Italeri Ferrari F40 :16 scale

Tim K

This kit was bought from a charity shop together with a Jaguar Something or other. Cost about £5.00 some ten years ago. My last modelling a diorama took some months I was looking for something easy and cheap to bash out hopefully over a weekend. The chassis went together really well with all four wheels touching the glass plate. There after most things went wrong. I tried a quick spray gloss on the clear parts.... that didn't work even after days of sanding and polishing. A home made decal to hide some of the  worst areas of the glass didnt work it came out far too pale. I made some clear parts from clear sheet acrylic  head light covers and near driver side window.

The inside (seating area) didn't fit squarlie onto the chassis so I screwed the tub? onto the chassis before eventually gluing. The passenger door frame was warped this eventually was replaced with wire cut into the frame to give the correct shape.

The engine didn't sit onto the chassis properly and the various tubes form the engine didn't fit into the orifices esp. the exhaust hole in the rear body work.

The red gloss air brushed Tamya didn't cure for months. thanks for all the suggestions.

The body work bonnet, body shell over the cabin and the rear opening and rear body work didn't fit together - more screws prior to gluing.

It took months of painful remedial work and on and off with the lead up to Christmas and then Hogmonay - hoorah.

DSC07143

DSC07145

DSC07146

DSC07153

DSC07156

DSC07158

• Like 2

Despite all the troubles, it's still ended up a decent result, probably quite satisfying I'd imagine knowing that you've gone into battle with it and triumphed. Having got one of the XJ220's in the stash, I can also appreciate just how big the F40 is too.