British Airways L1011 TriStar - Negus & Negus Livery

Thanks to you who have followed the kit over on the WIP forum pages. I've got to the end of another production line in 1/200 completing the very original Hasegawa L1011 kit from 1980 wearing the British Airways Negus & Negus livery - the new airlines first livery since the merger of BOAC and BEA.

The kit has Nazca Decals detailing set decals and the original kit decals which needed to be lacquered before use to hold the detail together.  The model has not turned out as well as hoped for several reasons: I chose to airbrush in enamels on this occasion and also, the flaps and slats should really have been made using thin and sharply cut plasticard as opposed to re-using the pieces removed from the wing edges - it looks a bit too clunky for my likings in 1/200 with these modifications using such thick original moulded plastic.

All in all though, like the majority of Japanese kits, this little Love Liner200 is an accurate and beautiful model to build.

Born in 1967, for me, this is a nice reminder of what the UK skies of my childhood looked liked like - my Dad skippered on these for a number of years before 747's and I can remember many jump seat trips up front on the Tristar; the flight deck was huge and the visibility was amazing. It is so sad that the age of the true widebody tri-jets is over and will never be seen again.

DSCF8494

DSCF8495

DSCF8498

DSCF8487

DSCF8482

DSCF8480

DSCF8478

DSCF8476

DSCF8464

DSCF8462

DSCF8461

DSCF8477

Thanks for looking in

John

• Like 39

Hi John,

No Negus TriStars for years then two come along in one week, would you believe it!

The Negus livery just 'fits' a TriStar I always think.

Super job on this one especially the dropped flaps. I know some don't like them but I think it adds so much more interest to a model. I'm just not brave enough!

You might want to swap the small back door for a regular sized one though, only BA TriStars leased from Eastern had the small rear doors.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

No Negus TriStars for years then two come along in one week, would you believe it!

The Negus livery just 'fits' a TriStar I always think.

Super job on this one especially the dropped flaps. I know some don't like them but I think it adds so much more interest to a model. I'm just not brave enough!

You might want to swap the small back door for a regular sized one though, only BA TriStars leased from Eastern had the small rear doors.

Cheers,

Ian

Loving your L1011 too Ian - annoyed that I missed it - and thanks for the tip on the smaller rear door as I did not know about that and BA. I am building a Negus Negus B737 200X from Hasegawa at the moment but have not put together a WIP yet on that. I am also building a 'what-if' BA DC-10-30 wearing the latest Chatham livery just for a bit of fun to make us think of what the stands at LHR / Gatwick might look like now had the DC10 survived this long...

What a little beauty John, I remember many trips on Tristars from Heathrow to Dubai in the 80's, mostly on staff tickets with the nervous wait to see if you were going to get on!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Viking said:

What a little beauty John, I remember many trips on Tristars from Heathrow to Dubai in the 80's, mostly on staff tickets with the nervous wait to see if you were going to get on!

Cheers

John

Hi John

oooh the old staff sticky ticket stand-by service - yep, remember it well. Packing your bag hoping to fly out staff stand-by to the likes of SA and ending up in the Seychelles due to full flights. We didn't appreciate how lucky we were at the time, staff travel is not the same now - we enjoyed the golden years of staff travel

Just beautiful, John. The finished product looks so real. I made some comments in the WIP section, without realizing that you had finished up. So may I echo what ahs already been said?? This is a beautiful rendition of a beautiful airplane. you have captured the L-1011's majesty in your work. I especially love the Nazca details, thought they can be finicky at times. If you hadn't mentioned the "clunky" to-scale kit flaps/slats that you used, they wouldn't have been noticed as "clunky." The wings, flaps, and slats, are beautifully done. Paint work is quite nice, highlighting the detail of the airplane. Job well done! :like:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Just beautiful, John. The finished product looks so real. I made some comments in the WIP section, without realizing that you had finished up. So may I echo what ahs already been said?? This is a beautiful rendition of a beautiful airplane. you have captured the L-1011's majesty in your work. I especially love the Nazca details, thought they can be finicky at times. If you hadn't mentioned the "clunky" to-scale kit flaps/slats that you used, they wouldn't have been noticed as "clunky." The wings, flaps, and slats, are beautifully done. Paint work is quite nice, highlighting the detail of the airplane. Job well done! :like:

well thank you very much - your comments made it all worth the while making the kit. As turbofan said, the Negus livery was a perfect fit for the majestic shapes of a L1011 and I thoroughly enjoyed making this little beaut.

cheers

14 hours ago, phil1 said:

top class job! i also love the background imagery with the clouds - how did you achieve that??!

phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for the words

I bought some background display posters off ebay from a Japanese supplier HAKONIWAGIKEN that supply a wide range a diorama backgrounds and display ideas for modellers. For around £10, the posted me 4 huge reversible posters which can be draped over a flat surface with the other end suspended behind the model while being photographed

this link - youtube.com/c/hakoniwagiken-diorama

will give you a good idea of how the product works

John

9 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Phil

Thanks for the words

I bought some background display posters off ebay from a Japanese supplier HAKONIWAGIKEN that supply a wide range a diorama backgrounds and display ideas for modellers. For around £10, the posted me 4 huge reversible posters which can be draped over a flat surface with the other end suspended behind the model while being photographed

this link - youtube.com/c/hakoniwagiken-diorama

will give you a good idea of how the product works

John

great stuff John - I was wanting to do something very similar, that is if you don't mind me nicking your idea! 

Phil

18 hours ago, phil1 said:

great stuff John - I was wanting to do something very similar, that is if you don't mind me nicking your idea! 

Phil

for sure - go for it Phil - being old school, I don't have up-to-date photoshop skills to edit out that brass upright support rod, so if you can do better, then all for the betterment of the readers enjoyment on the forum

John

Just now, Gimme Shelter said:

for sure - go for it Phil - being old school, I don't have up-to-date photoshop skills to edit out that brass upright support rod, so if you can do better, then all for the betterment of the readers enjoyment on the forum - PS - this Japanese supplier has a facebook website frontend as well if you can find it

John