwhile,  there's a 3D-printed one available (though I have not seen it in the plastic) 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QBWQN9W29/1-72-b-17g-early-tail-gun-for-airfix?optionId=62253635&li=marketplace

And @vppelt68 on another thread showed that the Academy early rear turret can be made to fit well, and there must be a lot of those around in spares boxes by now - click through below for a pic

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

The Lindberg G is 1:64, if I recall correctly. V-P

Yep- you are correct. I built one back when I was a young lad, and it was fun trying to line all the turrets and bulkheads up and  keeping them in place while the fuselage halves were glued together. Ah, those were the days!

Mike