Bae Hawk Dragons in the Valley

Colin W

Hi Chaps. 

The 50s NATO GB contribution is almost finished so this is on cue. I bought 5 Airfix Hawks when they were released about 15 years ago. I've built 2 and here are the last 3. The last one I built was for the Britmodeller 2011 training GB! How time flies. Time might not allow me to make all 3 but I'm going to be attempting 2. One will be in a Dragon scheme as my daughter's at university in Wales and the other probably a  TWU wrap around. 

20190210_16300820190210_162738

Colin W

• Like 7

• Colin W changed the title to Bae Hawk Dragons in the Valley

20190218_072432

Well I've made a start on the Hawks,  starting with the cockpit. Tubs and fuselage assembled and painted med sea grey. Seats in dark sea grey and rear instrument cover in 137 rubber. I did the 6 seats so I can choose the best 4 or build the  3rd hawk.

Colin 

• Like 3

Made some progress on this build over the weekend. Seats were done during the week but now with the Tubs installed in the fuselage. Rear instrument panel assembledin the coaming. Fuselage assembly next. 

20190223_120224

Meanwhile I started on the wings. One will be flaps up with the other down. Both were sanded on the inner face to thin the trailing edge.  Flaps up was straight forward. For the other I cut out the flaps before joining the halves. I glued some strip to the upper surface before joining the halves. This has allowed a sharper edge and filled the gap between the two. 

20190223_223300

I'm finding working on the pair to be quite efficient. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Ripping along now. Fuselage halves assembled and the resin rear deck added. Flaps finished and ready for installation. 

I'll do the intakes next as they were a bit of a challenge on my last build. 

20190224_200527

Colin 

• Like 2

A little bit of progress this week. Intakes added and gaps filled. These seem to be an issue for all Hawk kits and I don't see why. I Have filled in the gaps in both wings and flaps so ready to either fit the wings or add flap actuators next. 

20190225_072945

Colin 

• Like 3

Cheers Col

Looking like a near miss for the Red Arrows, I decided to put the wings on and start looking more Hawk like. It took quite a lot of adjustment to see the gaps closed so hopefully not much filler needed. 

20190225_211306

Colin 

• Like 2

Wow it's been quite a busy weekend on here. I found my post at the bottom of page 2 after 24 hours. 

I've done most of the cockpit work with the exception of the seats. 

20190302_115713

The flaps have been a bit tricky. 

20190302_115729

I spent ages working on the flaps to get them looking close to the real thing. My hawks are early boxings and all the numbers for the flap actuators on the instructions are jumbled up which didn't help. Once I got that sorted the problem became the centre spoiler which always sat too low. Finally I fitted it above the main flap then cut away the upper wing until it was in the correct position. This also means that it's ok from the bottom. 

20190302_115742(0)

Now I know why few Airfix Hawks are seen with the flaps down. 

Colin 

• Like 3

Cheers Cliff, It's interesting to see how often Hawks have their flaps down on the ground. Usually jets have them up nowadays. 

Colin 

A bit more progress now. Undercarriage bays done in light aircraft grey, canopies and wing fences fitted then a primer of Mr Surfacer to check the finish. 

I found some air bubbles in the resin so these had to be drilled out and filled, otherwise ok.

20190310_003646

Colin 

• Like 3

Well I've gone from grey and white to black and grey. Wrap around green next for #2. For the black I used the new Tamiya lacquer. It's given me a really good gloss. The DSG is normal gloss, flat by comparison. 

Wing fences are fitted and air bubbles filled. Nav lights added sanded and masked. 

20190310_193209

20190310_193229

Black hawks are pretty smart!

Colin 

• Like 5

I'm looking for something different to fix to the TWU  Hawk. These are rocket pods from Academy's Hunter. Are they the same for the Hawk? It seems reasonable but they're quite big.

20190310_193300

Colin 

Thanks Col

That's a good link back to Britmodeller. I have an Airfix Canberra in the stash so I'll see if I can recover the 18 shot SNEB from that to see how they compare.

Colin 

• Like 1

Another busy weekend for the Hawks. Too many imperfections in the black gloss lead to a sand and repaint. The grey needed a touch up before masking and application of the green. 

20190316_143835

Main undercarriage units applied and masking removed from the wheel bays.

20190316_192438

I have 2 sets of aftermarket wheels in white metal. 1 set won't fit due to the brake drums being cast onto the legs and the other set arn't even round. I've been trying to recover something but have now decided to use the kit ones.

Colin 

• Like 4

Started decaling the models this week. The first Dragon was the hardest but the second went on much better. The TWU Hawk scheme is more typical so no problems there. 

20190322_214912

Nose wheels and undercarriage over the weekend by the look of it. 

Colin 

• Like 7