Canberra PR9, 1/48

Lord Riot

Spectactular job there @Lord Riot - Absolutely no probelm in using my build for inspiration, thats why I put it up to help anyone else :)

Great save withyour cammo job too, you'd never know that there was a slight hiccup...keep going chap!

• Thanks 1

I'm glad I left off the nose cone before checking whether I'd added enough weight! Despite having well over 100g she would still have been a tailsitter, but I've added another heavy bolt right in the front nose cone so that resolves it. Almost ready to sit on her undercarriage now, just waiting for the glue to set solid. I remember when I used to make models as a kid and after gluing the undercarriage I left them to sit on their own weight, often only to come back and find them collapsed! No such issue here.

If anyone plans to make this kit, you cannot have enough nose weight. Pack it in as far forward and as much as you can. At least 150g needed to be sure. Then add a bit more.

IMG09421553598234.jpg

• Like 3

Quite a few aerials and various extraneous bits to fit then I just need to decide what to do with the camera bay doors. Erring on the side of painting them but leave a clear circle over the camera lens. Anyone know if that's correct?

IMG09521553622837.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure that white aerial on the rear fuselage is right for an 80s one, all my photos seem to have camo PR9s with just a light there. Anyone know for sure if it was fitted later? 

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Riot said:

I'm not sure that white aerial on the rear fuselage is right for an 80s one, all my photos seem to have camo PR9s with just a light there. Anyone know for sure if it was fitted later? 

I'll check, I can't remember when thd ILS got moved to the tail but I think you could be ok? I'll get back to you this evening.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps!

Mike, I have absolutely no idea to be honest. I once tried that melting sprue trick but filled up the kitchen with black plastic smoke and just ended up with melted plastic which in no way resembled an aerial.

As it's a larger scale I was wondering about using black cotton, but I bet everyone says it's still too thick! 😂 Anybody have any better ideas? Is there anything out there available, aftermarket wires or similar?

• Like 1

You've certainly got this 80's camo business down to a fine art now! Looking brilliant and really like the cameras.

One suggestion for the antenna cable is E-Z Line (here's a link to a site selling it but currently has no stock).

I've read a few reviews or forum articles and some think it's a bit thick, but I'd imagine it's good enough for 1:48 scale. Most people do seem to say stretched sprue is best but I'm with you in that it's a messy PITA. I'm pretty sure I had a roll of E-Z line fine black from when I had a crazy idea of building a 48th scale Hercules years ago. If I still have it (which I should do) and you fancy giving it a go I can cut you a length and post it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Filler, and yes please if you still have the EZ line that would be brilliant, thank you! I'll pm you my address.

I'd love to have seen that 1/48 Herc mate, that would be some kit! Might need its own room to display it in but probably worth it! 😂 

3 hours ago, Filler said:

You've certainly got this 80's camo business down to a fine art now! Looking brilliant and really like the cameras.

One suggestion for the antenna cable is E-Z Line (here's a link to a site selling it but currently has no stock).

I've read a few reviews or forum articles and some think it's a bit thick, but I'd imagine it's good enough for 1:48 scale. Most people do seem to say stretched sprue is best but I'm with you in that it's a messy PITA. I'm pretty sure I had a roll of E-Z line fine black from when I had a crazy idea of building a 48th scale Hercules years ago. If I still have it (which I should do) and you fancy giving it a go I can cut you a length and post it.

Ooh a 1/48 Herc.  Want to make one with internal lights & motors driving the props....  needs to be an early RAF one in grey / green, not the current Js

• Like 2

Well I have found the EZ line thread and it looks ok to me, but whilst it's hard to tell for sure, maybe John's thread is finer still looking at that terrific model above. I'll get some of this to you in the post tomorrow and you can decide for yourself if it's good for your model.

@bar side, sadly my Herc didnt work out due to a combination of various build problems and unfortunate timing and regrettably got binned. It was ruddy huge though!!

Edited by Filler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@canberra kid That's interesting. Did she not have a very long life? I ask because I flicked though my 1981 copy of Ian Allens Military Serials and she wasn't listed at all. So I pressume she'd been scrapped or lost by then.

• Like 1

Just now, Filler said:

@canberra kid That's interesting. Did she not have a very long life? I ask because I flicked though my 1981 copy of Ian Allens Military Serials and she wasn't listed at all. So I pressume she'd been scrapped or lost by then.

I'd have to check but I think she got the chop in the mid 70's? But she had a very active R&D life. 

John

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I'd have to check but I think she got the chop in the mid 70's? But she had a very active R&D life. 

John

That's a shame she wasn't preserved. I took a very quick look and I see she even spent time in the states working with NASA.

I've got a couple of Canberra kits and following the recent builds on here and even having been in the cockpit of the T4 in Newquay last week I think that I should make one of them my next effort. I even have an uncle who served in the RAF and he was on Canberras for a while, based out in Singapore at RAF Tengah I seem to recall.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Edited by Filler
Apology
  • Like 1

You can't have too many Canberras! I've got another three in the stash, one of which will definitely be a TT18 with yellow and black stripy undersides. If I can find the decals and some aftermarket Rushton target pods anyway. 

Not sure if you've seen this @Filler but there could be potentially good subjects for kits here: https://www.rafseletar.co.uk/raf-tengah/aircraft-based-at-raf-tengah/canberra-aircraft-at-raf-tengah-1957-to-1970/