British MTB Deck Colour

nheather

Any idea what was the colour of Royal Navy MTBs.

One suggestion is B15 but that seems quite dark compared with photos and models that I have seen.

Also assuming that main colour of hull and superstructure was 507c or G45.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel 

The Sources (Lambert et al ) are all pretty consistent with B15 being the deck colour for mid to late war boats.  

For info and revisionist thinking re B15 check out Jamie Duff et als excellent pieces

Sovereign Hobbies Colourschemes Research

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037321-colourcoats-royal-navy-ww2-model-paints/

For later war there is this single picture that clearly highlights that by late 44/early 45 decks were being painted in a variety of schemes

c29ea8e9-d9fa-4776-88d2-3e82f37a06f8.jpg

I'm not aware of any colour pics of British MTBs - the only colour pics that I'm party to are of Canadian British Power Boat Company MGBs.  It's hard to be certain but the deck looks B15 (check the raft out) blue

22ce9810-8991-496a-ade3-66a6d2d81e76.jpg

For an example of B15 from Jamie's range - check out my Fairmile B - it's BLUE not "grey Blue" as it's often previously been described.

Black  and white pictures are so hard to gauge colour within :weep:

HT (some)H

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

... Canadian British Power Boat Company MGBs.  It's hard to be certain but the deck looks B15 (check the raft out) blue ...

You are correct, Rob.  The RN & RCN BPB MTB's both had B15 decks.

John

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I've just realized that 460 has no TT fitted in the above pic! just the supports.

As described in the book 'White Plumes Astern' written by Cdr. C. Anthony Law, RCN, the Canadian BPB MTB's of the 29th Flotilla had their torpedo tubes removed soon after the Flotilla was formed in March, 1944.  The TT's were replaced with 48 small depth charges on each boat.  It was rumoured that the German Navy was supposed to have introduced a new 'W Boat' submarine powered by a Walter hydrogen peroxide fuelled turbine, & the plan was for the 29th Flotilla to destroy the new submarine.  The German W boat was never sighted.  The 29th Flotilla MTB's saw action in the English Channel & took part in the D-Day invasion, without their TT's.  The TT's were refitted in mid June, 1944, after the invasion.

John

• Like 2