Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk VB

Thoroughly impressive rendering of Sqn Ld Jan Zumbach's Mk Vb! It takes a skilled modeller with an artist's eye to make the ancient (relatively speaking) Airfix kit look so good.

A minor remark concerning the aerial wire: it shouldn't be there. 😉 Already in the fall of 1940, the HF radio sets (which required the wire) were exhanged to VHD sets, with the much shorter aerial hidden within the antenna post itself. On the other hand, according to the photo below, RF•D had the IFF aerials on each side from about the centre of the fuselage roundel to the tip of the stabiliser:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/spitfire/zumbach-spitfire/

As you can see, the triangular prong on the antenna post was deleted on Zumbach's machine. Also, note the bullet holes in the wing and aileron!

Spitfire antenna gospel is here: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Fabulous model, really.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Thoroughly impressive rendering of Sqn Ld Jan Zumbach's Mk Vb! It takes a skilled modeller with an artist's eye to make the ancient (relatively speaking) Airfix kit look so good.

A minor remark concerning the aerial wire: it shouldn't be there. 😉 Already in the fall of 1940, the HF radio sets (which required the wire) were exhanged to VHD sets, with the much shorter aerial hidden within the antenna post itself. On the other hand, according to the photo below, RF•D had the IFF aerials on each side from about the centre of the fuselage roundel to the tip of the stabiliser:

As you can see, the triangular prong on the antenna post was deleted on Zumbach's machine. Also, note the bullet holes in the wing and aileron!

Spitfire antenna gospel is here: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Fabulous model, really.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Only problem to the critique: The photo shows EP594, whereas the model is of EN951. And when we are here, it had IFF-antennas. 

There is a very nice little booklet about Zumbach's Donald: Matusiak, Wojtek, Zumbach’s Donalds (Model Detail Photo Monograph, 5; Warszawa: Rossagraph, 2004). A little gem with all the photos needed of his various Donalds. 

Edited by NPL
  • Like 2

oh bugger - I missed the mirror!! I'll have to make that and go and fix it!

I knew there were some variations on the aerial - to be totally honest I added the fine wire because it is a nice model detail! 

I appreciate it may not be 100% accurate...but great links above - thanks!

• Like 1

In fact the kit decals depict the Battle of Britain flight Spitfire AB910. But the kit isn't correct for AB910. That has the different antenna and mirror, four bladed propeller and  wing stiffeners as can be seen in this photo. Also obviously the weathering isn't appropriate if you were building AB910. You could change the serial to the actual WW2 one to the correct it. But to honest it's such a good build I wouldn't want to mess with it. I personally wouldn't be bothered if it was mine. I like it as it is wrong serial or not.

Vickers Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb AB910  coded  RF D

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Who cares if it's not the exact replica of the real thing, it's your build and you've done a great job on it, I have the same kit that I'll build on a later date.

Next up will be the rivet counters.

• Like 2

Allyby, as caterhamnut admits, he will have t o go back to make the special arrangement for the mirror. It is a very characteristic feature of Zumbach's Donalds. Otherwise, I am not in disagreement. Especially if the model is for private use. In an IPMS competition the model would be slaughtered because of such 'free inventions'. And one point is remarkable, that the streakes from the guns are there, because it is evident that they have recently been fired. It seems to have been a busy day in the office for Zumbach!

On 2/11/2019 at 6:59 AM, Spitfire31 said:

Joachim

As those bullet holes appear to extend beyond the trailing edge and almost into the pilot's sleeve, I would say that's a bit of damage to the original print. What say you?

@caterhamnut Great build. Personally I don't much for all this debate about whether it's accurate or not, you've enjoyed the build and it looks excellent!

Nice one chap!

ATB
Rick

Wot Spad said.

There are some useful accuracy pointers posted above that might be useful for the future, but I think you’ve produced a very impressive result indeed from a kit that is hardly state-of-the-art. Nice one. 

stunning model - I am not a Spit fanatic (I leave that to everyone else) but I love your work here - a true masterpiece. Such a beautiful aeroplane no matter which variant or which colour scheme...and your model just adds the final touch to the sentiment of the Spits Glory