Canberra PR9, 1/48

Lord Riot

Crikey, page 2 already and I've only just cottoned on. I'd like to tag along if I may? I have a recently-acquired Canberra in my stash (1/72 scale...not a bigg'un like this) and I'm interested to see how your's comes out.

Edited by Timmas
typo fix
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:01 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Found some great colour footage again of the RAAF

@canberra kid

John,

What is that black panel seen in the video beginning at 1:20? It's under the port wing inboard of the engine nacelle. Some sort of antenna or sensor? Never noticed it before.

Mike

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

@canberra kid

John,

What is that black panel seen in the video beginning at 1:20? It's under the port wing inboard of the engine nacelle. Some sort of antenna or sensor? Never noticed it before.

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes it's the doppler aerial they can have one two or non, dependig on Mk. and date. 

John

• Like 2

I think that's about as good as I can get the join lines around the cockpit. I sprayed primer and it didn't look too bad. The primer came out a bit thick though so I wiped it off so it doesn't ruin the lines that are meant to be there!

I'm not sure whether to give this a wash over with dark dirt wash after painting, these Canberras look quite clean in most photos. Maybe just on the light grey undersides.

IMG05541551608411.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Dona decent job there!

A lot better than my effort :)

Not sure about that, I'm reserving judgement until it's painted! 😂

Did you leave the tiny windows in the nose until the end? Seems better to paint first then glue them in and attach the nose cone, but with all the nose weight stuffed in there it's become a tight squeeze.

they attached from the inside so I glued them in and then masked them over.....infact I totally forgot about them until you just mentioned them.....need to pull off the maksing tape haha!

• Haha 1

haha, errrrr dropped a bollock........there are 2 decals on the sheet I sent to you that I actually need......the small black registration number XH165 that go on the front landing gear...

Oops.......will have to go with out them.....*face palm

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

haha, errrrr dropped a bollock........there are 2 decals on the sheet I sent to you that I actually need......the small black registration number XH165 that go on the front landing gear...

Oops.......will have to go with out them.....*face palm

If you send me your address I'll send those back to you, no probs!

• Like 1

The instructions say to use the smooth upper ailerons, but the kit includes a set with bumps that match the bumps on the wing. Which is correct?

IMG45411551716980.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Damn. Is it true if you leave glued parts in the freezer you can pull them apart? Should have asked before gluing! 😕

The law of sod! If it screws up I have spares in stock if you need them, it's the ones with the lumps you need to use.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, canberra kid said:

The law of sod! If it screws up I have spares in stock if you need them, it's the ones with the lumps you need to use.

John 

Yes please John, that would be fantastic, thank you! I can't unglue mine, the freezer technique didn't work. I'll pm you. It's just the standard ailerons I need, without the bumps.

Thanks!

A bit more progress this afternoon; the fuselage was a bit narrow at the bottom, I think very slightly bowed in, so I stuck a couple of sprue pieces in there to make the camera bay fit properly.

IMG06371552326451.jpg

Seems a pretty smooth fit now:

IMG06381552326460.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/1/2019 at 7:16 PM, canberra kid said:

It is hard work to get it to fit, I've not succeeded yet to get a 'good' fit when I get around to my definitive PR.9 build I'll try to nail it.

xKBbOO.jpg

JESUS MY EYES!!!!!!!!:)

• Haha 1

I still wasn't happy with the fit of the cockpit fairing area, so used a bit for filler then Clearfix, sanding it smooth after. I'll give it a light spray later to see if that's finally resolved the join line issue.

IMG0656-131552404293.jpg

• Like 1

Starting to look more like a Canberra now.

I believe the wings have no dihedral and are completely straight. They'll need a tiny bit of filler along the top of the roots though.

IMG06861552644297.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Mike! Feels like I've been sanding and filling that cockpit area for weeks! 😂 I bet there'll still be joins! 

I've got about 90g in the nose so far, I'm planning to pack in a few more in the nosecone as well, so hopefully it'll stand up properly. I'll just stuff in as much as I can.

• Like 1