Canberra PR9, 1/48

Lord Riot

6 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks chaps, very generous and helpful! Really appreciated! 

@Timmas thanks, I'm not sure our printer is up to the task either to be honest, perhaps a cut decal like @canberra kid suggested would be simpler? I feel I'm rather taking liberties of you John, please do let me know if you ever need any spares or decals, etc I could help with! Thank you gents. Saves me trying to paint a perfect rectangle!

Ok no prob at all. I've just drawn a set of special decals for another BM member so I'm happy to do it for other folk too if required.

• Thanks 1

I masked mine off, painted it, and then added the decal supplied over the top....job done :)

Dont do what i didn and didnt let the paint dry thoroughly.....caused a bit of silvering. smeg!

• Like 2

Disaster has struck. My first major issue since returning to modelling really, but unless I can recover it this kit is ruined.

For some reason the green blistered on the fuselage. I wiped it off while wet and it took the underlying grey with it, leaving an uneven surface. I thought it must be the grey paint reacting with the green, but the wings are fine! 

I think I have two options;

1. Let it dry then sand down the fuselage and respray it.

2. As above but soak off all the green and grey then respray it hemp.

I prefer option one but I'll see how it turns out when dry and how easy it is to rub off all the green on the fuselage. No idea how bad it'll look where it joins the grey under those blu-tack snakes either. The nose was even worse, it looked like lichen. Gutted. 

IMG46221553189964.jpg

• Sad 2

The green was Tamiya AS-30. 

The grey was custom-filled BS638 from RAL Aerosols. I've never had this issue before when spraying over it, but maybe it's a different mix this time.

Strange though how the wings were ok, if it was a reaction to the paint I'd expect it all over. 

Rub down accomplished, I'll mask it up and try again tomorrow. I can't get it all off but it feels smooth after I buffed it too. I might spray the green first this time, then touch up any grey as required.

IMG08201553196356.jpg

IMG08211553196356.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, well I have to try, I'll see how it turns out. Don't really want to have to splash out on another one.

Anyone have any tips on salvaging from here? Is it rubbed down enough or does all the paint have to go?

That's not happened to me (yet) but it's probably only a matter of time. :waiting:

One thing I read on one of the build threads on BM was to apply a clear varnish after each colour eg; grey / clear / green / clear. It seems that it's a good way of protecting each paint layer before applying the next and it helps to avoid the kind of lift off that's happened here. It might be worth experimenting with / trying something similar on this? I can't offer any advice on which clear coat to use with your paints but maybe someone else can. :fingerscrossed:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had this blistering effect happen to me before when I was custom painting a few phone cases in a Cold War cammo pattern.

The only thing I can think of is that Tamiya paints do not play very well with other paint types. There must be an ingrediant in the rattle cans that differs causes this type of reaction.

Humbrol and Tamiya paints to use to gether are a big no in my experience.

I really hope you salvage this as best you can David....You've done awesome so far, hate it to be scuppered by a slight hiccup. 100grit + sand paper, get it as smooth as you can and I'd invest in Tamiya rattle cans for your paint job.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I might invest in some Tamiya DSG instead of these custom filled cans. I must have just got lucky with the Tornado as I used the same combination as the Canberra. Maybe the grey needs more than 24 hours to dry before applying green?

The recovery is underway ... 

IMG08261553248305.jpg

Sanded as smooth as I could get it, then green resprayed. 

I'll leave the green to dry then mask up and overspray the missing grey areas. There was some slight blistering but only where the colours joined and I hadn't sanded, so I sanded away those bits and I'll cover with the grey. The camo pattern may be slightly out now but not by too much.

IMG08271553248304.jpg

• Like 6

Almost there! Just need to tidy up near the cockpit and just behind it on the spine, but I think it's recovered from yesterday.

Does anyone know what the equivalent brush paint is for Tamiya AS-30 spray? I need to touch up where the blu-tack pulled off the green.

IMG46271553268778.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Almost there! Just need to tidy up near the cockpit and just behind it on the spine, but I think it's recovered from yesterday.

Does anyone know what the equivalent brush paint is for Tamiya AS-30 spray? I need to touch up where the blu-tack pulled off the green.

My local model shop keep telling me that the Tamiya brush paints and rattle cans dont match.  I can quite believe it but haven’t tested this out yet

Like a woman in a dodgy nightclub I was unhappy with the touching up. The XF-81 green is as I suspected not a close enough match to AS-30, but that's all I had, so once it dried a different shade I decided to bag it up and respray the offending areas.

IMG0858-931553337541.jpg

IMG08601553337541.jpg

20 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Like a woman in a dodgy nightclub I was unhappy with the touching up. The XF-81 green is as I suspected not a close enough match to AS-30, but that's all I had, so once it dried a different shade I decided to bag it up and respray the offending areas.

IMG0858-931553337541.jpg

IMG08601553337541.jpg

Looking good to me! well done, I'll get the black panel in the post today for you.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John! 

This is about as good as I can get it. Just hoping the masking tape doesn't pull the green off when I mask her up to spray the undersides!

IMG08671553341939.jpg

Yet more bagging and masking! I just realised this is the first 1/48 kit I've done that isn't wraparound camo! I may do the underside first next time. 

IMG08761553365831.jpg

IMG08751553365830.jpg

And finally, the medium sea grey sprayed (not light a/c grey - thanks @canberra kid!) 

IMG08791553365832.jpg

I think I might have a break from camo next and do a grey Phantom or Lightning! 

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I think I might have a break from camo next and do a grey Phantom or Lightning! 

Yep, got a camo Phantom & doing a drey one now!  Mind you the last Phantom was wrap around SEA camo RF-4

• Like 1

I haven't been able to find any photos of the big camera bay in the bomb bay, so I took inspiration from @Mikey-1980's recent PR9 build and made a camera cradle. Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea Mike!

The other cameras will be the cut paintbrush covers which I'll do tomorrow. The 'lens' in this case is a little clear plastic bead inside a cut off Victor refuelling drogue. 

The kit has clear covers for the camera bays but most photos I've seen seem to show them covered up and the same grey as the rest of the underside. It seems a shame to hide the extra work though, so I might paint them but leave a clear circle over the camera part. Not sure what would be most accurate, anyone know? Did PR9s ever fly with all clear doors over the camera bays, or did they slide open?

IMG0911-791553468408.jpg

IMG09101553468407.jpg