A pair of B-17:s

I don´t usually dare to do RFI- posts outside the comfort of the GB section, but this time I thought maybe quantity * size > requirements for quality 🤭. So here are my builds from the recently ended B-17 STGB at this forum, of course. I´m halfway building a B-17G from each four squadrons of the 381st Bomb Group and I hope the second half will be done next summer in the GB section, where else?

2018-12-31_03-53-31

I first built a Revell B-17G kit, externally out of the box but adding some interior details that were never to be seen again after the fuselage was buttoned up. You live and you learn.

She´s the rather well known B-17G-35-BO 42-32025 "DREAMBABY" from the 533rd Bomb Squadron. Decals by Revell and Kits-World. The plane name is hand painted, pin-up chick comes from Little Miss Mischief and was used as a stand-in as good enough pic for trying to depict the correct one didn´t come up though I looked for it. The kit was brush painted with Humbrol enamels.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that she does indeed carry my initials 😘

2019-02-03_08-16-08

As there was time left in the GB I decided to try build another one, so I bought an Airfix new tool B-17G kit. She´s a somewhat freelanced representation of B-17G-70-BO 43-37852 "Betty Lou" from the 534th BS. Decals again a combination of kit supplied and Kits-World. The plane name again was hand painted as there´s a good pic of the plane nose with one of her crews. The rear fuselage appearance though is based on a civilized guess only. This kit was also brush painted with Humbrol enamels. :hmmm:Actually, all my kits are. Best regards, V-P

• Like 26

26 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Looks like a lifetime supply of oil leaked from each one of those engines.

Nice modelling.

:rofl2: indeed - just check the picture in my signature! Though I maybe overdid that a bit in the first one... But I´ve seen a few decades old colour plate of the VP*R where the nacelles where captioned and shown painted black! V-P

A lovely pair of B-17's from best BG in the 8th -  "Triumphant We Fly"  , we had 3 of the 4 squadrons represented ( time was not on my side I have a Revell B-17F that will be built in 381st colours - that is for another GB)

Thanks again for running the B-17 STGB 

• Thanks 1