Canberra PR9, 1/48

Lord Riot

Following the recent arrival of my two Revell Phantoms I was tempted to make one, but for some reason this ebay bargain (hence no box and cut decal sheet) was calling out to be made first!

I love Canberras, as well as being superb aircraft they empitomise a glorious era for British aviation and bring back memories of their surprisingly loud flights over Norfolk on summer days. I remember seeing a T.4 near the spotters lay by at Marham in the early 90s, whilst parked up on a grass verge nearby was an old style travellers' wooden caravan; it was like going back in time to the 50s. 

Back in the present day, of course the Canberra has sadly gone, another victim of the government's short-sighted and unambitious ceding to the bean counters with no defence or aviation knowledge. However, once again I digress, back to the kit!

I'm undecided on the scheme to go for, although I favour the camouflage it seems this may have been gloss. I only have satin sprays, can anyone confirm gloss only or is there evidence of satin green/grey?

Secondly, the instructions say no serial under the wings, but I've seen photos of green/grey Canberras with this, and some without. @canberra kid if you have time (and inclination), please do you have any info on options for a PR9, circa 1984-90ish? 

IMG44921549879080.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thinking I may go for this option, if satin spray is glossy enough, and if they still had underwing serials by the mid 80s.

Nice! from what I remember it was around this time that the underwing serials started to disappear and the big roundels appear, The colours were always gloss up to the hemp days and they were generally well looked after too, but in 1/72 scale I think most people would say satine would look better any way. Just an early heads up too, the underside colour is Medium Sea Grey not Light Aircraft Grey as I think it says in the instructions>

John  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy to help @Lord Riot

If you want a subtle gloss finish, I do recommend the Tamiya TS-13 Semi gloss clear coat rattle can. It gives you just the right amount of gloss over the satin paint. 

By all means use as much info from my build as possible, and of course @canberra kid 's reference library too

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/?&pagesize=36&page=3

Will your build be straight out of the bag....I would say box, but there isn'y one ;) 

I'll take a look at the left over Xtradecal sheet I have at home. See if there is anything on there that you can use for your build. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Mikey-1980!

I think she'll be out of the bag, although I'm surprised Airfix didn't include any cockpit decals, especially for a kit of this size! I can't afford a resin cockpit though so I'll just try and paint it as best as I can. I'd like to display her canopy open though, so might raid some other cockpit decals from something!

Is anything in the kit glaringly inaccurate?

Only slightly innacurate....the Nav seat that the instructions (next to the pilots seat, but on the lower deck) say to include was never there on the real aircraft. I would leave it off the build all together and utilise that space for weights as you will need quite a bit. I hammered and folded into shape some lead flashing. I've yet to test it on the under carriage, so fingers crossed. 

The cockpit is a bit basic, but with some skillfull painting it should look the biz! I also used some plasticard to box up the cockpit so you dont see into the fuselage. Take a look through my build for some ideas.

I foolishly did use a resin aftermarket display panel and wish I didn't. The amount of modification needed almost put me off. Stick with the stock one if you can?

• Thanks 1

Hi @Lord Riot

As promised the remaining Xtradecal I have left for the Canberra.

If you want them, PM me your address and I'll get them out in the post to you.

47074744401_43c4c91ab7_z.jpgDSC_1945

47074744301_921f53f284_z.jpgDSC_1947

47074744101_31e483b413_z.jpgDSC_1946

The only decals you are missing from the main sheet supplied are the Chilean airforce markings.

Let me know, and I'll get them sorted for you before I buger off to S.A for a week :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a brief hiatus for a romantic break with the mrs, a trip to the Harry Potter studios then succumbing to the evil cold bug that's been going around, I've finally managed to get back to the workbench!

Not much achieved, admittedly but I've painted the matt black 'coal pit'. Not sure what to do about the dials, etc. Can't believe Airfix didn't include cockpit decals for a kit this size.

It needs 100g nose weight too, apparently. Anyone know why there are two almost identical cockpit covers? 

IMG45241551020877.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

After a brief hiatus for a romantic break with the mrs, a trip to the Harry Potter studios then succumbing to the evil cold bug that's been going around, I've finally managed to get back to the workbench!

Not much achieved, admittedly but I've painted the matt black 'coal pit'. Not sure what to do about the dials, etc. Can't believe Airfix didn't include cockpit decals for a kit this size.

It needs 100g nose weight too, apparently. Anyone know why there are two almost identical cockpit covers? 

IMG45241551020877.jpg

I think you will find you're going to need more than 100g if you aren't going to have the Nav's nose open then you can stuff that area full of weight, if not just get as much as you can as far forward as you can! I'm not sure why Airfix duplicated the upper decking? from memory the only difference between the two parts is that the PR.9 part has the hole for HF aerial mast, seeing as the PR.9 is just a suped up B(I)8 there are a lot of commonality in the kit and the real aircraft!

John  

• Like 2

My first 1/48 kit on returning to modelling aircraft.  Got to say it is satisfyingly big.  I never trust a high gloss finish on a model.  It looks too much like, well, a model!  It’s like shiny dinky cars.  Quick coat of semi gloss or Matt and they look more believable. 

• Like 2

It's a shame that most of the orifice will be covered up, it brushes up ok with matt black and dry brushing silver.

IMG05461551130717.jpg

I'll definitely display her with the canopy open though so the pilot's office should be a bit more visible.

IMG05471551130717.jpg

IMG45341551131732.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 4

Great job on the standard cockpit there! 

That's looking splendid. 

Yes, nose weight. She's a real tail -sitter. 

I did the B57 version and it was a good build, and plenty big enough 

And you've got plenty of expertise on board here as well! 

Plenty of Canberra love on here. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fuselage fits together nicely, though the cockpit area needed some persuasion.

There's also a big gap around the upper decking section around the cockpit which needed a bit of filler. I've added around 60g of nose weight as it seems plenty heavy enough when holding it. Anyone know if I need more? It says 100g in the kit but that really does seem excessive.

IMG45351551204676.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

The fuselage fits together nicely, though the cockpit area needed some persuasion.

There's also a big gap around the upper decking section around the cockpit which needed a bit of filler. I've added around 60g of nose weight as it seems plenty heavy enough when holding it. Anyone know if I need more? It says 100g in the kit but that really does seem excessive.

IMG45351551204676.jpg

It is very tricky around there, I've not got one to fit right yet! As for weight, yes you're going to need more, getting on for twice as much! but as I said the more you can get to the front, the less you will need but I think you'll be looking at 100g at least.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fuselage join needed a lot of sanding, then a hard rub with fine grain sandpaper (12,000) to buff out the sanding marks. Like all of my models I won't have been able to completely eradicate the join line but it should make it less noticeable.

How do you pros completely remove join lines?

The cockpit fairing area needed sanding and a third lot of filler! 

IMG45361551348644.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you're experincing the same issues I had with the cockpit. Painin the preverbial.

It took forever to fill, sand, fill again, sand some more etc. etc etc. you'll get there though bud

So far it's looking great though, I used some lead flashing hammered into shap and then superglued into place. 

• Like 2

Yes, still coping with the huge gaps around the cockpit. I don't think I'll be able to get it completely smooth, but the filler should help a bit. Strange design from Airfix to have that extra fairing around it.

IMG0551-761551458507.jpg

Wow, those Canberras are superb John! I've got some filling and sanding to do yet! 

I might spray it first to see how badly the lines show up, as quite often I feel I've sorted it only for the paint to reveal huge gaps and uneven filler.

• Like 1