There's a Tiger in the Valley *** Finished ***

RJ-WobblyHands

My entry for this GB will be the HobbyBoss 1/48 Hawk T-1A  No 4 Flying Training School, RAF Valley 

qkVEPs4.jpg 

Fhgg7U4.jpg

Though I had thought of building an F-5E Tiger of VFC-13 Flying Saints Adversary Squadron - “Training the Fleet Air Wings”  from NAS Fallon 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 10

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Airfix kit. Watching with interest .

I decided I liked your 'tigers in the valley ' strap line so have shamelessly stolen it for my dragon.

🙏

Colin 

Edited by Colin W
added thanks

We have started awaking the Tiger..... The sprue shot , quite a few parts for a 'simple' kit and probably half will not be used as they are pylons with various options missiles and bombs, there is a little PE fret for seatbelts and ejection handles. As is common with most HB/Trumpeter kits a lovely clear canopy with a nasty seam down the middle to polish out. I have not found a picture of this aircraft with anything attached so it will be a nice clean aircraft with nothing hanging under her wings or belly.

nROWcSs.jpg

Then I broke out the tools and started building the cockpit ... seats 1st, 6 parts + some PE  ... 🤔🤔 ... I have never seen MB Mk.10 with a flared head rest (Google agrees not seen a Hawk with a seat like that) , time to test the modelling skills rather than just the assembly skills. 

D74Q44g.jpg

Next update soon!

• Like 2

The very early Hawks had a fairing on the top of the seat which was deleted later on. The seat on the blutack in your picture is a good copy of the early seat so spot on for an early Hawk. For a later Hawk you need a normal MB10.

I'm not sure when the change occurred but it seems the early Hawks were retrospectively fitted with the later seat. 

Colin 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colin W said:

The very early Hawks had a fairing on the top of the seat which was deleted later on. The seat on the blutack in your picture is a good copy of the early seat so spot on for an early Hawk. For a later Hawk you need a normal MB10.

I'm not sure when the change occurred but it seems the early Hawks were retrospectively fitted with the later seat. 

Colin 

Thank you - that makes sense, prime scheme for the kit is the TWU Hawk from  RAF Chivenor circa 1981 therefore the older MB10 is correct :) , I have now found pictures ( thanks to my dad's vast collection spanning nearly 80 years ! ) of XX226 from RAF Valley in 1987 sporting the White over Red trainers scheme and with the old style MB10 seats, but by 2000 / 2001  when she was wearing the black scheme with the Tiger on the tail the ejection seats had been upgraded to the new MB10 ones.

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 1

A little more progress on the cockpit , the IP decals are a bit thick and non compliant (even with a bucket of micro-sol) therefore it was time to  show true wobbly hands and crack open the paint ! 

q89qfc1.jpg

a light wash next - needs to looked lived in this aircraft was  at approx 15 years old in 2001 

There is nothing noted in the instructions for adding nose weight but I will add some probably 10/15 grams should be enough - that is the next step

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having been away for for a short break it was time to do some filling and break out the hairy stick ...

Spoiler

i1EN0Iq.jpg

in the house - 2 rooms decorated enough modelling points scored - on with the build

This is where I am with modifying the kit Mk10 seats - a little more painting and they will pass under the closed canopy  

I hope to get them in place and the fuselage front section closed up tonight / tomorrow :) 

xUurZe5.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Given the nature of your 'holiday' I hope you've scored sufficient points to gain peace for some considerable time! :lol: 

A small update :  front end buttoned up now some dry fitting to see how it will fit with the backend and wings -- Ooh it looks like plane without the pilots seat .... that protruds just enough to be broken by my big hands , it will get fitted when I attach the canopy 

iGn3VL0.jpg?1

All those drill holes that are not going to be used :) , we are a clean trainer 

bdlxh92.jpg?1

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Todays update :  there has been progress  (A new 3D printer has distracted me - I never knew melting plastic could be sooo much fun) !!  - All major parts assembled and seams faired in , overall it was a good fit no major issues with the joiins. Most of the fiddly bits - bumps, antenna etc have been fitted , airbrake has been fettled and attached in the closed position , just the main canopy to finish and fit 

QXvAvfh.jpg

90BLQPR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally all buttoned up , and a coat of primer applied ... 🤔  Gloss black primer for a glass Black finish I did not think of that before I started LOL !!!

I have started working on the undercarriage it's starting to come together!

N8BrV6t.jpg

eY53f9s.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good job there and nice to see it finished. 

Well done for the decals. The tigers head is great and good to see the roundals still white despite the black underneath. 

Colin