Eduard Tempest

Nachtwulf

First time posting one of my builds. I do not build fast. I do enjoy building but also the learning/research is what strikes my fancy. So follow this thread at your own peril. You will age before its all done and probably not in a good way.

Just two photos to start. Taken with my phone as I don't have a camera any more. (the batteries corroded in  the camera waiting to be used)

This is the the kit raised panel with the kit decals,

tempest-inst.jpg

and the cockpit, again out of the box 

tempest-cockpit.jpg

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Off to an excellent start, got to love a Tempest! Are you going for 'factory fresh', or a battered war horse? 

Mike 

Thanks Mike!  I tend to favor light weathering mostly because I don't have the eye to accomplish anything else.:banghead:I am going to try some pre-shading and post shading on this build, but lightly, I hope.

More updates... Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

20181222-131426.jpg                                                        I used Alclad Matt Aluminum straight  onto the plastic.20181224-101735.jpg

The Cockpit tubing was VERY delicate! It broke in several places during construction. Thankfully all of the broken spots were hidden behind other parts.

20190109-100521.jpg

Here is a glimpse of the cockpit installed. Really difficult to see all of it once buttoned up. The side consoles are a mix of kit supplied photo etch and kit decals. Some of the decals were quite small but went on without a problem.

20190121-112954.jpg

Perhaps one of my favorite parts of building, attaching the wings! I found the bottom locating pin on the forward bulkhead interfered with the wing pushing it down because the hole for the pin was too small. Simply cutting the pin off greatly improved the fit and the pin isn't needed at all anyway. Notice that I'm using the Series 2 gun ports as I have chosen a late JN serial # that was built to series 2 specs. Does that make it a series 2?:shrug:

20190217-154527.jpg

Though it looks like the seam is still running through the flap area it actually is filled with CA and sanded flush. I blocked off the shell ejector chutes. You will also notice that I ended up not using the series 2 gun port as they didn't fit the wing as well as the series 1 barrels. This actually works better for me as the series two gun ports should have been lower in the wing. This way I can cut off the series 1 barrels (which you can see I already have done) and drill the new gun port locations with out filling in the old ones.

Any criticism or thoughts welcome.:door:

20190217-182845.jpg

• Like 11

Here is my effort to correct the series 2 gun ports.. first I used the series 1 barrels and cut them off.

20190216-105701.jpg

I always use black marker to see where I am drilling. It makes locating the pilot hole easier. The right hand gun has the pilot hole and the left is the final size, 1.25mm.

20190221-102104.jpg

The rest of the picture are the results on the other wing.

20190221-100407.jpg

20190221-100558.jpg

20190222-090142.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally Decals! Almost done with them except for the fastener marks, they are decal #S47 for those with the kit. There are lots of them. The landing gear, hood, exhaust, and spinner are not finished yet just placed without glue for pictures. The color kind of washed out in the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still need to clear coat and weather..

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time...... I have seemingly lost my mojo once I got to the weathering part of this build. What do you do to get going again? I really want to finish this and move on since it is creating a roadblock to starting anything else. Looking for inspiration.....:suicide:

• 1 year later...

Hi Dale,

I arrived here via Wistos' Tempest as you added a helpful link.

I have the same kit backed up it the stash, in fact 2, a Series 1 and Series 2, and I'm always keen to see what someone else has done. Your Tempest looks really great!

I wouldn't worry overly about finishing/weathering, just when you're ready. But I am intrigued, why the Alclad Semi Matte Aluminum primer? Something to do with weathering?

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Dale,

I arrived here via Wistos' Tempest as you added a helpful link.

I have the same kit backed up it the stash, in fact 2, a Series 1 and Series 2, and I'm always keen to see what someone else has done. Your Tempest looks really great!

I wouldn't worry overly about finishing/weathering, just when you're ready. But I am intrigued, why the Alclad Semi Matte Aluminum primer? Something to do with weathering?

Cheers,

Thank you for the kind words! The Aluminum primer is just so I can see any flaws that need to be fixed that much easier. I also though it might make the paint look better.