Canberra PR9, 1/48

Lord Riot

7 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Would I be correct to assume that in around 85-88, a camo PR9 would have had silver wheel hubs, gloss light grey oleos and white undercarriage bays? 

@canberra kid perhaps you'd be able to confirm? 

That sounds about right, apart from the main legs are more likely white, with just the lower part of the nose wheel in medium grey but not the mudguards. they could be white or silver. Have you got a specific airframe in mind? 

John

• Thanks 1

Superb! Thanks John, always great to see the actual subject. The lower photo is probably the era I'm going for, with the underwing serials, although I'd like the 39 sqn badge on the fin too.

5 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Superb! Thanks John, always great to see the actual subject. The lower photo is probably the era I'm going for, with the underwing serials, although I'd like the 39 sqn badge on the fin too.

I guess the bottom photo was taken around the time she was moving from 13 Sqn to 1 PRU/39 Sqn so the Sqn badge would have been added soon after this was taken?

John

• Like 1

I thought I'd have a go at making my own little cameras for the camera bay. Just a paint brush head protector tube cut up. I'll then fill the middle with Clearfix to make it look like a lens. I cut two at an angle for the side lenses facing out a bit.

IMG07421552903578.jpg

Seems a perfect fit! ...

IMG07411552903578.jpg

Of course the join looked so bad in the photo above I reached straight for the filler!

IMG07431552903578.jpg

• Like 4

Fill one hole, only to find more!

IMG45811552917032.jpg

I'm determined to try and make this as good as everyone else's on here; no join lines, no holes ... no idea how but I'm giving it a go! 

• Like 3

I remember from @Mikey-1980's PR9 build that the Airfix kit has one of the engine vents on the wrong side, so I melted in a new one and filled the erroneous one. It looks a bit scruffy but I'm sure it'll be ok after a coat of paint.

IMG07671553008166.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Mike! I'm still not sure what to do with the biggest camera bay in the middle, was it just one huge camera in there? In most photos it seems to be just blanked over like a standard bomb bay. 

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I remember from @Mikey-1980's PR9 build that the Airfix kit has one of the engine vents on the wrong side, so I melted in a new one and filled the erroneous one. It looks a bit scruffy but I'm sure it'll be ok after a coat of paint.

Good catch David,
I was too late with Mikey's build with the heads up, whilst you're at it, do you want sort out the shape of the bottom of the fin? it's wrong, it comes too far forward. take a look at my WT333 build, WT333 If you want to do it, it's not too late or difficult, I have a drawing.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, yes definitely, I'll give that a go on the fin. I saved your before and after photos of WT333 to use as a guide. Not sure how well it'll turn out but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Not done any painting yet as I'm waiting for more masking tape, and some medium sea grey spray - they do look light a/c grey underneath, but I'll go with your Canberra knowledge, it must be correct! 

Just seen this thread. Good work so far. I have this, and the B(I)8 in my stash.  I've built the B.2, and I needed 125g in the nose (okay, actually behind the cockpit, as there was no room in the cockpit) just to get it to sit anything like level. 

40622968544_b3219478f4_k.jpg20180402_224641 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

41505816621_3b1e50f033_k.jpg20180416_224207 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 2

That's a beautiful Canberra Paul! Love those 85 sqn markings. I need more Canberras!

Next up will be a 100 sqn TT18 hopefully, if that's possible from the old 1/48 Airfix Canberra B2 kit.

Here we go, taking advantage of the pleasant weather to do some spray painting. The BS638 satin dark sea grey sprayed first; not too many massive join lines, so reasonably happy so far. I'll give her a day to dry then start making the blu-tack worms ready for spraying the green.

IMG07961553095735.jpg

IMG07971553095735.jpg

• Like 3

This is looking rather good. I love the solution for the cameras...very inventive. :wink:

I guess you'll have it all wrapped up pretty soon. Ican't believe how quickly you put your models together...you're way faster than I am. I don't have a particularly large stash, but at the rate I'm gong I'll never be able to make them all before I pop off. I'd better get my skates on if I want at least most of 'em built !  :worry:

• Thanks 1

Dammit in my haste I forgot the tailfin mod! Too late now, hopefully it isn't too noticeable.

Thanks @Timmas. As you can probably tell from my RFIs your quality over quantity is better, I wish I did take more time but I'm always kind of impatient to see the finished model! I am trying to take more time over detail these days though.

20 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That's a beautiful Canberra Paul! Love those 85 sqn markings. I need more Canberras!

Next up will be a 100 sqn TT18 hopefully, if that's possible from the old 1/48 Airfix Canberra B2 kit.

Thanks. I'm building all the aircraft 85 Sqn have used over the years.

I was at Wyton when 100 had their Canberras.  I can't see any real issue with converting the B.2 to TT.18

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if there is a decal for the black frangible panel on the nose? The Airfix decals didn't seem to include one and I'm not entirely sure my hand painting 'skills' are up to it! 

IMG08101553159020.jpg

43 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Does anyone know if there is a decal for the black frangible panel on the nose? The Airfix decals didn't seem to include one and I'm not entirely sure my hand painting 'skills' are up to it! 

IMG08101553159020.jpg

I'll draw the panel up for you if you like, but you'll need to get it printed somewhere as I don't currently have a decent enough printer for it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, very generous and helpful! Really appreciated! 

@Timmas thanks, I'm not sure our printer is up to the task either to be honest, perhaps a cut decal like @canberra kid suggested would be simpler? I feel I'm rather taking liberties of you John, please do let me know if you ever need any spares or decals, etc I could help with! Thank you gents. Saves me trying to paint a perfect rectangle!