Italeri Sunderland MK I

I've always wanted to build a Sunderland. One of my favourite aircraft. Usually they were a bit too dear for me but my eldest son kindly bought me one for my birthday.

I've built it as a  Sunderland MK I of 230 squadron, Eastern Mediterranean 1941.

I must say for a new kit it was a bit of a struggle sometimes, probably due to my cackhandedness but I eventually got it all together. Lots of detail inside which I managed but on putting it together you can't see any of it! 

I brush painted it as usual, and as usual not that well! The decals were actually very nice though, easy to apply with no silvering and Italeri give you decals for eight different aircraft so excellent in that respect. I really don't like the beaching gear so bought myself a little stand instead. 

I know it is nowhere near the quality usually shown on here but I like to join in. 🙂

The weather is pretty overcast for pics but without further ado, he she is..

DSCN3172.jpg

DSCN3171.jpg

DSCN3174.jpg

DSCN3175.jpg

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3179.jpg

DSCN3180.jpg

DSCN3177.jpg

• Like 42

Nice - for me, I am always pleased to see another Porcupine  - one of my favourite Aircraft used during WWII and for me, far more interesting than Spits and 109's. Whenever I see a Sunderland, I always think of how the crew worked as a family in what really in effect was their own private 'flying home'.

I nearly bought this kit when Italeri first launched it but the deep panel lines started to plaque my mind and so I decided to wait and see what Airfix may one day come up with (and hopefully in a 1/48 variant)

Don't you go dissing of your own quality against the works of others - it is about sharing your work not comparing it; so well done to you here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice flying boat, I like the way it is painted, rather than the white and camouflaged colour scheme.

May I suggest brushing a couple more coats of paint to avoid the see through effect on the plastic?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice, one small thing. The tail fin flashes should lead with red.

You're right of course Steve.

I looked at the instructions and then promptly put them on wrong. 😫

Bloody annoying. 

Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

I noticed from the pic that I had missed the port roundel when matt varnishing so I have now dealt with that!

Thanks again everyone, what a great community it is here. 🙂