This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Following the recent arrival of my two Revell Phantoms I was tempted to make one, but for some reason this ebay bargain (hence no box and cut decal sheet) was calling out to be made first!

I love Canberras, as well as being superb aircraft they empitomise a glorious era for British aviation and bring back memories of their surprisingly loud flights over Norfolk on summer days. I remember seeing a T.4 near the spotters lay by at Marham in the early 90s, whilst parked up on a grass verge nearby was an old style travellers' wooden caravan; it was like going back in time to the 50s. 

Back in the present day, of course the Canberra has sadly gone, another victim of the government's short-sighted and unambitious ceding to the bean counters with no defence or aviation knowledge. However, once again I digress, back to the kit!

I'm undecided on the scheme to go for, although I favour the camouflage it seems this may have been gloss. I only have satin sprays, can anyone confirm gloss only or is there evidence of satin green/grey?

Secondly, the instructions say no serial under the wings, but I've seen photos of green/grey Canberras with this, and some without. @canberra kid if you have time (and inclination), please do you have any info on options for a PR9, circa 1984-90ish? 

IMG44921549879080.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot

Thinking I may go for this option, if satin spray is glossy enough, and if they still had underwing serials by the mid 80s.

IMG44951549908571.jpg

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thinking I may go for this option, if satin spray is glossy enough, and if they still had underwing serials by the mid 80s.

Nice! from what I remember it was around this time that the underwing serials started to disappear and the big roundels appear, The colours were always gloss up to the hemp days and they were generally well looked after too, but in 1/72 scale I think most people would say satine would look better any way. Just an early heads up too, the underside colour is Medium Sea Grey not Light Aircraft Grey as I think it says in the instructions>

John  

Thanks @canberra kid, I'm glad you said that, I was planning on using light a/c grey underneath! 

@Mikey-1980's WIP will be really helpful too. 

Happy to help @Lord Riot

If you want a subtle gloss finish, I do recommend the Tamiya TS-13 Semi gloss clear coat rattle can. It gives you just the right amount of gloss over the satin paint. 

By all means use as much info from my build as possible, and of course @canberra kid 's reference library too

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/?&pagesize=36&page=3

Will your build be straight out of the bag....I would say box, but there isn'y one ;) 

I'll take a look at the left over Xtradecal sheet I have at home. See if there is anything on there that you can use for your build. 

Thanks @Mikey-1980!

I think she'll be out of the bag, although I'm surprised Airfix didn't include any cockpit decals, especially for a kit of this size! I can't afford a resin cockpit though so I'll just try and paint it as best as I can. I'd like to display her canopy open though, so might raid some other cockpit decals from something!

Is anything in the kit glaringly inaccurate?

Only slightly innacurate....the Nav seat that the instructions (next to the pilots seat, but on the lower deck) say to include was never there on the real aircraft. I would leave it off the build all together and utilise that space for weights as you will need quite a bit. I hammered and folded into shape some lead flashing. I've yet to test it on the under carriage, so fingers crossed. 

The cockpit is a bit basic, but with some skillfull painting it should look the biz! I also used some plasticard to box up the cockpit so you dont see into the fuselage. Take a look through my build for some ideas.

I foolishly did use a resin aftermarket display panel and wish I didn't. The amount of modification needed almost put me off. Stick with the stock one if you can?

@Lord Riot as @Mikey-1980 says, plus. depending how deep into it you want to go there are quite a few problems with the panel detail, the problem with the vents on the engine nacelles that I pointed out too late on Mikey's build, the seats are the wrong type for the PR.9.

John 

Hi @Lord Riot

As promised the remaining Xtradecal I have left for the Canberra.

If you want them, PM me your address and I'll get them out in the post to you.

47074744401_43c4c91ab7_z.jpgDSC_1945

47074744301_921f53f284_z.jpgDSC_1947

47074744101_31e483b413_z.jpgDSC_1946

The only decals you are missing from the main sheet supplied are the Chilean airforce markings.

Let me know, and I'll get them sorted for you before I buger off to S.A for a week :)